Author Topic: Reusable grocery bag help!  (Read 2388 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Reusable grocery bag help!
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 09:09:05 PM »
Rip stop nylon is strong and packs really, really small.  I have two large bags (same size as brown paper grocery bags) and one small bag (same size as the plastic ones) that I made twenty odd years ago that smash down to fit in a case about the size of a glasses case.

Sadly, every time we'd move (military), I'd mislay it for months....might be why they are still in good shape.  They and a net bag (not quite as easily smushed) fit in a tote bag with my coupon holder (and a couple of library books, if I'm around a library to turn them in or pick them up) with space to spare.

All I have to do is remember to carry the yellow tote bag with the purple flowers on it in with me.....which I don't always do if I'm only going to pick up "a couple of things".

I've started carrying a smaller purse since the 1990s, so I don't always have space in the purse for the "eyeglass case".  Just got a "new" tote bag/purse for a trip - when I get back, I'll have to see how the nylon bags fit......

It might be possible to take the lining apart and add a couple more pockets to the inside.......I'll have to think about it.  Because it might be a little hard to sew it with as many holes as there are in it already (long story involving Salvation Army shopping trip and a decision to replace the lining - but not thinking about adapting it FIRST).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

JoW

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 09:21:51 PM »
I keep my reusable bags in the trunk of my car, all stuffed in the largest one.  I always take in too many bags.  I impulse buy for charity - anything useful and at least 75% off, so I often buy more than I planned purchases. 

Disposable bags are still available here.  I have lots of them.  But I usually put my trash in pet food bags or potato chip bags or the bag that lines a cereal box.  I have also used cereal boxes and the cardboard box that originally held 12 cans of Coke.  You get the idea - what ever I have kicking around.  For light weight trash you can use dry cleaning bags, just tie a knot where the hanger went through the bag. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 10:20:23 PM »
I line the bags on the checkout counter in front of what I want to go in that bag. Fresh produce go in washable bags, and fresh and processed meat go in washable, and the bags get washed when they look dirty or are smelly. I wipe out the other bags with a Clorox wipe every few weeks just because. I always wipe the cooler bag down because it gets smelly right away for some reason.

It doesn't take more than maybe 10 extra minutes a week to do all this, and unpacking the already sorted groceries is very easy and faster, and because I pack my cart in sections, it is easy to line up the checkout counter.

I timed myself today at the store. I bought $216 worth of groceries, no meat.

With my organizing my purchases into the cart as I went along, putting the bags on the counter for the following items, the cashier was beeping as fast as she could and I kept up - no loss there.

Once I got my bags into the house and Lucas taking care of the beer and a couple of housecleaning items that he requested, I got everything stashed away, including the yogurt and puddings out of their cardboards and on the fridge shelves and the bags folded wiped as needed and in the big bag, in 20 minutes. I didn't have fruit to wash or meat to repackage for the freezer this time.

I'm just saying my method works for me with no time lost for the reusable bags. Remember, it takes time to roll and stash the plastic bags for reuse, too.

Rohanna

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 10:33:53 PM »
The thing with reusable grocery bags is that you need to wash them, and you need to use them often:

http://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/2013/02/reusable-grocery-bags-can-kill-unless-washed.html

If you don't, then they can be dangerous and leave a bigger "footprint" than the disposable kind (particularly if you re-use the disposable ones for garbage). Be mindful of how you wash them, because some washing methods, again, will leave a bigger "footprint" in terms of energy and detergent disposal than the disposables- same thing with drying. Some bags are poorly designed to be washed- so make sure to select ones that will stand up to multiple washing cycles- ones that have the kinds of plastic coatings that go brittle and crack will wash badly, wear poorly and harbor bacteria better.

I read somewhere that the average reusable bag needs to be used 30 times before it "evens out" with a plastic disposable- so make sure you use 'em to make them worth it :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reusable_shopping_bag
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 11:19:58 PM »
The thing with reusable grocery bags is that you need to wash them, and you need to use them often:

http://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/2013/02/reusable-grocery-bags-can-kill-unless-washed.html

If you don't, then they can be dangerous and leave a bigger "footprint" than the disposable kind (particularly if you re-use the disposable ones for garbage). Be mindful of how you wash them, because some washing methods, again, will leave a bigger "footprint" in terms of energy and detergent disposal than the disposables- same thing with drying. Some bags are poorly designed to be washed- so make sure to select ones that will stand up to multiple washing cycles- ones that have the kinds of plastic coatings that go brittle and crack will wash badly, wear poorly and harbor bacteria better.

I read somewhere that the average reusable bag needs to be used 30 times before it "evens out" with a plastic disposable- so make sure you use 'em to make them worth it :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reusable_shopping_bag

Thank you. I kind of knew that instinctively, which I hinted at in my earlier posts with my personal sanitation methods, but I really didn't know it was that bad. I will continue with my habits. And, yes, many of my bags have been used 30 times and the washing with other laundry has has little impact. It's the Clorox wipes I question, but I have trouble with just a tad of bleach or vinegar on a damp rag.

JoW

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 11:31:29 PM »
The thing with reusable grocery bags is that you need to wash them, .........
I half agree with that.  Yes, if you buy raw meat that bag needs to be washed before it gets used again.  And if you buy raw produce you probably should wash the bag.  But the last time I used mine was at WalMart.  They had winter stuff marked down 75%.  I bought 10 hats.  That bag didn't need to be washed.   The bag that held 10 cans of cat food didn't need to be washed, either. 

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 12:00:32 AM »
Got a chiller bag to get prawns, must rem,ebr to wipe it out before using it.

We accumulated a lot of bags (not sure how) and ended up receiving the in the bin outside the supermarket. That was a month ago, but they're building up again.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2013, 07:54:10 PM »
I've been using reuseables for years, so our new ban bag isn't much of a change. I keep a couple of bags in the glovebox and a small one in my purse for everyday stuff.  For the grocery trips, I put my bags in the shabbiest bag and use a carabiner clip to hang them out of the way under the handle of the grocery cart.

Bluenomi

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2013, 08:35:17 PM »
We've had bags banned and it does take a bit of getting used to. You have to train yourself to remember to take them with you when you do the shopping. DH always forgets when he ducks in so ends up having to buy one of their 15cent reusable ones.

I always have a few of the compact ones (I've got some really good ones from Envirosac for the Aussies) in my car and one in my handbag for quick trips.

You can also buy supermarket sized bags by the roll (with all the usual garbage bags) for those things at home you use them for. I have a roll for my bin in the loo which is the right size.