Author Topic: This is just low.  (Read 9673 times)

Tabby Uprising

Re: This is just low.
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2013, 04:16:49 PM »
The hospital has a premier parking spot marked, "For Clergy Only."  I would think a patient would take precedence over someone visiting, even if the person visiting is "clergy."  Why would that matter?

Probably because they need to get there in a hurry if somebody has called for them, and the hospital would rather they not waste their time circling the lot looking for a space when a dying person has asked for a final blessing.  That's my guess, at least.

This.
My dad was a minister and he parked in those spots (he had an official placard). He went to the hospital to visit church members several times a week.

Yes, but was he disabled in any way?  That is, he could walk from any spot in the parking lot?  So why get a special spot?  Lots of people visit people in the hospital.

I think the bolded is the answer to your questions.  It's not about how able bodied the minister is, it's about expediting their access to the dying patient.

Eh--I think the family and patient are more important but I guess I'm in the minority here.

Oh, I don't think anyone has stated the patients and family are less important than clergy.

In most cases, I'd say it is the express wishes of the dying patient and their family for clergy to be present.  Those smattering of reserved clergy parking spots help ensure the clergy member can be present in an instance where time is of the essence.  Those reserved spots are meeting an important need to certain patients and family members.

I don't think every reserved parking or seating issue needs to be a hardline ranking system of importance. Whether we're talking handicapped spots, new parent spots, pregnancy spots, clergy spots or cat-lover spots, there is a different motivation or need the entity is trying to meet by isolating that demographic. 

strawbabies

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2013, 04:32:09 PM »
I've never seen the ones for parents...that seems very odd.
The only place I know I've seen them for sure is in the parking lot for Babies 'R' Us.  I think maybe they also have them at the regional wholesale club where I shop, but they're not all that common in a general shopping situation.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2013, 05:17:04 PM »
I've never seen the ones for parents...that seems very odd.
The only place I know I've seen them for sure is in the parking lot for Babies 'R' Us.  I think maybe they also have them at the regional wholesale club where I shop, but they're not all that common in a general shopping situation.

I see them at 2 of the 3 grocery stores where I shop. I've lived here almost 2 years and I didn't see the signs (except at babies r us) back in Oregon. I thought it was becoming more prevalent but maybe it's regional?

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2013, 06:44:37 PM »
The hospital has a premier parking spot marked, "For Clergy Only."  I would think a patient would take precedence over someone visiting, even if the person visiting is "clergy."  Why would that matter?

Probably because they need to get there in a hurry if somebody has called for them, and the hospital would rather they not waste their time circling the lot looking for a space when a dying person has asked for a final blessing.  That's my guess, at least.

This.
My dad was a minister and he parked in those spots (he had an official placard). He went to the hospital to visit church members several times a week.

Yes, but was he disabled in any way?  That is, he could walk from any spot in the parking lot?  So why get a special spot?  Lots of people visit people in the hospital.

I don't make the rules, and there's a reason hospitals have those reserved spots, just as the shopping centers have the expectant mom spaces. Trust me, I've been frustrated when I'm circling the hospital parking lot and think I see an open spot only to find that it's handicapped or a Spot reserved for a doctor.

SiotehCat

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2013, 06:50:11 PM »
On of the grocery stores nearby has a spot reserved for police vehicles and I can't figure out why.

Its not even that close to the store. There are plenty of regular spots closer to the store. At least 5 in that aisle. Also, every time that I have seen the police at that store(it hasn't been many), they are parked right by the store in the "no parking" section. I always just assumed it was no parking so that it was available in the case of an emergency. Like in cases when you would need a police.

Iris

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2013, 07:51:35 PM »
I've never seen a spot for pregnant people. I don't mind the 'parents with prams' spots at all, and they came in too late for me to benefit from them. If all the mothers and fathers with toddlers parked in those I'd be thrilled - less chance of my door being dinged by someone having to have the door open wide while they strap in a wriggling child, and significantly fewer hazards that are too low for me to see when reversing out of a spot. Also on a selfish note I've noticed that families with small children, groceries and prams take *forever* when they are loading up at the end. In a crowded lot I'd rather have them waiting for each other while the rest of us move along a bit more efficiently.

Then again, my local shops has disabled parking, parents with prams AND seniors parking. If I had a temporary injury that made it painful for me to walk any distance I *know* that I'd have to get a permit because all the primo parks are taken up by someone or another.

I've never noticed a clergy parking area, but I don't think it would bother me either. Given the hundreds of parks at my local hospital the difference that one or two clergy parks would make to my parking experience would be vanishingly small.

"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2013, 04:25:23 PM »
I live in San Francisco, and I have never seen a parking spot reserved for the pregnant or for parents. 

I really don't like the lack of consideration a lot of people have for pregnant women, a simmering rage that how dare a pregnant woman take a seat or a parking spot.  Being pregnant is for many of us very difficult, and although not all of us are going to be pregnant women, we were all of us at one point fetuses/part of a pregnancy.  A little empathy could go a long way, and it's not as though women are normally going to be taking advantage of pregnancy for long, as it's a passing state with very, very few perks and lots and lots of discomforts.  Also, not everyone in that state intended to be there (let's not forget that rapes can result in pregnancies; I never assume that a woman intended to get pregnant -- and indeed someone else's family planning is never my business unless it's my husband or someone expecting something from me).  I suspect that often the disapproval is sexual in origin -- obviously the woman had sex to become pregnant (I got a lot of teasing when I got pregnant the first time, and I kept thinking, "I'm over 30 and married; this is really silly.  It would be shocking and abnormal if I were virginal as a married, middle-aged person!"). 
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2013, 04:27:53 PM »
I'm not going to ask that anyone give up a parking spot or a seat for a pregnant woman, but I will ask, as gently as possible, that if you are ever in a waiting line for a public bathroom and there is a pregnant woman in that line, please, please, please for the love of humanity offer to her that she go ahead of you.  You are obviously not obligated to do so, but it would be a huge kindness or a mitzvah to do so.  (Pregnant women's bladders are hugely compressed by the baby, and they need to go to the bathroom often and with great urgency; they simply do not have the bladder capacity of a normal adult).

SiotehCat

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2013, 04:34:10 PM »
I'm not going to ask that anyone give up a parking spot or a seat for a pregnant woman, but I will ask, as gently as possible, that if you are ever in a waiting line for a public bathroom and there is a pregnant woman in that line, please, please, please for the love of humanity offer to her that she go ahead of you.  You are obviously not obligated to do so, but it would be a huge kindness or a mitzvah to do so.  (Pregnant women's bladders are hugely compressed by the baby, and they need to go to the bathroom often and with great urgency; they simply do not have the bladder capacity of a normal adult).

Wouldn't that be a kindness to anybody waiting in line for the restroom?

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »
Another note:  I think that the anger over spots for parents/pregnant ladies should be directed at the businesses, not the parents & the pregnant.  In those instances, the businesses made the decision that they wish to actively court parents and pregnant women, and they are offering the spots to attract the business of those customers.  If it really burns you up that they do so, send them an email or a letter and shop elsewhere.  They will make their economic decision as they like.  But there's no reason to be angry at pregnant women or parents.  If it will make you feel better, think about the fact that these people are unwelcome in many places. 

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2013, 04:38:26 PM »
If I'm waiting for the bathroom and someone comes along who is clearly in more discomfort than me, I will let them go ahead of me (e.g., a pregnant woman, a small child, someone who looks ill).  But people who have never been pregnant may not understand that a pregnant woman does not have the bladder capacity of a regular woman and that she simply, as a matter of anatomy and biology, cannot hold it in for as long as a regular woman.  Hence it is appropriate in my opinion to let her go ahead. 

(I actually was in the position of not being able to hold it in at a point in a pregnancy where i had a wait for a bathroom which I could NOT make, and I am going to spare all of you the details).

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2013, 05:12:37 PM »
I don't know anybody's bathroom related issues. There are tons of issues that might give various people claims that they need to go quickly for various reasons. If I were the only one in line and somebody seemed to be in distress while I could wait of cpurse I'd let them go ahead I do not think that pregnancy trumps whatever issues people in a random line might have. I don't know that there is ignorance about the impact of pregnancy on the bladder nearly as much as there is a lack of awareness how many other people really do have issues too.

Rohanna

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2013, 05:22:50 PM »
Sometimes I get very tired of the word "trump" around here- no says it needs to be one upmanship or some kind of competition over who's worse off... They were just pointing out how if you spot the need, and it's not a hardship for you at that particular time- it's a kindness to offer. Nothing more, no big agenda, conspiracy or moral judgement or statement of varying personal worth- just a simple act of optional kindness.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2013, 05:32:40 PM »
I guess I would disagree with ypu. There seems to br speculatiom about what people who haven't been pregnant understand. There also seems to be a real oversimplification of "regular" and their needs. I definitely think that letting somebody pregnant cut an actual line could put some other woman who looks "regular" at a real disavantage. If it is just you and the other woman then go for it if you are OK. To assume other women don't have their own issues, long or short term, seems unwise.

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2013, 05:34:07 PM »
Sometimes I get very tired of the word "trump" around here- no says it needs to be one upmanship or some kind of competition over who's worse off... They were just pointing out how if you spot the need, and it's not a hardship for you at that particular time- it's a kindness to offer. Nothing more, no big agenda, conspiracy or moral judgement or statement of varying personal worth- just a simple act of optional kindness.

I couldn't agree more!