Author Topic: Any Clive Barker fans?  (Read 339 times)

TexasRanger

• Bondye Bon
Any Clive Barker fans?
« on: March 13, 2013, 10:04:45 PM »
Don't tell me I'm the only one on here who loves this man's work! ;) Which books/movies are your favorites and which did you not really like?

For Me:

Everville 4/5: Probably because I read this one before "The Great and Secret Show", but at times there where too many characters and random bits of info thrown at you.

Sacrament 2/5: The parts *Spoilers: where Will is the coma from the bear attack and he goes back to his childhood and his meeting with Steep and Rosa are really good, but it bogs down once he returns to LA. The  whole AIDS thing felt a little out of place.

Cabal 5/5: Loved the other world, only issue was how it ended.

Thief of Always 5/5: At times it reminded me of Caroline, another one of my favorites.

The Life of Death 4/5:Loved Elaine's interactions with  Kavanagh. I just wish they'd been more clear on who he was. Was he *Spoiler*Death or Pestilence?

How Spoilers Bleed 5/5: Very nightmarish and made my skin crawl. Love the play on words with the title.

The Last Illusion 2/5: This one was sorta "meh" with me. Liked the movie adaptation better.

The Damnation Game 4/5: Loved the part when *Spoiler* Bella comes back from the dead and Marty stumbles upon her in the hallway, just thumping her tail at him. Thought it was kind of touching that she was still waiting for a treat.   The Knife Eater was a little cliche. Liked the back story on The Last European. It could of been better if it had been shortened a bit. Too much time was spent doing nothing.

Abarat 5/5: Read this one several years ago and recall that I loved it.

Movies:
Hellraiser: The part with the guy "coming back" in the attic freaked me out.
Candyman: Couldn't sleep due to the parts with the dog and the restroom.
Book of Blood: Another freaky one. Especially the part where the girl has her face torn off and you can see her still breathing. :o
Lord of Illusions: Loved the henchman, Butterfield's, since of style. The noise Nix made *Spoiler* when he was pushed into the hole was funny. Reminded me of something from a cartoon.  ;D

I have Imajica, Cold Heart Canyon and The Inhuman Condition (Books of Blood vol 4) checked out from the library. I'm almost done with The Great and Secret Show. I have to go to a different library to try and find his other books.
Bourik swe pou chwal dekore ak dentel

Miss Tickle

Re: Any Clive Barker fans?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:23:55 PM »
I love short fiction, and The Books of Blood are some of my favourites. Weaveworld is also one of my favourites.  Now that you mention it, I'm going to see if I can find it and read it again.

I thought Everville was a sequel to The Great and Secret Show, so I can see it would be strange to read them out of order.

Don't you sometimes get the feeling that the internet is The Great and Secret Show? Instead of sitting in a room opening envelopes and reading what's inside we're... sitting in behind a screen opening URL's and reading what's inside.  In both cases, you never know what you're going to find.

TexasRanger

• Bondye Bon
Re: Any Clive Barker fans?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:32:19 PM »
I love short fiction, and The Books of Blood are some of my favourites. Weaveworld is also one of my favourites.  Now that you mention it, I'm going to see if I can find it and read it again.

I thought Everville was a sequel to The Great and Secret Show, so I can see it would be strange to read them out of order.

Don't you sometimes get the feeling that the internet is The Great and Secret Show? Instead of sitting in a room opening envelopes and reading what's inside we're... sitting in behind a screen opening URL's and reading what's inside.  In both cases, you never know what you're going to find.

It is. The copy of Everville that my library had didn't mention that it was part of a series.

Now that you mention it about the internet.  :o
Bourik swe pou chwal dekore ak dentel