Etiquette School is in session! > The Ehell Guide to Never Behaving Badly

Job HUNTING Etiquette: A Guide for the Job Seeker

<< < (2/7) > >>

nuit93:
#14: Send thank-you notes to the people you met/who interviewed you!

BeagleMommy:
Know that the person interviewing you will, most likely, not be the person scheduling the interview.  If his/her secretary/assistant calls you to schedule an interview listen carefully to the dates and times that are available.

Ex:  If I tell you he has available appointments on Monday, Wednesday or Friday between 9:00 am and 11:00 am please don't ask if he has anything after 4:00 pm or can he meet you on a Saturday.  If any of those times were available I would have told you.

Please be clean.  This shouldn't have to be said, but when you show up to an interview reeking of BO it is not going to go well for you.  On that same note, please keep perfume use to a minimum.  One applicant to our program left a cloud of scent everywhere she went.  Most people found it annoying, but the one supervisor who has asthma found it suffocating.

mstigerlily:

--- Quote from: snowdragon on March 21, 2013, 11:19:21 AM ---11) Dress Appropriately Extremely low cut tops, or pants so baggy we see your undershorts, are not appropriate. A nice dress and a clean suit will do you well. No it's not "discrimination" to expect a bit of class.

--- End quote ---

I prefer to think of this rule as "Dress as well as, or better than, the your interviewer/company's employees". Meaning, I am interviewing for jobs, most of which as business casual, even men wear nice jeans there. I would go to the interview wearing a suit or nice dress (business attire, or what I call "law-firm attire")

Rule #15 Be nice to everyone you meet while on an interview. If you are rude to the secretary/assistant/intern/bottom-of-the-barrel-working-peons we will tell the hiring person- and believe me, they care about me more than about you!

Auntie Mame:

--- Quote from: mstigerlily on April 08, 2013, 09:51:24 AM ---

Rule #15 Be nice to everyone you meet while on an interview. If you are rude to the secretary/assistant/intern/bottom-of-the-barrel-working-peons we will tell the hiring person- and believe me, they care about me more than about you!

--- End quote ---

You beat me to it!  You would be shocked at the number of people whop are rude, condescending or snotty to me to me when I schedule their interviews.  Believe me, the manager I schedule interviews for values my input and asks me for my first impression of them and what I thought.  Some folks have the lost the job even before the interview because of the way they treated me. 

Auntie Mame:
Rule 16: Make your resume easy to read.  No fancy fonts, no bright colors, no "creative" formatting.  I need to be able to skim it and determine in a few minutes whether or not you are qualified for the job.   

I have a lot of resumes and very little time to read them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version