Author Topic: Door is closed, light is on... do you knock first?  (Read 7424 times)

lowspark

Re: Door is closed, light is on... do you knock first?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 11:18:28 AM »
Another vote for "try the knob" as opposed to knocking. I don't like having to yell out either. In addition to which, a loud knock out of nowhere can be fairly startling.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 11:23:54 AM »
Of course, "trying the knob gently" is one thing; simply trying to walk straight in ia another.

jellyjar

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 11:29:48 AM »
One evening at work, I went to go to the bathroom in a section where I thought I was the only one there in that section.  I opened the bathroom to find a coworker using the bathroom.  It was very embarassing and awkward for the rest of the shift for both of us as he was extremely private.  I always vote for knocking on the door. Accidents can happen and people think a door is locked when it isn't. 

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 12:04:39 PM »
I generally just try the knob first. Especially if its a restroom where the door is normally kept closed. If its normally left ajar, I might remember that and knock, or if its in a home where perhaps there isn't a lock I might knock, but 99% of the time in a business setting (either at work, or somewhere I am a customer) I try the knob first. I've never heard of anyone thinking that was rude and if a co-worker lectured me on the practice I'd think there was something very emotionally wrong with them.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 12:06:42 PM »
I usually try the knob (as TootsNYC says, gently) and if it opens, crack it open just enough to see if there's a light on/hear if anyone's in there.  If I don't hear or see anything, I go in.

I'm with PPs--having to yell out to someone who knocks is very awkward for me (and I've also had people not hear me anyway), so I'd prefer the other person just see if the door is locked.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 12:20:59 PM »
Concerning the "lecture", I wonder if it might have been a better idea to just bring it up at break as a point of discussion, as 'How do you all feel about this?' Stating 'My way is the only right way, and this is the only polite way, so do it my way' is a little strong. That's the way it came across, anyway. Please tell me if I am putting too strong words into you mouth.

And that is only if you didn't want or weren't able to see a supervisor first.

I'm sorry you are so disturbed by this whole situation.

DavidH

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 12:24:12 PM »
In general, I try the knob and if it's locked assume that there is someone inside. The only reason I would knock first is if I knew the door didn't lock or it has been locked for so long that I had gone to get a key to over-ride the knob thinking that someone had managed to close the door while it was locked.  In general, I don't want to engage in conversation when I am inside a locked bathroom. 

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 12:25:02 PM »
Is there something wrong with the lock? I'm wondering why you all don't just lock the bathroom door and remove all doubt.
Utah

That Anime Chick

• Rumble Ball!
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 12:43:03 PM »
This happens a lot here, as we have bathrooms like this on the first floor. Yelling "occupied" usually works, and there are two more just down the hall. However, there are some people who will keep jiggling the knob as if that will miraculously make the room not occupied.

At that point if they didn't hear me the first time, I just go on with my business and leave when I'm done. Only once have I gotten a dirty look for not giving up the restroom right away. When you gotta go, you gotta go!

As for the question - knock. Always knock. I just wish people would do the same and answer rather than make me jiggle the handle. I feel like I'm being impatient if I jiggle it and there's someone in there that didn't answer when I knocked.
http://tinyurl.com/5vuusz Thanks for helping my cute lil dragon grow up. Please help my hatchlings and egg? Please?? ^_^

Girly

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 12:46:17 PM »
I've seen a lot of single-room bathrooms where the 'fan' is connected to the light, and could definitely see why people would leave the fan on when they leave the room.

I always try the handle, never knock. Mostly for the reasons already above.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 01:00:36 PM »
Reading this, I realize that I've always equated a door handle jiggle with a knock. Someone's trying to find out if the restroom is occupied. I've always felt the need to say something to indicate that it's occupied.

I figure the person outside might not realize that it's one open room and not a restroom with stalls, so they might not understand why the door is locked. In fact, I figured that's why they were trying the handle, because if they knew it was a open room type of bathroom, they'd knock.

But apparently there is this code that if the door handle is jiggled, no response is needed? I had no idea. EHell is indeed educational.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 01:06:11 PM »
Reading this, I realize that I've always equated a door handle jiggle with a knock. Someone's trying to find out if the restroom is occupied. I've always felt the need to say something to indicate that it's occupied.

I figure the person outside might not realize that it's one open room and not a restroom with stalls, so they might not understand why the door is locked. In fact, I figured that's why they were trying the handle, because if they knew it was a open room type of bathroom, they'd knock.

But apparently there is this code that if the door handle is jiggled, no response is needed? I had no idea. EHell is indeed educational.

Why would a response be required for a doorknob jiggle? The door itself has told them everything they need to know - that the bathroom is occupied. Why do you need to confirm that vocally?

BeagleMommy

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 01:10:58 PM »
I was in a fast food restaurant bathroom where, when you locked the door, the word "occupied" appeared on the door (around the handle).  I heard the door handle jiggle and called out "I'll be right out".  The handle jiggled again only more forcefully.  I called out again, more loudly "I'll be right out" since I was now washing my hands.  Then the handle jiggled VERY loudly, followed by tugging on the door, followed by hysterical laughter.

I will admit I opened the door rather angrily (it opened inward) to find three teenaged girls grinning like loons standing outside.  I didn't say anything, but walked over to the manager and explained the issue.  He asked them why they did what they did and one of them replied "So we could use the mirror"  :o.

I usually try the handle if there's no obvious indication the room is occupied.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 01:11:57 PM »
Bathroom, bedroom, and private office always knock first.
Storage room, okay to try the doorknob/handle.

onyonryngs

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 01:36:41 PM »
Trying the knob is in no way trying to force yourself in the restroom.  If you don't want someone to come in there while you're in there, lock the door, but it's not rude to try the knob vs. knocking.