Author Topic: Don't smoke in my car...even though you are doing me a favor  (Read 3558 times)

Mammavan3

Re: Don't smoke in my car...even though you are doing me a favor
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 08:43:50 PM »
There's nothing wrong in pointing out that your car is a no-smoking zone, but I would just be aware that your DM may tell you that she cannot guarantee that her DH, who is a chain smoker, would not want to use a vehicle in which he is not allowed to smoke and that you will need to make other arrangements to rent a larger vehicle.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 10:51:54 PM »
Unfortunately renting a car is financially difficult for us at the moment.  It was unexpected that we needed the larger vehicle otherwise I would have planned for it.

My mom is very polite and reasonable and I am sure she would not mind the request.  My SD is another story.  I can see him getting wound up about this so I am trying to tread lightly.

So ask your mom alone, and then ask her if she'd make the request of Stepdad.

Maybe it would go over better if SHE said, with an aura of it being her idea, "let's not smoke in Daughter's car. I know that the lingering smell will really bother her sinuses."

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 01:10:59 AM »
Absolutely, you have every right to forbid smoking in your car. Even though they are doing you a favour. You are the one who would have to live with the lingering smell (and it would stink for a long, long time). And don't let them think that smoking with the windows open is a solution. It's not.

Tell them you appreciate the use of their car and will try to return the favour some time, but, by the way, you hope they'll understand that you cannot allow smoking in your car. You can say something along the lines of being "hypersensitive" to it since quitting. (Although I don't actually believe you're hypersensitive; you experience normal sensitivity, just that your senses were dulled to it while you were a smoker yourself). You're not telling them not to smoke; they can smoke before they leave, and when they get to their destination. How much of a hardship is it to hold off during a short car ride?

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 10:46:08 AM »
Be prepared for them to say, "If it bothers you that much, how in the world will you be in my car when you are in it?"  Oh and based on experience, some smokers thinks it's following the rule by smoking with the windows open and having the cigarette outside the window.  ::)  (my mom)

I would simply ask her not to smoke and hope for the best.

kajunchick

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 03:13:30 PM »
I agree with those who say it's not rude to tell them "No smoking!" My brother and I both smoke, and it's well understood in our family that Mom doesn't mind smoking in her truck, but lighting up in Dad's is a BIG no-no. If I'm borrowing my dad's truck for whatever reason, it's not a big deal to wait until I get wherever I'm going for my nicotine fix.
Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »
I'd say it's perfectly fine to tell them "No smoking in the car, please".

My husband has allergies and asthma, and his sister, who is a heavy smoker, will sometimes borrow his truck. She understands no smoking in the truck and no smoking and then getting into the truck. That lingering smoke smell can really bother him, so he made it a rule and it has never been questioned.

twilight

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 07:03:35 PM »
So the smoking turned out to be a non-issue.  When SD went out today he just used his giant dump truck which must have cost a fortune in gas.  I have a feeling he is embarrassed to drive around in a smaller (read: un-manly) vehicle.