Author Topic: Car dealer kerfluffle...did I go too far? Updates in #18, #38, #75, #77  (Read 12715 times)

MrTango

Re: Car dealer kerfluffle...did I go too far?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 10:51:38 AM »
I'll add my voice to the chorus: OP, you were fine.

I also do my research and know exactly what I want and what I'm willing to pay for it before I ever step foot in a dealership.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 01:19:51 PM »
I think you were fine. And I'm sorry about the deal falling through!

Last year DH and I bought our truck - we had to sift through so many slimy car dealers and dealerships it was amazing. Our biggest hassle was doing preliminary shopping online and then coming to find the advertised prices often were contingent on financing, while paid-in-full-with-cash prices being about 10-30% higher. We found dealers selling cars with open recalls on them (we were looking at used) - how ridiculous is that?  They could get the repairs done for free, its a recall for goodness sake, and yet they were just selling them as is - made us wonder what else they weren't bothering to maintain or fix up!

We definitely looked at reviews of the dealerships and appreciated the honest feedback. There are some decent sellers out there, and they deserve to get the business over the shady ones!

lmyrs

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 01:39:30 PM »
If the dealership honestly believes that they are engaging in fair and honest business practices, they should not have any concerns with any actions the OP takes to broadcast those business practices, including social media, standard media or skywriting. On the other hand, if they're embarassed by their conduct, they shouldn't have done it.

And suggesting that the OP not Facebook or Tweet the experience because it may not be relevant to all, or even most, of her friends and followers? Well, I challenge abyone to find someone who only posts things relevant to all of their friends. I guess if all your friends and followers are a homogeneous group - like only my family and I only post about my family, that could qualify but I so not suspect that is the norm.

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 01:54:07 PM »
OP here w/ update:

I've been on the phone w/ the head sales manager all morning. He ran the numbers w/ me and came back with only a $300 difference and I suggested they cover that in the name of good service. He agreed that that would be the honorable thing to do. Then he wanted to run the numbers one more time "just to be sure I figured it correctly", and said he'd call me back. An hour later he calls back and they found the mistake....their internal price sheets were wrong (again, not my problem). After having him take me through the numbers again, they are off by $1,171. And again I said that I still think that since this is totally their problem and since its happened twice now, I think they should deal with that loss and honor the original quote. Cue him saying he couldn't authorize that much and needed to go to the general manager. I said "Great, go ahead with that. I left him a message this morning too. If he needs would like to speak with me I'm happy to have that conversation".

And now I'm waiting again.

Amara

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 02:02:39 PM »
They're just playing with you, OP. Look at what they did. They said "only $300" more. You get excited. Not great, but do-able, especially because you tell them they can swallow that small amount. They suddenly the numbers need to be re-checked? And now it's an $1,100 difference? What a liar. The whole dealership is crooked and smarmy. You're wasting your time.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 02:06:59 PM »
I wonder if you could/should report them to the BBB.  You are obviously savvy and tough enough to catch on to what they are doing and to stand up to them. Other customers might be tricked, feel pressured, etc.

lowspark

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 02:15:16 PM »
Cue him saying he couldn't authorize that much and needed to go to the general manager.

And here's where I would have said, "OK, but I'd rather not hear back from you or anyone else at your dealership unless you're calling to tell me that you're going to honor the original agreed-upon price."

Really, I wouldn't listen to any more excuses, stories about what mistake they made, or how much of a difference it is from the quote. Unless it's LESS than what I was promised, I don't care if it's only $1 more. I'm moving on.

And yeah, I'd be going to another dealership asap.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 02:22:44 PM »
AS long as you gave factual and accurate information on social media I think you are OK.  It's when misinformation is posted that I see an issue. 

Everyone knows that social media is a hotbed of gossip and other information - if people don't want their business dealings out there they shouldn't misrepresent themselves.

This deal smacks of the baloney you constantly hear about.  See the movie Fargo for a perfect example of upsell malarkey. 

My last used car purchase (which is all I ever buy), I took in a cashier's check for the amount of money I planned to spend (knowing I would have to come up with a little more) and negotiated down to that point and then paid TTL to get out the door.  Cashier's checks seem to make them believe that you are serious and to get on to closing the deal and getting you out the door. 

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 02:27:42 PM »
They're just playing with you, OP. Look at what they did. They said "only $300" more. You get excited. Not great, but do-able, especially because you tell them they can swallow that small amount. They suddenly the numbers need to be re-checked? And now it's an $1,100 difference? What a liar. The whole dealership is crooked and smarmy. You're wasting your time.

I agree.  Time to move on to a different dealership, OP.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 02:38:35 PM »
I wonder if you could/should report them to the BBB.  You are obviously savvy and tough enough to catch on to what they are doing and to stand up to them. Other customers might be tricked, feel pressured, etc.

I bet the local news channels would love a car dealer to do an expose on, too!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »
I definitely think it's time to just walk away and find another dealership; this one is determined to hose you.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 02:44:25 PM »
OP here w/ update:

I've been on the phone w/ the head sales manager all morning. He ran the numbers w/ me and came back with only a $300 difference and I suggested they cover that in the name of good service. He agreed that that would be the honorable thing to do. Then he wanted to run the numbers one more time "just to be sure I figured it correctly", and said he'd call me back. An hour later he calls back and they found the mistake....their internal price sheets were wrong (again, not my problem). After having him take me through the numbers again, they are off by $1,171. And again I said that I still think that since this is totally their problem and since its happened twice now, I think they should deal with that loss and honor the original quote. Cue him saying he couldn't authorize that much and needed to go to the general manager. I said "Great, go ahead with that. I left him a message this morning too. If he needs would like to speak with me I'm happy to have that conversation".

And now I'm waiting again.

How many mistakes are they going to have? I mean if they can't get their math right, after how long and how many re-tries, can you trust they get their cars right?  You might find your vehicle is missing the spare tire, or owners manual or gas cap - after all they have proved to be a pretty air-headed group at this point!

To be honest, no matter what number they come back with, if it were me, I would no longer trust them.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 02:44:41 PM »
Yea, at this point I wouldn't buy a soda from them without a significant discount.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

DavidH

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 02:56:32 PM »
The dealership is clearly being slimy, but if you don't mind playing the game, there is a better than average chance you'll get what they originally agreed to.  If the color is rare in the middle of the model year it means one of two things.  One is that the whole world wanted that color and they sell all they can get.  The other is that they think it won't sell in your market and thus don't order it.  If it's the latter, they will be more willing to deal since they are now stuck with this car and it's better to sell for less profit than have it live on their lot.  Since dealerships finance cars, you may need to wait 30-days or 60-days until they have to either pay interest on it or sell it. 

As an aside, the programs and hold backs on cars change frequently, so they may actually have made a mistake about what the car cost them.  Even so, it doesn't make that your problem. 

doodlemor

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 03:04:30 PM »

This deal smacks of the baloney you constantly hear about.  See the movie Fargo for a perfect example of upsell malarkey.

This made me think of Fargo, too.  I was going to suggest that you ask them how the hockey game is going.

OP, these guys are still playing you, and they are disgusting.  I don't think that you should buy from them at all, because that is just rewarding this old-time-horse-trading chicanery.  How would you ever trust the service department there to be honest in caring for your car?

I pod those who think that you have become emotionally invested in this particular car.  I think that you should go to some other dealers ASAP, and see what else is out there. 

And if you see Jerry Lundegaard, go elsewhere, especially if he is pushing a tan Sierra.