Author Topic: Scarves on head - non-religious  (Read 6463 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Re: Scarves on head - non-religious
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 03:30:26 PM »
I just googled images for "scarf on head fashion" and really, none of the pictures look like the wearer is doing it for religious reasons. Some of the scarves are so beautiful and there are so many ways to wear them.
Good heavens - according to some of these articles, the way I used to wear my scarves is not only OK, but the new hot trend. I don't know what I'll do with myself, being fashionable!

Post a picture here! We want to see!  :)
Oh, drat - it was LAST YEAR. Oh well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/29/fashion/29iht-fprint29.html?_r=0

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 03:34:35 PM »
If you are one of the few women who can wear a scarf well, go for it!   Rhoda could, and may have spawned an earlier trend.

amylouky

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 03:44:44 PM »
I see no problem with it. Scarves aren't strictly a religious item, even if they are used for religious purposes by some groups.
I will admit, I do get annoyed when things that ARE religious items (crosses, etc) are used as just a fashion accessory, but I don't see this as that situation at all.

kglory

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 03:50:41 PM »
I'm not religious, but I love wearing a scarf in the summer like this:  http://www.zigoti.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/how-to-wear-a-bandana.jpg  Although I favor more tie-dye/floral/patterned prints, not actual bandanas.

So I say go for it!  If you are wearing a scarf with a t-shirt and shorts, people would probably not assume you are wearing it for religious reasons.  In other words, I would only think it was religious based on the whole outfit (long sleeves, long pants or skirt, etc.)  But even if you did want to wear it with a long shirt and long pants for fashion reasons, that is your right too.

If I saw a woman with a scarf over here hair, if it looked nice probably all I'd think was "oh, isn't that pretty!"If it looked a bit odd (didn't match, or something) I might think "oh its probably religious" 

Maybe this came across wrong, but I actually would think the opposite.  Women who wear scarves for religious reasons tend to have pretty scarves that are perfectly coordinated to their outfits, because they wear them every day and are in the habit of choosing a scarf that goes with the rest of the clothes.    If I saw a woman in a scarf that was odd or didn't match, I'd probably assume the person was new to wearing them or didn't habitually wear them.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 03:55:47 PM »
I love scarves to be worn on the head, usually as headbands but alas, they like to try to slide out of my hair. :P So if it works for your hair, go for it! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MyFamily

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 04:10:40 PM »
I do cover my hair for religious reasons (Orthodox Jew).  Wear a scarf - seriously, we don't own the copy right to covering your hair, and if you enjoy doing it, then go for it!  I can tell you that to the best of my knowledge, in the 10 years I've been married and covering my hair, I've never been mistaken for a Muslim woman because of my hair covering (if that is your mom's concern).  I have been mistaken for a cancer patient more than once and those times were very uncomfortable for me and the person who made the mistake, even though I tried to make it as uncomfortable as possible. 

If someone objects to your choice of hair accessories, that is really their problem.  I'd tag it the same as someone who objects to body art - you don't have to like their choice, but unless they ask your opinion, you don't have the right to say anything.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

nuit93

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 04:21:11 PM »
I love scarves to be worn on the head, usually as headbands but alas, they like to try to slide out of my hair. :P So if it works for your hair, go for it! :)

I usually use a bobby pin or metal hairclip to hold mine in place--I have slippery hair too!

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 04:49:24 PM »
Long scarves also look awesome as a belt!

Formerly Mrs.Bart

sweetonsno

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 05:19:07 PM »
I vote for moseying on over to Pinterest. There are tons (TONS!!!) of awesome pins about the different ways you can wear scarves. In my experience, it's unlikely that a scarf worn for fashion would be mistaken for one worn for religious purposes. If you're sporting a scarf as a headband, weaving it into your braid, using it as a bow, etc, it should be clear to most people that it's just a fabulous fashion accessory.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 06:12:30 PM »
I currently have three scarves tied to my purse strap, and I'm wearing a lovely purple paisley "do-rag" style.  Folded into a triangle, center on my forehead, ends tied at the back of my head. 

I change out the ones on my purse to match my clothing.

Scarves are pretty.  Wear them whenever you want.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

demarco

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 06:31:22 PM »
I have decided that no one can leave the house and go anywhere without offending someone for some reason.  If people get offended by a scarf, it's their problem, not yours.  Wear those scarves!

I am one of those women who cannot wear a scarf  on my head, around my neck, around my waist, anywhere.  They always end up looking sloppy or falling off.   I have a lot of pretty scarves that people have given me.  What I do is tie them on my handbag strap or handle.  They stay put that way and I think it's a nice look.   

Promise

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 06:39:36 PM »
Having lived in a strong Muslim area, head scarves that denote religion are obvious. They aren't worn as a fashion statement. Sure, some look nice and have fashionable patterns, but again there are specific ways they are to be worn depending on which form of Islam one follows as well as family/clan/sect/tribal connections. I think of some of my black friends who where scarves wrapped and tied on their heads. It's again obvious that it's cultural, not religious. I also know many college students (I work in a University setting) who wear scarves as a form of a statement rather than fashion. Again, it's obvious. Wear it however you like - whether religious, cultural, a statement, or because it pleases you. What others think doesn't matter unless it specifically goes against your work dress code.

problemattic

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 09:12:47 PM »
I think scarves worn over the hair can look gorgeous, and if you've been doing it for a while, you're probably a pro!  When I went back to school, one of our class assignments was a demonstrative speech.  A lovely girl in my class demonstrated different ways to wear/tie/fashion scarves using a hairdresser's dummy.  All of the women in the class, ranging in age from 20-something to 50-something, were clustered so closely around the speaker she could barely move!  It was a huge hit.  Our speaker wore scarves daily, but it was not until that day that I learned that she had lost her hair due to agressive chemo.  She always looked so pretty, I just thought she was making a fashion statement.  Her health has returned now, as has her hair, but I know from her facebook photos that she's still sporting the scarves from time to time.  I say if it works for you, do it!   :D

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 11:32:26 PM »
I've never been into scarves but I did get some funny looks once.  I was in a regional poker tournament (You had to win your way in so you had to be fairly decent)  It was in a really old cavernous building built pre-A/C's in a hot area .  Overnight the temperature had plummeted to near freezing.  So, this building was cold.  I wore my pashima scarf wrapped around my head and my ears, and huddled a bit.  I noticed people looking at me funny, and wanting to ask if the scarf was religious or for warmth.  But they never could figure out how to do it. Plus, confusing people in poker is a good thing.

scotcat60

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 08:29:02 AM »
If it were not for the scarves I've worn over the years, my ears would have been frozen and dropped off. Winter can be cold here in the UK. I have not yet been taken for a grandma, a Muslim, or a cancer patient, even when I was a cancer patient. Perhaps the Englsih are more reticent about commenting on other peoples appearence, although i did have a straw hat trimmed with a yellow rose which I wore when I lost my hair admired by a passing gent.  I wear my scarves  knotted under the chin, any other way, and they fall off.

Do your thing OP, and stop worrying about other people. As demarco said, wear those scarves!