Author Topic: S/O of Dog park: Toddlers and active construction site  (Read 5611 times)

MrTango

Re: S/O of Dog park: Toddlers and active construction site
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 08:31:50 AM »
They must be the same family (or cousins, at least) that stopped outside my friend's horse pasture, climbed through the fence (with electric wire and warning signs), and were trying to lift their toddler onto the back of an untrained weanling colt! When she chased them off the property in blazing non-ehell-approved terms, the father protested, "but that little horse is just a baby, he wouldn't hurt little Diddums!" Maybe he would and maybe he wouldn't, she said, but I may be forced to hurt YOU!

That pasture is now occupied by big beef steers, who are neither friendly to strangers nor likely to allow idiots to get close enough to try to ride them.

Yikes.  The horse owners I know would have been more likely than not to bring out a shotgun if they saw someone trespassing in their pasture.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 12:50:30 PM »
Lots of toddlers, especially boys, love big construction vehicles.  However, most parents are bright enough to know that you don't equate an active construction zone with a playground.  Doesn't "Bob the Builder" talk about safety all the time?  OP, I think you were fine, although I would report this to the site manager.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 12:55:40 PM »
Another zoo story (although not really life-threatening).

I noticed two men with a few small children (obviously, Dads out for the day). The kids saw some Canada Geese up ahead, and ran towards them, arms outstretched, clearly thinking these were for petting. The dads watched calmly, with a beatific smile.

Yeah, Canada Geese are not cuddly. Suddenly, screams and toddlers returning in great haste, with dads having to suddenly switch from "Ah, adorable!" to "rescue the offspring!" mode.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Minmom3

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 03:09:01 PM »
All geese bite.  Hard.  Wings hurt even more, especially when they hit you in the throat....  I got bitten on the breast by a goose, and I had a dark red mark for a few weeks that hurt like hell....  Those dads best hope their Ickle Babies never get near a swan.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

snowfire

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 04:02:56 PM »
Oooooh!  Swans may look pretty but they are EVIL!!!  DH & I were walking by the lake at a local park on our way to the pedal boat rental office and we were chased by a rather militant swan.  Yeah, six foot wingspan, hard beak on very long mobile neck and total hatred of any other living being.  It is amazing how fast those suckers can run.  :o

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 05:56:15 PM »
Safety trumps etiquette, OP.  You weren't rude at all.

What were those parents thinking?  First to park in a handicapped spot - next to let a toddler just run around a construction site - next to let a toddler run around a construction site where people are working.  It hurts my head to think of all the ways that little jaunt could have ended tragically. 

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 06:05:18 PM »
Swans can be vicious, especially when they have cygnets. They can break your arm with their wings and chase you something fierce. It is funny to see their neck feather swell up and hiss like vacuum cleaners.

Spreading your arms wide and waving them will get them to back off, but you look like a loon doing it.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 08:12:49 AM »
All geese bite.  Hard.  Wings hurt even more, especially when they hit you in the throat....  I got bitten on the breast by a goose, and I had a dark red mark for a few weeks that hurt like hell....  Those dads best hope their Ickle Babies never get near a swan.

I'm terrified of swans.

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 10:51:24 AM »

I noticed two men with a few small children (obviously, Dads out for the day). The kids saw some Canada Geese up ahead, and ran towards them, arms outstretched, clearly thinking these were for petting. The dads watched calmly, with a beatific smile.

Yeah, Canada Geese are not cuddly. Suddenly, screams and toddlers returning in great haste, with dads having to suddenly switch from "Ah, adorable!" to "rescue the offspring!" mode.

A zoo story with a tragic ending (for the animals)-- several years ago, a child climbed up and reached into the meerkat enclosure.  She was bitten.  The child's parents didn't want her to have to "suffer" a series of rabies shots, so the entire family of meerkats was put down to test for rabies.  They were negative.  I am still livid that anybody would 1) allow their child to climb up and stick their hands out to wild animals and 2) kill innocent animals to avoid a small amount of pain to their child (rabies shots are much less invasive/painful than they used to be, but in any case, I think the shot should be preferred over killing animals that show no outward signs of being ill).

And this was no toddler.  The child was NINE.  Old enough to know better.  Old enough to understand rabies shots as a consequence for her behavior.

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=131535
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:57:36 AM by Cz. Burrito »

MrTango

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 10:57:20 AM »

A zoo story with a tragic ending (for the animals)-- several years ago, a child climbed up and reached into the meerkat enclosure.  She was bitten.  The child's parents didn't want her to have to "suffer" a series of rabies shots, so the entire family of meerkats was put down to test for rabies.  They were negative.  I am still livid that anybody would 1) allow their child to climb up and stick their hands out to wild animals and 2) kill innocent animals to avoid a small amount of pain to their child (rabies shots are much less invasive/painful than they used to be, but in any case, I think the shot should be preferred over killing animals that show no outward signs of being ill).

And this was no toddler.  The child was NINE.  Old enough to know better. 

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=131535

If I were running the zoo, I would have said "you can choose to get her tested or choose not to get her tested.  We will not be putting down a single animal on account of your failure to parent your child."

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 10:59:32 AM »
Maybe the indurance company or pre-existing policies didn't give the zoo an option to refuse.

MrTango

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 11:01:49 AM »
Maybe the indurance company or pre-existing policies didn't give the zoo an option to refuse.

That's possible, I suppose.

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 11:02:51 AM »

The law didn't give the zoo an opportunity to refuse; I believe they were legally required to kill the animals if the parents wouldn't take the girl in for rabies shots.   

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 11:22:49 AM »
"I'm wondering how many of those people (the toddler-in-the-dog-park people), when asked why they brought pwecious to the dog park, would reply 'because pwecious loves doggies!' "

I debated on posting what happened yesterday, but reading this in the other thread made me decide to.

The company that I work for is in full swing of building houses on some property smack dab in the middle of our complex of office buildings. It's messy, it's noisy, and very, very dangerous with unseen holes in the ground, and equipment everywhere (I tripped in a hole yesterday when I was walking well away from the sites; just didn't see it), and bulldozers, earthmovers, and assorted really cool machinery moving around-

Anyhow, I was teaching yesterday afternoon, and a couple nonchalantly pulls in our parking space reserved for our disabled assessable bus, and proceeds to takes a 2-ish yo boy over to the site, and they just stand there. while the kid runs around.  I thought that they were looking for someone, so I just kept and eye out, and then they walked over to the other side of the main site area, and let the kid run around again. I called up to the main office to see who these people were, and no one knew, so I left my class, and went out to them, and asked if they needed help, and the mom said, "Oh no, my son just looooooves this equipment, and we thought we would show him this."  In the meantime, one of the big machines (don't know what it is) swung around with a huge section of sewer pipe and got way to close to the dad and boy (I think the operator just didn't see them).  And dad thought it was funny--"wheee, little boy's name! Look at that! Maybe he'll do it again for you!!"  About this time, a construction guy came up and told them to leave, and they did---after 10 more minutes of the kid playing on a parked bulldozer--

My question: did I behave appropriately? Should i have waited for a construction person to say something? (I didn't know if they saw them, and I didn't want anyone to get hurt.) What would you have done?

This isn't even an etiquette issue but one of safety.  I do not even know of a construction site that would tolerate visitors, of any age, who were not there on official business.

Minmom3

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 12:04:42 PM »
Swans can be vicious, especially when they have cygnets. They can break your arm with their wings and chase you something fierce. It is funny to see their neck feather swell up and hiss like vacuum cleaners.

Spreading your arms wide and waving them will get them to back off, but you look like a loon doing it.

Snerk...  Looking like a loon isn't likely to frighten a swan!  I'm not sure WHAT would really frighten a swan.  They're big birds.  The only thing that made my gander back off was a foot to his chest.  I was bending down to pick up and refill their water bucket, and he attacked me, and would NOT back off.  I stuck a foot out to stop him, which ended up being flat on his chest while he tried to overpower my leg, and I balanced on the other leg while picking up the bucket, and shuffling backwards as fast as I could.  Must have been pretty silly to see, but I did NOT want to fall down and have his irate self land on top of me.  He was defending his mate and the eggs, so I understood, but that didn't make it any more pleasant to have happen.  I ended up giving them away because they would even attack me as I filled up their feeder.  I decided I wasn't paying out $10 a week for something that disliked me that badly, no matter how much I loved the eggs.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....