Etiquette School is in session! > The Ehell Guide to Never Behaving Badly

Culture shock across America

<< < (5/5)

stitchygreyanonymouse:
It’s growing, too, because here in what could be considered "upstate" by NYCers, we call "central" NY, and I’ve actually heard people from here refer to the Hudson Valley (a bit north of NYC) as "upstate" (even though it is south of us. Brain hurt for this midwestern transplant). Watertown considers itself "northern"… a lot of things around there reference that.

Redneck Gravy:

--- Quote from: FoxPaws on March 24, 2013, 11:11:23 AM ---There are some things you just have to “know” about places, even if they aren't so obvious on the surface. Trust the locals. If nobody swims in Piranha Pond, or drives down State Street after dark, or takes a shortcut through Old Man Crankypants’ pasture, there's probably a good reason.

--- End quote ---

Yes! this times ten.  Safety trumps Etiquette - I've read that on here a hundred times. 

And when someone says something, "just isn't done" it isn't.  SO DON'T DO IT!

WillyNilly:

--- Quote from: Thipu1 on March 27, 2013, 10:36:42 AM ---Here in NYC, 'The City' only works if you're talking about Manhattan. 

An amusing thing in New York State is the use of 'upstate'.  In NYC, upstate is anything north of Yonkers.  People in Rockland or Westchesters consider 'upstate' as Albany.  In Albany, 'upstate' is Watertown, just south of the Canadian border.  People in Watertown don't use the term at all.

--- End quote ---

Since when is Yonkers not upstate?  ;)
If its north of The Boogie Down, its upstate to me!

Danika:

--- Quote from: Thipu1 on March 27, 2013, 10:36:42 AM ---An amusing thing in New York State is the use of 'upstate'.  In NYC, upstate is anything north of Yonkers.  People in Rockland or Westchesters consider 'upstate' as Albany.  In Albany, 'upstate' is Watertown, just south of the Canadian border.  People in Watertown don't use the term at all.

--- End quote ---

It reminds me of Massachusetts.

Every time you ask a resident "Where is X city" if the city is west of Boston, they seem to reply "Western Mass." Therefore, a majority of the cities in Massachusetts are in Western Mass.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version