General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Door is closed, light is on... do you knock first?

(1/15) > >>

steelstress:
The bathroom only has facilities for one person at a time (in the office).  Door is completely closed, but you can see the light is on at the bottom of the door.  Do you try the doorknob first, or knock?

When I'm in there, if another person needs it, they just try to walk on in.  They mess with the knob, realize it's locked, then wait or walk away.  There's only 4 of us using that bathroom.  Shouldn't they knock first before trying to force their way in?  I finally had to lecture them today about it, ESPECIALLY when the light is on.  Isn't it common sense to figure if the light is on, assume someone is in there?  They said sometimes people leave the light on (them) after they exit.

I can't believe they never learned to knock first.  I knock even when it's dark.

katycoo:
If a bathroom door is closed, I always knock.  I'll proceed when there is no answer.

Aeris:
It sort of depends on how sound proof the door is. Most bathrooms I've seen that have a fully closing door (not a stall), you have to shout to be heard through the door anyway. So I personally find it vaguely annoying when people knock, because then I have to shout "JUST A MOMENT" while on the toilet, which is just rather uncomfortable. If they just try the door, then they get to realize on their own that someone is in there without requiring any interaction from me.

But here's the thing - even though I find the knocking slightly uncomfortable, I recognize that not everyone thinks about it the same way, so I don't see any value in getting upset about it. There's not a 'right' way or a 'wrong' way to handle it. My preferred way doesn't appear to be your preferred way.

I certainly wouldn't *lecture* other grown adults about how they approach the bathroom door, and if someone (even my superior) lectured me, I'd be pretty annoyed. If someone who was not my superior lectured me about how I approached a bathroom door, I'd be floored.

sweetonsno:
I'm with Aeris. The knock is usually louder (and more startling) than the ktch-ktch sound that someone trying the door makes, and I find it a bit embarrassing to need to yell that it's occupied. I'd much rather that they just give it a try and then wait. I'd also be taken aback if someone lectured me on this type of thing.

This situation is exactly why I wish all one-seaters had a lock that showed "vacant" when the lock isn't engaged and "occupied" when it is.

Hmmmmm:

--- Quote from: steelstress on March 13, 2013, 12:57:14 AM ---The bathroom only has facilities for one person at a time (in the office).  Door is completely closed, but you can see the light is on at the bottom of the door.  Do you try the doorknob first, or knock?

When I'm in there, if another person needs it, they just try to walk on in.  They mess with the knob, realize it's locked, then wait or walk away.  There's only 4 of us using that bathroom.  Shouldn't they knock first before trying to force their way in?  I finally had to lecture them today about it, ESPECIALLY when the light is on.  Isn't it common sense to figure if the light is on, assume someone is in there?  They said sometimes people leave the light on (them) after they exit.

I can't believe they never learned to knock first.  I knock even when it's dark.

--- End quote ---

Well, since you already lectured other adults I'm not sure why you are asking us the answer to that question.

I have no issue with someone walking up and trying the knob on a closed door. If it's locked as it should be they can walk away.  I don't walk up to doors and try to peek through to see if there is a light on and as one of your co-workers said, some people do forget to turn off the light.

Why are you so angry over someone trying to turn the knob that you'd lecture others?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version