Author Topic: Books in the bathroom.  (Read 7291 times)

Miss Tickle

Books in the bathroom.
« on: March 13, 2013, 10:40:19 PM »
I don't know if this had been addressed before, if so, forgive me.

I know Seinfeld did the book in the mens room episode, but I grew up with reading material in the bathroom, so... does anyone else keep reading material in the bathroom? Magazines, comics, paperbacks, or hardcovers (not a nook)? Is it rude to keep what you're personally reading in the bathroom when you're not in there? Is it just gross or unsanitary?

I have a reason for asking, but I'm not sure if it matters.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
Re: Books in the bathroom.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:48:52 PM »
Actually, I'm in/out relatively quickly.  But most friends/relatives have a magazine rack with an assortment.

I know Seinfeld did the book in the men's room episode,
George took a $125 art book into the men's room at Brentano's, then couldn't get rid of it because it was "flagged".  ;D

diesel_darlin

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:50:32 PM »
I have a variety of magazines in the loo.  8)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 11:04:20 PM »
I always have a book in my bathroom. I have a whole collection of "Uncle John's Bathroom Readers", so I know I'm not the only one. :)

AngelicGamer

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 12:15:25 AM »
I take my Kindle in with me.  I keep a Sudoku book in there though.  Before the Kindle, I had rotating books / magazines in there.  Just something to keep me occupied.

I will say that I was trained to go to the bathroom this way back when.  I was reading at a very early age, so when it came time to potty train, mom bought me a book and we talked about what to do.  That was around age 3 as the daycare I was going to required a kid to be potty trained.  Since then, it's just been a lot easier to go while reading / occupied.  So I wonder how many people read in the bathroom because of that and how many just like reading anywhere.  :)

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Amara

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 12:50:24 AM »
Eeeeeeeeewwwwww! This topic has come up several times on a book discussion forum to which I belong, and it seems as though more people agree with those here. But for me? Major ugh. Even if I was in there long enough to pick up a magazines I would never, never, never do it. I am so careful with the very nasty bacteria in bathrooms that it's not even an option.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 12:57:15 AM »
For a lot of people it does help the, um, process along to have reading material, to occupy the mind while the body does its thing. I don't think it's really a physical necessity, more of a psychological/habitual thing. When I smoked, I absolutely had to have a cigarette while talking on the phone ... same sort of connection.

Until I saw that "Seinfeld" episode, though, it never occurred to me that my bathroom reading material might have cooties. Yes, I've read the studies that say flushing spreads toilet germs throughout the room, but if I'm able to put my toothbrush in my mouth without getting sick, I don't worry too much about what random germs might be on a book or magazine that went into the little room with me.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Bluenomi

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 01:27:10 AM »
My parents always have reading material, Dad can spend hours in there, I suspect to get away from the wife and 4 daughters  :D

I take books, magazines, iphone, Ds, whatever in with me but I don't leave stuff there. Sometimes I'll open my mail in there! I always close the lid before I flush so nothing in there is going to get any more germs on them than anywhere else in the house.

Library Dragon

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 01:50:24 AM »
Joseph Champlin wrote a book decades ago called Behind Closed Doors about prayer.  The title was based on a survey that most people kept their devotional material in the bathroom. 

I keep some reading material, magazines, etc., in mine. 

Food and Wine magazine had an article about the bathroom being cleaner than the kitchen http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/fyi-your-kitchen-is-probably-dirtier-than-a-toilet-seat

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Silversurfer

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 01:53:17 AM »
I have never had reading material in the room containing the toilet. My parents never did either.
I do however, enjoy reading a book or magazine in the bath, but the book dosent stay in that room.

Amara

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 02:00:20 AM »
Food and Wine magazine had an article about the bathroom being cleaner than the kitchen http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/fyi-your-kitchen-is-probably-dirtier-than-a-toilet-seat

Oh yes, kitchens are filthy too. Cook's Illustrated also looked at kitchen cleaners and their "effectiveness." I use bleach in the bathroom and, based on the CI article, undiluted plain vinegar in the kitchen.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 04:14:41 AM »
Absolutely. I've always had magazines, cartoons or comic books out there. So did my parents and my uncles and aunts.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 04:58:54 AM »
No, never, it grosses me out.

Melle

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 05:16:47 AM »
I don't leave books in my bathroom - there's no reasonable place to put them that can't potentially get wet - but I take one with me for... times I know I'll be there a while ;)

I don't think it's unsanitary, particularly because 1) I tend to splash a lot when I'm washing my face / brushing my teeth so the surfaces get wiped clean at least twice a day and 2) I always wash my hands after "the deed is done" and before picking the book back up to return to the living room.

However, as a librarian I have to say: please don't take library books to bathrooms, particularly public bathrooms - for your own safety as well as that of the people who borrow it after you. Wrapping them in foil so they can be wiped down can only do so much...

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 06:05:30 AM »
Do people honestly sit on the loo for long enough to make picking up a book worthwhile?