Author Topic: Need some appetizer ideas for Easter  (Read 3185 times)

sweetonsno

Re: Need some appetizer ideas for Easter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 02:20:29 AM »
This is easy and delicious, but it will ruin everyone's breath.

Ellen's Appetizer (from my mom's fabulous friend Ellen)

You'll need:
a block of cream cheese or neufchâtel
a jar of oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
a clove or two of garlic
a jar of capers
some pine nuts (raw's better than toasted)

Let the cream cheese/neufchâtel come to room temperature, then spread into the bottom of your serving dish. A pie plate or small casserole works great.

Peel a couple of cloves of garlic. Remove the root end and any green middle bits. Press the cloves of garlic directly onto the cheese, and spread out. You want the garlic juice and bits to be fairly evenly distributed.

Pull out a few of the sun-dried tomatoes and chop finely. (If you got the julienne cut variety, this will be easier to accomplish.) You'll want to use quite a few of them.

Sprinkle on a handful of the pine nuts and a couple of tablespoons of drained capers.

Drizzle on some of the oil from the tomatoes.

This is less a dip than a spread, so you'll want to have a couple of little knives on hand. It's quite thick, so doesn't work quite as well with crackers. I like it on sliced baguette.

(You could probably cream all of the ingredients into the cream cheese as well, but it won't be quite as pretty that way.)

Here's another recipe. I recently had it at a friend's house and it made me so very happy. Asparagus is good for spring: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Tuscan-Style-Roasted-Asparagus

Finally, you could make deviled eggs in the spirit of Easter.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 06:50:49 AM »
Easter is one of the holidays where people show up at our house a few hours before lunch is actually served so there is usually some hardy appetizers available.

I'm making this Basil cheese log again for Easter this year. It's very colorful.
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/basil-cheese-roulade-10000001057296/

We also like to have a spicey pimento and cheese spread out and my sister always brings a large tray of deviled eggs. 

I've also served an Italian Easter Bread one year while the kids were hunting eggs and it was a hit.

I took this to the office the other day and thought it would be nice for a brunch or for an Easter appetizer.  It's a blueberry filled bread. I didn't use the pearl sugar but some other sugar I had on hand for the topping.
http://italiandish.squarespace.com/imported-20090913150324/2012/6/4/blueberry-walkaway.html

doodlemor

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 05:34:58 PM »
I really like Rohanna's egg idea because of the previous delayed dinners that you have endured at Sally's house.  I think that some protein is needed.

I'd be wary of taking dyed eggs to someone else's home, in case there was spillage that stained something.

I've heard of Scandinavians putting shrimp on deviled eggs, or adding apple chunks.  There are probably many other good things to add, too.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:20:33 PM by doodlemor »

lowspark

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 04:09:37 PM »
If you're considering making buffalo wings, I highly recommend this recipe I found on the Rachael Ray website.
http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/meatball-shops-mini-buffalo-chicken-balls/
Not wings but meatballs so a little bit more work up front, but no bones or messiness associated with wings.

I made a boatload of these for two parties I was involved with a week apart. They were really really easy, minimal ingredients and they were a big hit at both parties. I also made the blue cheese dressing which, regardless of how many meatballs you make, don't make more than one recipe's worth because not everyone loves blue cheese.

Since I had to make so many, and the parties were a week apart, I made them all at once, baked them, then froze them in ziplock bags. They reheated nicely in the microwave and then I just served them in a chafing dish so they'd stay warm.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 07:15:28 PM »
I do a variation on this recipe for a reuben dip: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/reuben-dip/

The variation is that I mix everything together (instead of layering) and put it in a microwaveable dish. Microwave on medium heat for 10ish+ minutes, stirring every 3-4-5 minutes or so until it's thoroughly heated and the cheese is melted. Serve with cocktail rye squares.

I do the microwave version because that's usually more readily available rather than taking up the hosts oven space. If you have oven space available, baking it in the oven is better (but I still mix everything together instead of layering.)

Here's a spin off of the standard shrimp cocktail:

Start with a standard dinner plate (or other shallow serving vessel) and press 2 sticks of cream cheese (amounts may vary depending on the size of vessel that you use) on the plate so that the cream cheese layer is about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.

Slather the cream cheese with your favorite brand of cocktail sauce.*

Drain 2 cans of crab meat so that there isn't any water left. Flake it up with a fork and sprinkle it on top of the cocktail sauce. Lightly press it into the sauce.

Serve with your favorite brand of crackers.

*Homemade cocktail sauce -- sorry, I don't have exact measurements :-\ and everything can be adjusted to your own taste.

Equal parts ketchup and horseradish (maybe like 1/3 cup each?)
One large lemon (freshly squeezed) juice
About a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
A dash of salt and pepper

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 09:13:39 PM »
Deviled eggs to match the Easter theme? You could colour the fillings with different things (paprika? Wasabi? Tumeric?) to add the the theme :P

I saw a Facebook post (can't find it but I'm sure Google could help you :)) that showed hard-boiled eggs that had somehow been dyed like Easter eggs - but the whites not the shells. Or maybe that would look too weird? :P

Someone mentioned veggies and I wanted to add that the right veggies can be awesome. Carrots and celery are pretty tired, but I remember being impressed at one get-together to find a plate piled with fresh sugar snap peas. They tasted amazing all on their own. So a more "exotic" or colorful veggie plate (red and yellow bell peppers come to mind and I'm sure there are others) would be a nice fresh taste of spring.  ;D

Oooo ooo! Have you thought about edible flowers? Having those or mixing them in a salad would make for a nice Easter/spring theme.

Maybe cute little chicken wings? I have a teriyaki marinade that I soak them in for a few days...just thinking chicken and egg dishes would be good for Easter.  ;D

Or...ummmmm...ambrosia salad? very colorful...but maybe too dessert-y?

Welp, I'm officially out of ideas.  :-\

Good luck! ;D

I saw that too. I found the link! http://realmomkitchen.com/10823/easter-deviled-eggs/

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 09:45:31 PM »
My most popular appetizer is also the simplest.

White bean salad
3 cans Cannellini beans, drained
4 plum tomatoes, cut into eights
Good olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Salt and Pepper
Gently toss the beans and tomatoes. Mix the remaining ingredients in another bowl adjusting to taste, then drizzle over beans and tomatoes. Toss and serve.

7 layer dip
1 can refried beans (I use fat free organic)
1 can chopped green chilies, drained
2-3 avocados, mashed and mixed with lime juice and salt or store bought Wholly guacamole
8 oz Sour cream (I use low fat)
2-3 tablespoons Taco seasoning
Shredded cheddar or 4-cheese Mexican cheese blend
Tomatoes, lettuce, scallions, anything else you can think of

Mix the refried beans and green chilies, spread in the bottom of a casserole dish. Spread the guacamole on top. Mix the sour cream and taco seasoning, spread on top of the guacamole. Sprinkle the cheese and other ingredients on top. Serve with vegetables, Fritos scoops, tortilla chips, warmed flour tortilla wedges. We have this often, and there are never leftovers!

Amara

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 02:01:12 PM »
If you like the idea of deviled eggs, how about these Guacamole Deviled Eggs: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/03/guacamole-deviled-eggs.html

She has the best recipes!

mw8242

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 04:07:33 PM »
I make this http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vegetable-pizza-i/ a lot for potluck type things.  Everyone loves it!  It's a lot quicker to make than it may appear.

This! It is super popular with my family this holiday season. It's very yummy!

doodlemor

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 02:07:30 PM »
Here's an interesting appetizer idea that I remembered as deviled eggs:

http://annesfood.blogspot.com/2008/05/egg-salad-bites.html

I wonder if it could be served as a dip for toasted pieces of rye bread, or those little party rye slices.

o_gal

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 11:45:28 AM »
This one is really easy; my sister makes it every Easter...

She slices up a ball of mozzarella cheese and on top of each round of cheese, she puts a slice of tomato and then drizzles Italian dressing over it. Very quick and tasty...and it looks nice on the platter :).

This is what I'm going to suggest but with a twist - add basil. I'm going to do these for a side dish for Easter but they also work great as an appetizer.

Caprese Salad on a Stick

Fresh Mozzarella cheese
Fresh basil
Cherry or grape tomatoes
Italian dressing or an olive oil vinaigrette with herbs in it
Tooth picks

Count the number of tomatoes and leaves of basil you have - if you have more basil than tomatoes you can always double up a bit on the basil. Then slice up the cheese until you have the same number of slices as tomatoes. On each tooth pick, skewer 1 tomato, a slice of basil (you might want to fold it in half if it is large), then the slice of cheese. After all are assembled, drizzle with the dressing.

POF

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »
yum sounds really good ... and nice and fresh

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 10:32:35 PM »
If you like the idea of deviled eggs, how about these Guacamole Deviled Eggs: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/03/guacamole-deviled-eggs.html

She has the best recipes!

Oh my gosh this is awesome! I love guac and I love deviled eggs - how have I never thought of this?? ::)

I'm not waiting for Easter to try these!

I think I'm going to combine this recipe with the dyed-egg one - I'll be eating the craziest looking deviled eggs ever!  ;D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 08:01:47 PM »
This one is really easy; my sister makes it every Easter...

She slices up a ball of mozzarella cheese and on top of each round of cheese, she puts a slice of tomato and then drizzles Italian dressing over it. Very quick and tasty...and it looks nice on the platter :).

I have another version of this; buy the little grape tomatoes, and mozz. balls. put one of each on a toothpick, and drizzle with the dressing.

Mikayla

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 03:08:24 PM »
On the crab dip, I have one I've made for years in the mini crockpots.  I just put in a large cream cheese, a can of crab, a couple teaspoons of lemon juice, a couple teaspoons of white wine, cracked pepper and a little garlic salt.  My theory is not to compete with the crab flavor.

Also, a block of cream cheese can make a great quick dip if you just dump it on a platter and cover with jalapeno jelly or red pepper jelly.  For obvious reasons, at Christmas, it's fun to do both.  I love this with Triscuits.