General Etiquette > Life...in general

Correcting directions

(1/3) > >>

Knitterly:
I am having a dilemna over whether it would be rude to call someone out over grossly inaccurate directions in a local mom's group.

I belong to a local facebook Mom-2-mom swap and sales group.  It is city-specific and is an outlet for buying, selling, and swapping used children's goods.  It's generally a FANTASTIC group and I've met many wonderful local mothers through this group.  It's the sort of group that attracts very nice people, and so far I have not met any crazy people, but instead find myself chatting and connecting with people over the most innocuous things like rubber duckies and princess dresses.

Generally speaking, I am willing to drive around a bit to pick up things. 

The situation is as follows:
Someone posted a bin of toys for sale and there was one little toy for $1 that I wanted.  It was cute.  I knew LK would love it.  She did.  She hasn't let go of it since I gave it to her.

The person (let's call her Jane) posted that she lives at Long Street and Cross Street.  I thought that was fantastic.  I live within walking distance from Long and Cross.  It's a lovely 15 minute walk for me.  We made arrangements for me to pick it up yesterday.  I planned on stopping by on my way home from somewhere, so I'd be driving not walking.  She sent me the address and I casually though "Oh, that's a little further than Long and Cross."  I figured it wouldn't be much futher, though

Long Street crosses 2 townships, taking one all the way up to Very Rural Airport.

As I'm driving, I come up on Long Street and Airport Road.  I still haven't come upon her house yet.  At this point, we are well past walking distance.  We're in Rural Township, heading towards Very Rural Township.

I spot her house on the border of Rural and Very Rural.  I'd been driving for a solid 30 minutes.

Please note, if I'd realized just how far she was, I would not have driven out there.  Not for a $1 toy.  I probably spent at least $10 in gas just to get there and back.

I was annoyed but brushed it off.

3 more items were posted today, all of which bear the line "I live at Long Street and Cross Street."

Long and Cross is accessible by bus.  Long and Airport is not.  Long and Rural is DEFINITELY not. 

Should I post something along the lines of "Actually, you're quite a bit past Long and Cross up at Long and Rural.  That may make a difference for those taking the bus."

Although there are 3 moderators, they do not interfere in postings unless there is a big problem with scamming.  This woman isn't scamming - she really is selling these items and for a reasonable price, too.  She's just grossly misrepresenting her location. 

(I suspect she's misrepresenting because Very Rural Moms are routinely asked "Can you meet me at Big Central Mall" or "Can we meet halfway?" and occasionally seem to have difficulty offloading their used goods.)

bonyk:

--- Quote from: Knitterly on March 08, 2013, 07:59:31 AM ---(I suspect she's misrepresenting because Very Rural Moms are routinely asked "Can you meet me at Big Central Mall" or "Can we meet halfway?" and occasionally seem to have difficulty offloading their used goods.)

--- End quote ---

This is a scam, IMO.  I would contact moderators, and let them decide.

Perfect Circle:
I agree, tell the moderators, do not post anything yourself. Or contact her and tell her she's misrepresenting her location.

lowspark:
I agree with PPs. Report her to the moderators. Yes, she is really selling those items, but is it really at a reasonable price? You said it yourself -- you spent more time/gas getting there than was worth it and had you known the actual location, you would not have gone. So in this respect, it is a scam of sorts.

As a side note, it might be a good idea in the future to google the address of any other transactions like this before heading out there. That way you know before you leave the house if it's close/convenient.

Knitterly:

--- Quote from: lowspark on March 08, 2013, 09:07:20 AM ---I agree with PPs. Report her to the moderators. Yes, she is really selling those items, but is it really at a reasonable price? You said it yourself -- you spent more time/gas getting there than was worth it and had you known the actual location, you would not have gone. So in this respect, it is a scam of sorts.

As a side note, it might be a good idea in the future to google the address of any other transactions like this before heading out there. That way you know before you leave the house if it's close/convenient.

--- End quote ---

I always do that if I don't know exactly where I am going.  But in this case, her address was actually on Long Street and I live one street over from Long Street.  She gave her address as being Long and Cross and I live at Next Street and Cross Street.  I walk to Long Street and Cross Street all the time.  Next time, I will google, even if they give me an address as being My Street and Intersection Road.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version