General Etiquette > Life...in general

Polite way to not waste a salesperson's time (and yours) ?

(1/5) > >>

gena264:
After the post about the roofers and my husband , it got me thinking of another question to ask you all.  Awhile back I noticed a really pretty wedding ring on a friend's facebook page. She had actually 'liked' a particular design company of these types of rings , so I went to their website and loved a lot of the styles of rings and thought I would see if they had a store locally so I could look at the rings in person.

There happened to be a location pretty close to where my husband and I do our shopping so we stopped by about 10 minutes after the store was supposed to open. We went to the door and it was locked and there was a small (about 15 pound ) dog in the store barking. Someone arrived at the door right away, unlocked it and let us in. I asked about where I could find the particular designer I was interested in , and the person said that they were just getting ready to bring the items out to put in the display case.  These things had already kinda put me 'off' the place, but the guy was really pleasant so it wasn't too big of a deal.

so we sit by the display case and look at the rings as he is setting them out. We make small talk, I try on a few rings (not really liking them as much in person) and I ask something about what size diamond the ring has. He says that all the middle 'diamonds' from this particular designer are actually Cubic Zirconia. I was a little surprised because the rings were pretty expensive , but I later learned that the cost was mostly because of the design. After he said the rings were CZ and that it would be an extra charge for a real diamond, I knew that the rings would be too expensive for me to purchase. I thanked him and was going to leave but my husband was making no move to leave. I knew he wasn't interested in the rings, he told me at the beginning he didn't want to look at them, but went in for me. So I sat there awhile longer while he 'pretended' to be interested in the rings after he heard me tell the guy that i was not interested anymore. When we left the store I asked him why did he continue to waste his time and the salesperson's time talking about rings that we had no intention of purchasing (after finding out they were CZ)? he said that he didn't even want to go in there anyway and he 'hates that '.

Was he being polite to continue to pretend to be interested in something he knows we won't buy? When I go to a store and look at something to purchase and I find out I probably won't be buying it (due to cost, or whatever reason) , I thank the salesperson and leave. I don't feel obligated to them and I feel my time is valuable and why waste it? I wonder if my husband is the one who is doing the polite thing though? What is the best way to leave a situation when you know you won't be purchasing an item after looking at it in the store (when talking with a salesperson) ?

I also just wanted to add as a side note that we have been married for almost 21 years and I have a ring, I was just looking to upgrade it. It isn't a case where he didn't want to look at rings with us being engaged. I can see how that might be confusing.

Girly:
I specialize in Non-Profit bookkeeping. I have had many people call me and ask me questions, some with 'no intention' of utilizing my services. I really don't mind helping someone out and answering a few questions for them.

More than once now, months later, they called me back and now want me to do their bookwork for them for whatever reason (takes them too much time, they had their audit and found out they know less than they think, the old person that was full-time quit, etc)

I don't think you were rude... you went in there with a legitimate question, and he helped you. As a sales person, sometimes you make a sale, and sometimes you don't. You didn't say your husband continued to ask questions for hours, and you never know, maybe he was looking for something for you as a surprise later on.

Lynn2000:
One thing I'm confused about--what did your DH say when you asked him why he stayed at the store after you announced you weren't interested?

I do think it can be awkward with salespeople/sellers sometimes, because it feels rude to turn tail and leave abruptly, but it also feels rude to drag things out when you know you won't buy anything (plus, you want to leave). I think they probably get a lot of rejection and will understand that not every customer can be a sale, but appreciate it when someone tries to leave pleasantly. My mom and I like to look around a lot of little craft/antique/decorative stores but often we don't buy anything--if an employee/owner starts chatting with us and we know it won't go anywhere, we'll often say something like, "You have a beautiful store. Thanks for letting us look around," as we leave. Maybe it seems silly to say "thanks" for looking around a store, but it makes us feel better, and we hope it makes things pleasant for the other person, too.

So, in another situation, when you realize you don't want any rings, I think it would be fine to make noises and body language of conclusion--if you know what I mean--and maybe say something like, "You have beautiful merchandise. Thanks for letting us look," and then walk firmly outside. If your DH stays behind I don't know what to do about that! :) But I don't think there's any reason to linger someplace if you actively want to leave. It will just lead to resentment and unpleasant feelings.

gena264:

--- Quote from: Lynn2000 on March 07, 2013, 03:15:29 PM ---One thing I'm confused about--what did your DH say when you asked him why he stayed at the store after you announced you weren't interested?

--- End quote ---

His reply was that he didn't want to go in the store in the first place and he 'hates that'. I guess by that he means he hates to just leave right away...although we were in the store for at least ten minutes..

Lynn2000:

--- Quote from: gena264 on March 07, 2013, 03:20:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: Lynn2000 on March 07, 2013, 03:15:29 PM ---One thing I'm confused about--what did your DH say when you asked him why he stayed at the store after you announced you weren't interested?

--- End quote ---

His reply was that he didn't want to go in the store in the first place and he 'hates that'. I guess by that he means he hates to just leave right away...although we were in the store for at least ten minutes..

--- End quote ---

Oh, okay, I read that in your post but didn't realize that was his answer. I guess it didn't make any more sense to me than it did to you! :)

Any chance there were other things he wanted to look at in the store, and he felt like you rushed him out? Otherwise, I got nuthin' there...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version