Author Topic: Books in the bathroom.  (Read 7308 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: Books in the bathroom.
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2013, 04:31:31 PM »
Not only do we keep reading material in there, in the house my husband is building us we will be adding a special space for books.  Between the toilet and the bathtub will be a short wall. There will be narrow and deep shelves that pull out all together from the short wall.  (same arrangement is sometimes an add-on in kitchens cabinets.  We will keep books and toilet paper in there.  I get a little irrational when I run out of toilet paper.

I so rarely need a book, I just grab my current one from the bed.  Husband does his main reading in there.  I do like to leave a favorite non-fiction in there though. 

magicdomino

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2013, 05:01:34 PM »
While I have brought books into the bathroom, neither bathroom has room for book storage.  Plus, the moment I sit down, a cat magically appears to amuse me.  Domino is particularly welcome, as he is normally too paranoid to pet.  Smart boy has figured out that I'm pretty much helpless on the toilet.   :)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2013, 05:13:21 PM »

Oh, yeah, definitely. There are always a few Game Informers in there, and I think currently a Star Wars novel. I just donít leave the Playboys in there. Thatís just too Ö no.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
I suffered from constipation when I was younger and I was an avid reader.  With three bathrooms in the house, I felt no guilt taking a book in with me.  I still keep a book on the back of the toilet and will occasionally need to use it.  The book always gets put back down before hands are used for other things and then hands are thoroughly washed.  I've read about the mist when you flush the toilet but as someone else said, my toothbrush is in there and it hasn't made me sick yet so I'm just not going to worry about it too much.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2013, 06:04:31 PM »
My husband and his family have libraries in their bathrooms, DS always has a book in his.

ETA: None of us are germophobes, so that does not play into it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:15:30 PM by ladyknight1 »

Bluenomi

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2013, 06:42:50 PM »
Do people honestly sit on the loo for long enough to make picking up a book worthwhile?

Yes, honestly. Why would you doubt that?

No need for snark, it is an honest question.

I just can't imagine spending more than 2 minutes doing my business unless I was really unwell - which is why I asked.

I was not being snarky. My question was honest too, since many people in this thread have admitted reading in the bathroom, I was wondering why you were doubting their words.

You are fortunate that you spend so little time in the bathroom. Many others have, uh, slower systems or other digestive issues.

Or children they want to hide from  ;D Sometimes I just stay there a bit long for the peace and quite. Provided she distracted of course, otherwise she comes looking for me and bangs on the door. The cat likes to sit outside and mieow as well on occasion  ::)

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2013, 09:14:34 PM »
I am reading in the bathroom right now!  ;)

that_one_girl

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2013, 11:44:27 PM »
When I was a kid I would take a book into the bathroom at night just to read it, since my parents insisted I have "lights out" at a certain time.
Since growing up I don't have that problem.  I have also taken Intro to Microbiology and think it's kind of gross to read while you are using it.   I usually am not in the bathroom long enough to need entertainment.
My husband, on the other hand, does spend a lot of time in there with reading material.  I'm just glad that he has a tablet that I can wipe down with disinfectant.

MERUNCC13

• A proud member of the Niner Nation!
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2013, 11:53:50 PM »
We keep a library in both of our bathrooms.  I have some of my romance novels in the big bathroom, also have some magazines.  My husband keeps appropriate bathroom materials, usually the National Enquirer and Star...
Life likes to be taken by the hand and told, I'm with you, let's go! Maya Angelou

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2013, 06:44:39 AM »
I just remembered a funny story.  It's kind of embarrassing, but I was 7 and my brother was about 4 when the first Gameboy came out.  For a while our "punishment", for lack of a better word, was that only books or magazines could be brought into the bathroom.  Instead of 'doing what we had to do' we would be worried about getting to the next level of whatever we were playing, and we ended up tying up the bathroom.  This prompted a new and 'very unfair' rule: no Gameboy in the bathroom.  ;D  It was back to 'boring old books'.

CakeEater

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2013, 07:07:52 AM »
Gosh no. I'm not really that worried about germs generally, but books in the loo does gross me out a bit. Plus I'm always quick in and out. Plus, it's another thing to move to clean around. I'm super lazy.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2013, 07:37:05 AM »
When I was growing up there was a linen closet in the bathroom.  Any book I was working on was in there under the towels.  In our present house there is a cabinet that we keep the reading material in.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2013, 07:05:04 PM »
The bathroom is where I get to read my motorcycle magazines.  They do get turfed out regularly, it's a fortnightly publication.

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2013, 07:32:58 PM »
We typically have three books (mine), a magazine (husbands) and my toddler daughter climbing into the bathtub to color on the walls. One, the bathroom is a nice quiet break if our child doesn't come in. Two, just reading a bit from one of my favorite books is mentally stimulating. Three, I'm busy so it's delightful to just dip into a book for a few minutes when I can. Four, business can take a long time to conclude, so we enjoy having something available to read.

CakeEater

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »
I'm loving all the creative euphemisms employed in this thread.  ;D