Author Topic: This is just low.  (Read 9676 times)

strawbabies

This is just low.
« on: March 08, 2013, 10:09:52 AM »
http://healthyliving.msn.com/pregnancy-parenting/healthy-household/why-chinese-women-are-faking-pregnancy

Apparently, there are women in China wearing silicone pads to fake being pregnant so they'll be offered seats on the bus! 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: This is just low.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:11:40 AM »
That's sort of like the people around here who put mannequins in their passenger seats and drive in the HOV lanes!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 10:22:29 AM »
Its not really a new idea though. For decades women have arched their backs, pushed their bellys out and rubbed them hoping to score a seat on crowded train. Its obnoxious when its done to get someone to stand up, but I actually think its fine to do when the hope is to get some guy to close his outsteched legs taking up two seats, or to guilt someone to put their bags on the floor instead of taking up a seat.

Otterpop

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »
Around here (Los Angeles), even being hugely pregnant won't get you a seat on the train.  I remember being 7 mos. and standing in front of the car because that was the only place left.  Everyone (men/women young and old) stared slack-jawed as I swayed, grip slipping on the overhead pole and struggled to stay standing.  I finally sat down on the floor and stared back.  No one flinched.

If they are compassionate enough to give up their seats, good on their culture.  Shame on the women who take advantage.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 10:55:27 AM »

I think it's kind of funny. I wonder what they do with the fake bellies when they aren't wearing them. They're kind of bulky to just shove in a purse.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 11:09:46 AM »
In New York getting a seat on the subway is not easy either.  Unless you're either seriously decrepit or obscenely pretty.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 11:13:49 AM »
I don't agree with it but at the same time I'm frustrated by the trend that premium spots should be reserved for those who are visibly pregnant or have young children with them. A lot of people have very valid reasons for wanting to sit down, park closer, get through a line quicker, etc. but you don't see anybody going out of their way to accommodate that (except, of course, for spots legally reserved for those with handicapped placards).

I'm not unsympathetic, I had 3 pregnancies. Middle DS was so big I had OB nurses asking how far overdue I was when I was only 36 weeks! My kids are close in age so at one point I had a newborn, 15 month old and barely 3 year old. I get it! Even still, I never had anyone offer me a seat or go out of their way to hold a door for me and that was okay. The only time I got upset was when people would take one look at me, assume I was going to slowly waddle around, and hurry to cut in front of me to get to a door or a line, etc. Sheesh!  ::)

I guess if you're just lazy and entitled the fake belly makes you a jerk, but if you have a legit reason for needing to sit then it'd be a lot quicker and easier than asking for a seat and trying to explain "I know I look completely capable of standing for the next 20 minutes, however..." Meh, pass the belly!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 11:53:23 AM »
I don't agree with it but at the same time I'm frustrated by the trend that premium spots should be reserved for those who are visibly pregnant or have young children with them. A lot of people have very valid reasons for wanting to sit down, park closer, get through a line quicker, etc. but you don't see anybody going out of their way to accommodate that (except, of course, for spots legally reserved for those with handicapped placards).

Interesting--I do. I see people who are elderly or using a cane being offered a seat on the subway.

Lots of time, other people don't *know* that someone has a valid reason to sit down, park closer, etc.

(If I ran a parking lot, I'd have a space "reserved for people w/ temporary injuries" or something. But then again, those "reserved for mothers w/ kids" spaces aren't legally enforced--if you've sprained your ankle at tennis and the space is empty, feel free to take it. Might be smart to exaggerate your limp a bit, though.)

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 11:58:35 AM »

(If I ran a parking lot, I'd have a space "reserved for people w/ temporary injuries" or something. But then again, those "reserved for mothers w/ kids" spaces aren't legally enforced--if you've sprained your ankle at tennis and the space is empty, feel free to take it. Might be smart to exaggerate your limp a bit, though.)

I twisted my ankle not too long ago and though it's mainly healed, if I walk too much it can start to bother me again.  I hate that premium spots are reserved for pregnant women.  There are so many reasons why people (men included!) might need a closer spot. 

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 12:05:28 PM »

Interesting--I do. I see people who are elderly or using a cane being offered a seat on the subway.

Lots of time, other people don't *know* that someone has a valid reason to sit down, park closer, etc.

Sorry, I meant spots that were officially designated, not people being generous. I've never seen a premium parking spot reserved for an elderly, injured, ill, etc. person, just pregnant and/or toting small children. Most of us have had a good reason for wanting a closer spot, seat, shorter line, etc. at some point or another. I certainly don't begrudge anyone, I just don't think it should be a given that X condition = you get the best spot. Except, like I said, for legally valid placards and such, I absolutely understand the necessity there.

DH will use the "for pregnant ladies" spots if the lot is crowded or it's pouring but I don't. I know I can, but it makes me feel like I'm being rude, which is why I resent them.

I've never ridden any kind of public transportation so I can't speak to that one way or the other.  :)

I twisted my ankle not too long ago and though it's mainly healed, if I walk too much it can start to bother me again.  I hate that premium spots are reserved for pregnant women.  There are so many reasons why people (men included!) might need a closer spot. 

Yes, that's what I was trying to say.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:07:48 PM by JenJay »

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 12:21:57 PM »
I've heard stories about people who legitimately needed a seat and couldn't get one on the DC metro, but honestly, for that week that I had the big black boot on my right foot and a cane, I never even had to ask.  Guys just jumped out of their seats to let me have it! 
And I'm old, and fat, and not conventionally pretty in the least.    What did I do right? 
(But I'd never fake a pregnancy or injury to get a seat just because I was lazy, either)

Betelnut

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 12:25:49 PM »
The hospital has a premier parking spot marked, "For Clergy Only."  I would think a patient would take precedence over someone visiting, even if the person visiting is "clergy."  Why would that matter?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 12:27:43 PM »
The hospital has a premier parking spot marked, "For Clergy Only."  I would think a patient would take precedence over someone visiting, even if the person visiting is "clergy."  Why would that matter?
I would assume that that is intended for clergy that is coming to give someone their last rites. You wouldn't want the priest to arrive after the patient died because they couldn't get a parking spot.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »

Probably because they need to get there in a hurry if somebody has called for them, and the hospital would rather they not waste their time circling the lot looking for a space when a dying person has asked for a final blessing.  That's my guess, at least.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 01:04:42 PM »
In New York getting a seat on the subway is not easy either.  Unless you're either seriously decrepit or obscenely pretty.

I don't think I'm seriously decrepit; white hair that comes below my shoulders seems to be enough to get me offered seats fairly often (and I sometimes have to argue with people when I'd rather stand).
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.