Author Topic: Childish answer, but how rude is it?  (Read 3849 times)

turnip

Re: Childish answer, but how rude is it?
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 12:48:58 PM »
I'm not familiar with this phrase and therefore don't associate it with elementary school children, so if I heard someone say it, it wouldn't strike me as being childish.  It actually sounds to me like something an adult would say to a child to teach them to not be nosy. 

Like some others have said, until you mentioned the threat aspect, I didn't get that intent. I just thought it meant "good people live longer." 

If it was said in a lighthearted manner to someone you're close to, I wouldn't consider it rude.  And, if you said it to your great-aunt Mary who keeps hounding you about when are you going to have kids or lose weight, etc., I don't think she'd think you were threatening to kill her if she didn't shut up.

When I was a kid, we used to say "mind your own beeswax."  I just looked it up and saw that this phrase started in the 1930s, which surprised me because I thought we were being very original in the 80s.   ;D

I'd be baffled by the statement and I think the bolded clarifies for me why.  I get that a general policy of keeping to yourself can be wise, but are investigative journalists 'bad people'?   What about mandated reporters?   There are all sorts of situations where I think getting involved in other people's 'business' is the correct and moral thing to do - so I find it just kind of odd thing to go around scolding about.    Not to mention a bit hypocritical - isn't telling someone to mind their own business in effect getting into their business?

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 12:52:01 PM »
My thought is that the line isn't a credible death threat, but it is credibly hostile.  If someone says, "if you mess this up I'll kill you myself" I don't take it as a serious threat to my life, but I do understand the implication that the person will be angry with me and may act in some detrimental way as a result of my messing up.  So, telling this quip is still a pretty hostile way of telling someone to back off, and there are many more polite ways to say the same thing.  For example, sweetonsno's response of "I prefer not to discuss that" is a much better choice.

Given that, my vote is both childish and rude.

Virg

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 12:54:49 PM »
My thought is that the line isn't a credible death threat, but it is credibly hostile.  If someone says, "if you mess this up I'll kill you myself" I don't take it as a serious threat to my life, but I do understand the implication that the person will be angry with me and may act in some detrimental way as a result of my messing up.  So, telling this quip is still a pretty hostile way of telling someone to back off, and there are many more polite ways to say the same thing.  For example, sweetonsno's response of "I prefer not to discuss that" is a much better choice.

Given that, my vote is both childish and rude.

Virg

POD.  You said what I meant much better that I did.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 03:20:23 PM »

I think it is kind of funny. Childish, sure, but so many funny things are.

I took it along the same lines as I'd take, "I could tell you but I'd have to kill you" -- a jocular way of telling me to mind my own business. It would never occur to me to take it as a threat.

Like that.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Seiryuu

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2013, 03:32:58 PM »
I'm going to have to say it really depends on where you say it and how you say it. Saying something along the lines of "I'm going to kill you" shouldn't be done too cheerfully or seriously. It's easiest to tell the person is joking when they're mock-angry.

Last_Dance

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 04:25:15 AM »
(Someday I will become an efficient poster, I swear)

I don't use this sentence at all, it just came back to me while reading a "rude Mr/Miss Buttinski story" and I wondered whether we were rude while we thought we were funny/witty.
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.