Author Topic: Need some appetizer ideas for Easter  (Read 3192 times)

POF

Need some appetizer ideas for Easter
« on: March 11, 2013, 07:41:08 PM »
Lakehouse Sally is hosting Easter.  DH has challenged me to stop whining about it and to be proactive.... and he's right.

its going to be a big group, Sally will be overwhelmed and the meal will be at an odd time.  While not a potluck - we all bring things, I am going to be proactive and offer to bring things before she asks ( usually it is at last minute ).

We always enjoy appetizers and I like making them ...

She has told us 2:30 - but I am not sure if it was eating time or arrival time - I think we will probably eat around 4:30.

I usually bring the same old same old appetizers: Cheeseball, Shrimp cocktail, veggie dip.

No allergies - we are a pretty diverse group - what would you suggest ? Nothing too fiddly - I have a 45 minute drive.  I can handle a hot dip with my crockpot and an insulated box.

I would love to hear what you suggest ! Thanks

Katana_Geldar

Re: Need some appetizer ideas for Easter
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 07:56:03 PM »
Crostini is easy. Get a French stick or baguette sliced in the slicer from a bakery. Spraw them down with olive oil both sides and add salt and pepper. Put the, in the oven on medium until they're nice and crispy!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:16:57 PM »
Best dip ever (recipe is on the bottle of Frank's Red Hot)

2 cups cooked chicken (I liked canned for this, otherwise use shredded or cubed)
8oz cream cheese (low fat ok)
1/2 cup crumbed blue cheese
1/2 cup blue cheese dressing
1/2 cup hot sauce

Put the cream cheese in an oven safe dish. Mix in the rest of the ingredients. Bake for 20 minutes at 350.

I'm sure this could be amended to be cooked in the crock pot, otherwise just transfer it to the crock pot and then serve warm.

Good with tortilla chips, crackers or toasted baguette slices, or carrot and celery sticks. Seriously this is good with just a spoon!

Rohanna

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:20:43 PM »
Deviled eggs to match the Easter theme? You could colour the fillings with different things (paprika? Wasabi? Tumeric?) to add the the theme :P
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Library Dragon

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 09:39:47 PM »
1.  The Word's Easiest Shrimp Salad

1 pound cooked, peeled, medium shrimp
1 jar marinated artichoke hearts, guartered
1 jar marinated mushrooms

Drain the artichoke hearts and mushrooms.  Mix the artichoke hearts, mushrooms, and shrimp in a bowl. Cover and chill for at least an hour.  The seasonings from the the artichokes and mushrooms will flavor the shrimp.

I make this for parties and have people ask for the recipe.

2.  Baked Cheese Bread

Make bread dough or buy pizza dough.
1 pound havarti cheese, shredded
1 pound Swiss cheese, shredded
1 Tbs fresh chives, finely chopped
2 eggs
2 Tbs butter, cut into small pieces
Butter and flour for pan
Cake pan

While your dough is in the first rise mix prepare the rest of the ingredients and mix together.
Rub your cake pan with butter and dust with flour.
Roll out your dough into a large circle. 
Place dough in cake pan, as you would a pie crust, but don't trim. 
Fill with the cheese mixture.  Fold bread dough over cheese, completely enclosing.

Bake for 30 min at 350F.  Let cool before cutting wedged slices.

I like this better than baked Brie.  It's not as runny.  It's filling, so don't eat too much before supper.
Play with cheeses you like.  Munster is good.  I've made it with cheddar and put a Lille chili powder in the dough.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 11:09:24 PM »
Best dip ever (recipe is on the bottle of Frank's Red Hot)

2 cups cooked chicken (I liked canned for this, otherwise use shredded or cubed)
8oz cream cheese (low fat ok)
1/2 cup crumbed blue cheese
1/2 cup blue cheese dressing
1/2 cup hot sauce

Put the cream cheese in an oven safe dish. Mix in the rest of the ingredients. Bake for 20 minutes at 350.

I'm sure this could be amended to be cooked in the crock pot, otherwise just transfer it to the crock pot and then serve warm.

Good with tortilla chips, crackers or toasted baguette slices, or carrot and celery sticks. Seriously this is good with just a spoon!

POD.  My boys beg me to make this every Sunday during football season.  It's really good and I agree, it does go with everything. 

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 05:52:33 AM »
Easy Onion Tart. Travels well and can be eaten at any temperature.

Dice and carmelize two large onions. While they're cooking, unroll a sheet of crescent roll dough into a 13x9 dish, creating a small crust up the sides slightly. Bake about 10 minutes at 350*. To the onions add two beaten eggs, bacon crumbles (I like the Oscar Meyer Recipe Pieces) and a 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Mix well. Spread into the crescent dough and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until eggs are cooked through. Super easy and lots of people like it.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Oh Joy

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 08:22:10 AM »
I know it's boring, but (through my habit) my job is to bring a huge pile of fresh cut veggies to every family holiday feast.  They're good for nibbling without filling up, and double as a side dish for anyone on restrictions or looking for something lighter so they can have enough calories/carbs left for the dessert spread. 

Redwing

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 09:01:22 AM »
I make this http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vegetable-pizza-i/ a lot for potluck type things.  Everyone loves it!  It's a lot quicker to make than it may appear. 

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 09:47:25 AM »
This one is really easy; my sister makes it every Easter...

She slices up a ball of mozzarella cheese and on top of each round of cheese, she puts a slice of tomato and then drizzles Italian dressing over it. Very quick and tasty...and it looks nice on the platter :).

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 12:10:10 PM »
Baked brie in pastry with jam or mushrooms
Hummus with vegetables
Hot spinach dip with crusty bread
Stuffed mushrooms
Mini quiches
Feta and spinach in phyllo
Mushroom tartlets
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

POF

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 12:52:17 PM »
I know it's boring, but (through my habit) my job is to bring a huge pile of fresh cut veggies to every family holiday feast.  They're good for nibbling without filling up, and double as a side dish for anyone on restrictions or looking for something lighter so they can have enough calories/carbs left for the dessert spread.

I also bring a big fresh salad, with homemade dressing on the side and a little bowls of goodies for on top.  Same reason .. I need something fresh and green

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 03:16:39 PM »
Deviled eggs to match the Easter theme? You could colour the fillings with different things (paprika? Wasabi? Tumeric?) to add the the theme :P

I saw a Facebook post (can't find it but I'm sure Google could help you :)) that showed hard-boiled eggs that had somehow been dyed like Easter eggs - but the whites not the shells. Or maybe that would look too weird? :P

Someone mentioned veggies and I wanted to add that the right veggies can be awesome. Carrots and celery are pretty tired, but I remember being impressed at one get-together to find a plate piled with fresh sugar snap peas. They tasted amazing all on their own. So a more "exotic" or colorful veggie plate (red and yellow bell peppers come to mind and I'm sure there are others) would be a nice fresh taste of spring.  ;D

Oooo ooo! Have you thought about edible flowers? Having those or mixing them in a salad would make for a nice Easter/spring theme.

Maybe cute little chicken wings? I have a teriyaki marinade that I soak them in for a few days...just thinking chicken and egg dishes would be good for Easter.  ;D

Or...ummmmm...ambrosia salad? very colorful...but maybe too dessert-y?

Welp, I'm officially out of ideas.  :-\

Good luck! ;D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

POF

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 06:36:12 PM »
These are all really great ideas... I have not had ambrosia salad in years ... always loved that.

Chicken wings.... everyone loves those ... and I can not believe I didn't remember deviled eggs.

I was thinking a hot crab dip .. but never found one I like .... anyone have one they want to share>

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 06:55:31 PM »
Here's the crab dip recipe I got from a friend some thirty years ago.  We've used it ever since.  It's pretty simple and easy, and makes a lot of dip.

3 cans crab (or equivalent in fresh crabmeat)
3 packages cream cheese  (I think these are 8 oz size?  The regular sized bars.)
1 stick butter
salt, pepper, garlic, lemon juice to taste

Melt butter and cream cheese in the microwave.  Mix in everything else.  Heat.  Serve with crackers, melba toast, or other bread.

We use quite a bit of garlic, pepper, and lemon juice, but we don't use any salt at all.

You can also add Tabasco or other hot sauce, if you like it spicy.  Chopped chives or green onions might also be a nice addition, though I've never tried them in this recipe.

Edited to fix an error in the amount of cream cheese.