Author Topic: Books in the bathroom.  (Read 6637 times)

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
Re: Books in the bathroom.
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 10:29:44 AM »
Actually, I'm in/out relatively quickly.  But most friends/relatives have a magazine rack with an assortment.

I had to giggle at your name in this thread. lol!

Back to OP, we always had a magazine basket in our bathrooms growing up full of magazines and books.  It was for both long baths and other stuff.  My bathroom is too small now for a basket on the floor but we do have a small basket in the window that holds books now.

Took me a few seconds, but I finally got it.  ;)  You need to get together with my nephew.  Silly.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 10:38:35 AM »
I guess it's my upbringing then.  We never had reading material in the bathroom, not only because my mother believed it was gross but because we were supposed to be in and out the bathroom as quickly as possible no matter what we were using it for.  I'd have been in a heap of trouble if they thought I was in there reading.

Even now I feel guilty if I have a long shower...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:01:22 PM by RingTailedLemur »

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 10:41:13 AM »
I keep silly books in the bathroom, more for other people. I'm debating whether I should add this one, because it's hilarious: http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Your-Poo-Telling-You/dp/0811857824/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 10:54:04 AM »
Actually, I'm in/out relatively quickly.  But most friends/relatives have a magazine rack with an assortment.

I had to giggle at your name in this thread. lol!

Back to OP, we always had a magazine basket in our bathrooms growing up full of magazines and books.  It was for both long baths and other stuff.  My bathroom is too small now for a basket on the floor but we do have a small basket in the window that holds books now.

Took me a few seconds, but I finally got it.  ;)  You need to get together with my nephew.  Silly.

Your explanation under your screen name is what stood out to me, ANN-us...  It's how I say it.

MandiC76

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 11:00:24 AM »
I always keep a puzzle book at minimum in the bathroom, and will occasionally take whatever I'm currently reading in with me. Part of it is that I grew up seeing puzzle books and other materials in the bathroom, and the other part is that I have digestive issues, and I never know when what I think is an "in-and-out" will turn into a 10-15 minute stay.

daen

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 11:27:14 AM »
I've always been relatively efficient - two minutes sounds about right. It surprised me that my husband always brought reading material (usually the laptop) in with him, until I realized that a) his system worked a lot slower than mine and b) that was his habit of years for private, get-away-from-people, decompress time.

Since a few digestive issues have cropped up for me in the last few years, there have been a few times when I've been stuck longer than expected. My husband is kind enough to bring me reading material (electronic or otherwise) when I need it, which helps to pass the time.

TamJamB

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2013, 11:38:27 AM »
I don't keep books in any of my bathrooms. On purpose, anyway.  I always carry my current book around with me anywa, so I just take it in there and then bring it back out.  Or I read/ playy with my phone.

There are usually books in the guest bathroom because my son uses that bath when he is here and he is a bathtub reader (as I am myself).  And he leaves them in there when he is finished with them.  I go in there once a week or so and carry a stack  out and put them away.

Betelnut

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »
I wish I had room in my bathroom for books!  My toilet is actually a very small room in my larger bathroom.

To make up for it, I carry in reading material or my sudoku puzzle book.

As Cicero said, "A room without a book is like a body without a soul."  I don't want a soulless OR bookless room in my house!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Tea Drinker

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2013, 12:52:49 PM »
We keep magazines in the bathroom, and in fact there are two magazines that go in there on arrival (one we subscribe to, and the college alumni magazine comes whether we pay for it or not). Any visitor who is worried about sanitation is free not to read them, of course.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2013, 02:52:46 PM »
To answer a question - yes, my system is a bit slower than normal in order to get out things.  We also have room for a small table in the bathroom and that's where books / the Kindle go.  When I get sick with the stomach bug, I take a folding table in with me and drag the laptop about with me because I don't know when I'm getting off.  I get good writing time in.  :)

Also, I'm like Minds Eye when it comes to the bathroom.  I never thought about putting the toilet lid down before flushing though.  I doubt I will, but it's an interesting thought.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Lynn2000

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2013, 03:14:25 PM »
My current bathroom is quite small, but even if it were larger I don't think I would store any reading matter in there. I do sometimes carry a book or magazine in, or leave one on top of the laundry hamper for the day. It's both a useful distraction and a chance to make a bit of progress on something I'm trying to read. I always remove them when I'm having guests, though, and I've never read what I've found in other people's bathrooms. I actually never thought about the germs issue specifically. For me, I don't really want people to see a magazine on my laundry hamper and think any further about what I specifically do in the bathroom.  :P
~Lynn2000

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2013, 03:39:59 PM »
I carry a book or magazine in.  Back when I had small children, it was often the only private five minutes I could have  ::) (the kids were always safe).   Now, if anyone knows how to keep cats from barging in for lovings...

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2013, 03:51:18 PM »
Yep.  Hence why "Uncle John's Bathroom Reader" was created.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2013, 03:59:46 PM »
I grew up hiding in the bathroom to read - sharing a bedroom with my sister, it was my only quiet space.

In my last house, we had a large stack of magazines in my half-bath - the main bathroom had a few as well.

In our current house, I don't leave books in there (mostly because there's not a place to put them) but I do always take my phone/nook/ipad/etc. in there with me. The room is clean, I'm a 'sit while I flush' sort of girl (thanks to my mom and sister, the germaphobes, we were told to stay seated while it flushes to keep the germs in), so if I left something in there, I wouldn't be concerned.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2013, 04:05:02 PM »
Yup.  I usually bring a book or magazine in with me.  If I'm not reading a new book at the time, I bring in old childhood and teen favorites.