Poll

Have you always had the same name on EHell?

Yes, I've only used one name here.
46 (66.7%)
No, I've changed my name due to privacy concerns.
8 (11.6%)
No. I change my name when the mood takes me!
4 (5.8%)
No.  I've returned after an absence with another name.
2 (2.9%)
No.  Other reasons.
9 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Name changes?  (Read 952 times)

Redsoil

Name changes?
« on: April 01, 2013, 10:16:38 AM »
I know some posters change their name from time-to-time, and wondered about the reasons.  One other thing I've noticed is sometimes, a poster will have quite a high post count, but I don't recognise the name at all.  (Of course it's also possible they're simply returning after a hiatus.)

Anyhow, thought it may make an interesting poll.   :)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Name changes?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 11:07:34 AM »
Not really privacy concerns, but I said some really stupid things under my first name and was hoping to get a fresh start.

I still say stupid things sometimes, but not as bad.

I left my location and age and gender information the same, so you could easily find it on my profile, and of course the history follows me, but maybe not the memory of the community members, I hope.

Arrynne

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:18:50 PM »
I changed my name very early on.  The other name is in use just about everywhere, and I didn't want to inadvertently embarrass someone I know in person. 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 01:59:20 PM »
I started as PackRat, but people tended to assume I was male (especially when I talked about my wife), so I picked a gendered name.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:05:29 PM »
I started as PackRat, but people tended to assume I was male (especially when I talked about my wife), so I picked a gendered name.

Hahaha, I think many posters initially think I am male (I am not), I just think that makes for more interesting reading!

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 10:22:25 PM »
I changed my username in 2010 after my parents discovered my identity on eHell (and spent the next few hours systematically reading all the posts I'd ever made here...)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 10:25:36 PM »
I can't remember my first name, but it was not "me". I felt awful after choosing this name, and finding there already was a LadyKnight.

Minmom3

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 10:25:44 PM »
Life on Pluto - 

:o  Holy Moly!  Safety breach, safety breach, safety breach....  (Sounding of klaxons)
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 10:29:41 PM »
I actually started using my name in the late 1990s, when being female was a serious liability on the internet.  Still is, in some places - I use a combination of my first and middle name most of the time nowadays, but I went by "SlartibartfastJunior" on Slashdot (an internet troll mothership) and joined here around the same time I was active there, so I stuck with the non-gendered name.  People who are familiar with the books usually assume I'm male elsewhere online, except for one notable small forum where the guy who ran it couldn't for the life of him remember how to spell "Slartibartfast" so he dubbed me "Sausage" instead.  (He then went on to found Tumblr and become a major tech guru, but this was when he was my high school boyfriend's best friend and ran this piddly little online rant forum.  The few times I've contacted him since, I've signed it with "Sausage" and he knew who I was  :P)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 12:30:30 AM »
I was afbluebride. But I figured I couldn't be a bride forever, and now I'm stationed in the Deep South. Plus, I'd like to think of myself as a modern Scarlet O'Hara... she's fiesty! >:D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 02:01:23 AM »
I used to be Sefaeria for five years. But the forum has changed and so have I. So now I use the name Daffydilly.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 06:37:32 PM »
I used to be Sefaeria for five years. But the forum has changed and so have I. So now I use the name Daffydilly.

That's interesting. I always wondered what happened to Sefaeria.

Along with many others that aren't posters any more . . . Now I wonder if others went 'incognito' by changing their name!

Not that it matters, of course.  ;)

katiescarlett

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 10:31:13 PM »
I was sapphiresandrubies when I first signed up.  It didn't take very long before I changed my name, and katiescarlett fits me much better.  Unless there is a major breach of security, that will be my name here forever.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 09:31:45 AM »
I changed mine, slightly, when I moved. RebeccainAR was pretty unique - there aren't that many PEOPLE in Arkansas, so it was a conversation starter. RebeccainGA isn't as unique - there are more people in my new hometown than there were in the entire state of Arkansas!