Author Topic: Books in the bathroom.  (Read 7111 times)

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
Re: Books in the bathroom.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 06:47:42 AM »
Do people honestly sit on the loo for long enough to make picking up a book worthwhile?

Yes, honestly. Why would you doubt that?

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 06:57:43 AM »
Do people honestly sit on the loo for long enough to make picking up a book worthwhile?

No need for snark, it is an honest question.

I just can't imagine spending more than 2 minutes doing my business unless I was really unwell - which is why I asked.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 07:10:39 AM »

I just can't imagine spending more than 2 minutes doing my business unless I was really unwell - which is why I asked.

I was not being snarky. My question was honest too, since many people in this thread have admitted reading in the bathroom, I was wondering why you were doubting their words.

You are fortunate that you spend so little time in the bathroom. Many others have, uh, slower systems or other digestive issues.

AliciaLynette

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 07:12:50 AM »
I grew up taking books to the loo with me, mainly because in our house, if you put a book down it either got covered up with something or someone else was wanting to read it and it therefore disappeared.
The last option is why my dad slept with 3 Harry Potter books under his pillow for 2 weeks, to make sure he got to read them all the way through with no interruptions!  My sisters moaned like hell, but I didn't, I was a sneaky child.  I went and sat on the bed, read each book in turn and put them back!  Dad never guessed.

We grew up without a tv, and almost every wall was bookshelves.  I can remember the year I turned 11, between the 5 of us in the house, I think there were no less than 20 books being read at any given time.  Of course, with that many of us in the house, sometimes the loo was the only place you could get peace and quiet long enough to finish reading a book!

In our downstairs loo, I have a couple of half-completed crossword/codeword books, and a couple of 'chick-lit/beach-read' books that I don'tr care if they get ruined, in case someone wants reading material whilst they're in there.  The bathroom upstairs has no space for books.
Children are natural mimics; they act like their parents in spite of every effort to teach them good manners.
Author Unknown

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 07:27:06 AM »

2 minutes is still 2 minutes that could be spent reading ;D

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 08:18:18 AM »
I have a little basket that I put in my bathroom specifically for holding books. There's no good spot for them in the guest bath and not many people use it anyway, so I haven't bothered. When I'm out of the house, I use my iPhone instead of reading. I'll usually get on my NYT Crossword app or play solitaire, but sometimes I check E-Hell... :)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 08:51:30 AM »
Always!

I miss my friend's bathroom. She had a full bookcase in there!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

MindsEye

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 08:56:14 AM »
Books in the bathroom?  Of course!  DH and I have bookshelves and stacks of books in every other room of our house, so why would the bathroom be spared?  :)

The "permanent" bathroom reading material mostly consists of National Geographic magazines more than a month or two old and comic books (Get Fuzzy, Dilbert, and old Far Side books mostly).  Though I have been known to bring paperbacks or my Kindle in there with me when I am planning a lengthy "contemplation".  Ahem.

As for germs/the squik factor... is there a word for someone who is the opposite of a germophobe?  Because that's me.  Don't get me wrong, I clean regularly and well.  I just don't see the point of spending time fretting over germs when I could be reading instead.

Redwing

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 09:07:30 AM »
I've always taken reading material with me.  In my bathroom are the Reader's Digest my husband loves, a few books that I know I can open at random and start reading, and one or more Uncle John's bathroom books.  I always close the seat before flushing as does my husband, so I don't worry.  I'm not a germophobe at all.

jmarvellous

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 09:28:58 AM »
We don't have space, nor would I like to store a book or more in there, but I have nothing against taking one in, then putting it back where it belongs. We don't do that often, though.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 09:46:31 AM »
I just bring my own in with me.  I grew up with it, so it's not strange to me.  Better to bring it and not need it than to not bring it and find out too late that you're not going anywhere anytime soon.  Ohhh, the boredom...

I can only see it really being an etiquette issue if it's someone else's bathroom.  Very few people are close enough to me that I would even use their bathrooms, and even then I ignore the magazine basket/stack if there is one.  One, you never know (germs).  Two, I don't know if they'd rather guests kept their hands off their reading material and I'm too embarrassed to ask!  ;D

Margo

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 10:03:20 AM »
yes, always.

There are some books which live in there (Like MindsEye, I don't have any book-less rooms in my home) which are mainly suitable to dip into briefly - a couple of books of quotations, some far side books, a collection of Stephen Fry's articles, that kind of thing.

I don't think it is remotely insanitary - I always put the book down when I'm done, and won;t touch it again until I've washed my hands.

And yes, 2 minutes or shorter is plenty to read a little. Why waste the time?

I don't read my phone or kindle there, mostly because of the risk of water damage if I dropped either of them into the sink.

I also read in the bath.

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 10:05:22 AM »
Of course. If there isn't any I have to read shampoo bottles or something and books/magazines are far more interesting  ;)
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

onyonryngs

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 10:09:49 AM »
I think you should be able to do what you want in your own bathroom. 

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 10:13:35 AM »
Actually, I'm in/out relatively quickly.  But most friends/relatives have a magazine rack with an assortment.

I had to giggle at your name in this thread. lol!

Back to OP, we always had a magazine basket in our bathrooms growing up full of magazines and books.  It was for both long baths and other stuff.  My bathroom is too small now for a basket on the floor but we do have a small basket in the window that holds books now.