Poll

Does this sound like a good idea for St Patrick's Day?

Sounds great!
3 (7.9%)
Maybe
4 (10.5%)
No
28 (73.7%)
Unknown / Undecided
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Broken Window Glass Cake  (Read 2105 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Broken Window Glass Cake
« on: March 11, 2013, 09:42:46 AM »
I'm going to run this idea past Eunice first, but since looking up the recipe for Jello Shots I have wondered whether adding booze to the cube recipes would be a good idea for St Patrick's Day:

The orange cubes would contain Grand Marnier, cherry ones Cherry Kijafa, lime ones Midori Melon or a green apple liqueur.  Another option would be to do green only with Creme de Menthe.

The party will be on Sunday, starting at 3PM.  Phase 1 of the recipe would be carried out on Friday (making the cubes and the graham cracker crust), phase 2 (the surrounding lemon filling) on Saturday morning.  Don't think I'll add alcohol to that because I don't know if it would work with the Cool Whip.

It's a party of adults only.  I will ask Eunice if there are any teetotalers among the guests.

Kaypeep

Re: Broken Window Glass Cake
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 10:00:49 AM »
This is a know your audience question, I think.  Honestly, I won't eat anything with Cool Whip in it.  I think it's vile and leaves a greasy film in my mouth after eating it.  As for jello, I'll do a jello shot at a party, but I avoid jello desserts.  It looks quite pretty, but I'd never eat it.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 10:01:50 AM »
I would eat it in half a heartbeat!!!  And I'd probably go back for seconds (thirds?).

That looks very delicious!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 10:04:05 AM »
In years past I've made the Grasshopper Pie and the Mandarin Orange one and they disappear.  The cherry version gets made for Christmas.

My only concern about Broken Window Glass Cake is prep time, but since I'm still unemployed I have the time this year.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »
In years past I've made the Grasshopper Pie and the Mandarin Orange one and they disappear.  The cherry version gets made for Christmas.

My only concern about Broken Window Glass Cake is prep time, but since I'm still unemployed I have the time this year.

I think I shall have to request the recipe from you for new years eve.  ;)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 10:32:03 AM »
The recipe is here:

3 cups graham cracker crumbs*
1-2 sticks butter or margarine*

1 package each Jell-O Orange, Cherry, and Lime Gelatins (sugar-free also works)
3 cups boiling water
2 cups cold water

2 packages Jell-O Lemon Gelatin (sugar-free also works)
2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 cups cold water

1 tub Cool Whip (regular or sugar-free only)**

(*) Or use 16 to 18 ladyfingers, split, to line pan instead of crumb-butter mixture.

2nd Day before Serving:

Prepare the three flavors of gelatin separately, using 1 cup boiling water and 1/2 cup cold water for each. Pour each flavor into an 8-inch square pan.  Chill until firm, or overnight.

Prepare crust by grinding graham crackers and mixing with butter using a pastry cutter.  Line bottom of 10" spring form cake pan with wax paper before pressing crumb mixture all over interior of pan.  Place in fridge overnight.

Day before Serving:

Prepare lemon gelatin using the 2 cups boiling water and 1.5 cups cold water (you may want to prepare in two batches to expedite cooling process).  Place in fridge.  When it achieves a syrupy texture (running a spoon through leaves a trail), it is ready to be combined with the Cool Whip.   Blend Cool Whip with lemon gelatin, reserving 2 cups to finish the top.

Cut the firm gelatins into 1/2-inch cubes.  Fold into larger quantity of lemon mixture. Pour into pan and add remaining lemon mixture on top to finish. Chill overnight.

To Unmold:

Untape wax paper on bottom and spread before unmolding.  Run knife or spatula between sides of dessert and pan, remove sides of pan, and slide cake carefully onto serving plate. If desired, spread additional prepared whipped topping or whipped cream on top and sides.  Makes 16 servings.

NOTE: Other Jell-O Gelatin fruit flavors may be used instead of those suggested in recipe, forming any combination of colors desired. For instance, make all the cubes of Jell-O Black Raspberry or Lime Gelatin and substitute Jell-O Strawberry Gelatin for the lemon gelatin.

* Soft ladyfingers can be used instead of a graham cracker crust.  You will need about 2 dozen
** Do not use fat free or reduced fat Cool Whip; it will not set.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:47:20 AM by Venus193 »

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »
Will Jell-o set with alcohol in it?
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
It does or one couldn't make Jello Shots.  However, you don't substitute all of the water with alcohol, only about half.

Kosher gelatin might not work, though.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 10:39:51 AM »
To me it looks very unappetizing.  It might just be the picture, but it looks like it's out of a 1960 or 70's cookbook. 

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 10:42:59 AM »
I love retro food. I say go for it.
Words mean things.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 10:45:35 AM »
I don't know if so many flavors of jello and alcohol would all work together.  Could be great, could be completely nasty.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 10:51:53 AM »
That was my concern, whether those flavors would be compatible.  I've made this cake before without alcohol for different people and it was fine.  If I do this with booze I can't use creme de menthe in the lime or it would clash with the fruit flavors of the other two (or three; raspberry with Chambord is another possibility).

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 10:52:35 AM »
I grew up with food like this, in the 60s. I have to say that I never liked it (no alcohol, though). It's not new at all, just rehashed like a lot of 60s things are. Some people might like it, of course.

And if you're in for some food entertainment, check out:

http://www.amazon.com/Gallery-Regrettable-Food-James-Lileks/dp/0609607820

gorplady

• “Put silk on a goat and it is still a goat”
    • PerfectDuluthDay
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 10:55:57 AM »
I wouldn't do the alcohol. Mixing that many types of alcohol together may cause more inebriation than you intended. I know I don't do well when I mix alcohols.

However, I've had the non-alcoholic version of this dessert before and it's tasty and very retro!

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »
My Mother always used to make the multicolor jello cake for big parties. She never used alcohol in it, althought she did ocaisionally make grasshopper pie with alcohol.

I personally never liked the cake, but I haven't had it since childhood.

I think I would recommend only using one flavor of alcohol, whether or not you used the multicolors of jello. If you did want to, I might recommend making a test cake first well before the party to see how all the flavors mix, as my opinion is that they would not taste good together with all the different alcohols in one cake.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.