Author Topic: Car dealer kerfluffle...did I go too far? Updates in #18, #38, #75, #77  (Read 12428 times)

GSNW

Re: Car dealer kerfluffle...did I go too far? Updates in #18, #38
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »
OP was in no way impolite or out of line.  The dealership wasted her time and energy, refused to make it right, and then the GM was inexcusably rude.  This is why review sites exist.  I realize not all reviews are accurate, but ill use trip advisor as an example - I AWAYS read the bad reviews, and judge based on how the management responds.  Using this test, car dealership fails completely.

That email correspondence could be local news gold, and I would see if your local station is interested.  It IS in the public's interest to share.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2013, 07:47:35 PM »
This happened to a friend of mine.  She had two brands of cars in mind.  One of them was at a dealership a friend of hers worked at.  She didn't use her friend as the salesperson (I don't think it was allowed).  The salesman she did have wrote out the deal and gave it to her and she agreed to it.  Later that day, he called her at home.  Turns out he made a mistake and needed another $2000.  Rather than fight about it, she just cancelled the deal and went with the other brand of car she was looking at.  Apparently, her friend was hassled, basically calling my friend a flake for backing out of the deal.  He left that dealership soon after.

If someone called me a flake for backing out of a deal that was off by $2000, I could live with being a flake.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

IMissItaly

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2013, 07:55:26 PM »
OP, have you checked to see if your banking institution has a "New Car Buyer" program? I bank with a credit union, but friends have told me that certain of their insurance companies also offer this service.

The way this works is that the credit union/bank/insurance companies work with certain auto dealers in the local area to ensure that their members get the best possible price on a car.

Along with this, the dealer will do all of the legwork to find the car. All you have to do is have the specs that you want, down to the color/engine size/interior, on hand when you speak with the agency. It's up to the dealer, according to their agreement with the banking institution, to find you the make and model that you want.

I've purchased my last two vehicles this way and it was marvelous.

I applied for my loan through the credit union, told them I wanted to use the NCB program, and later that evening a dealer called me. I told him what I was looking for and he said that he'd just received a new pricing guide from the credit union and would look to see what I would be paying for the car. He was very surprised and said "Oh, you'll be paying the same price we paid for the car". He could not, according to his agreement with my credit union, charge me any more than what was listed on that price sheet.

That was a Friday night. By the following Monday he'd located the make/model/color/interior that I was looking for and arranged to have it delivered to his dealership that week. I picked it up that week. They also gave me a decent price on my trade-in (which needed a new engine!).

I can't advocate for this type of program strongly enough! I knew what I wanted and got it, for cost, without having to haggle or deal with a car dealership I felt was out to rip me off.

Check to see if either your banking institution or insurance company has a program like this.

Best of luck with your purchase!

Cami

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2013, 08:36:35 PM »
A few years ago, we were in the market for a new car. We had decided on the make and model. We were all set to buy from Dealership A when we saw a full page newspaper ad for Dealership B that stated in letters 3" high, "We Will BEAT any written offer." So my dh went into Dealership B with a written offer, honestly expecting them to beat it by maybe a dollar. No great expectations. He went in and talked to a salesperson who looked at the offer, walked off to the coffeeclutch of salespeople who all proceed to break out into loud laughter.  My dh is standing there, wondering, "What the heck?" He finally has to walk over to them and say, "Excuse me?" They proceed to stand there and mock him and say that he's a fool if he thinks they are going to beat that offer. My dh points out that they have an ad in the paper saying that they will (and there was no asterick or fine print) and demands to speak to the GM. The GM comes out and tells my dh to leave the lot and to stop wasting their time.  My dh actually filed a complaint with the state AG office for fraudulent advertising and they told him he was one of many with the same complaint against that dealership.

As it happens, a year or two later, my dd was in speech class with the son of that GM. One of their assignments was to give a speech on some secret knowledge you have. The kid got up and gave a speech about all the ways his father's dealership screws people over. It was enlightening. (I can't believe the father would have wanted the kid to do that, but he did it.)
Did DD take notes? I'd like to hear about that, and I bet the AG would, too!
Yes, actually she did! She remembered the story and the minute the kid started to speak, she realized he was telling some good secrets.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2013, 09:04:39 PM »
OP, have you checked to see if your banking institution has a "New Car Buyer" program? I bank with a credit union, but friends have told me that certain of their insurance companies also offer this service.

The way this works is that the credit union/bank/insurance companies work with certain auto dealers in the local area to ensure that their members get the best possible price on a car.

Along with this, the dealer will do all of the legwork to find the car. All you have to do is have the specs that you want, down to the color/engine size/interior, on hand when you speak with the agency. It's up to the dealer, according to their agreement with the banking institution, to find you the make and model that you want.

I applied for my loan through the credit union, told them I wanted to use the NCB program, and later that evening a dealer called me. I told him what I was looking for and he said that he'd just received a new pricing guide from the credit union and would look to see what I would be paying for the car. He was very surprised and said "Oh, you'll be paying the same price we paid for the car". He could not, according to his agreement with my credit union, charge me any more than what was listed on that price sheet.

That was a Friday night. By the following Monday he'd located the make/model/color/interior that I was looking for and arranged to have it delivered to his dealership that week. I picked it up that week. They also gave me a decent price on my trade-in (which needed a new engine!).

I can't advocate for this type of program strongly enough! I knew what I wanted and got it, for cost, without having to haggle or deal with a car dealership I felt was out to rip me off.

Check to see if either your banking institution or insurance company has a program like this.

You may have just saved what is left of my sanity after trying to work with dealerships over the last few months.

We've been thinking of leaving our "traditional" bank and going to a Credit Union for awhile.  If we can find one locally that offers this program - the deal will be done!

Thank you!
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Peregrine

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2013, 09:12:03 PM »
For those in the US, Costco offers a similar program as the bank/insurance company one.  I don't know if it works on used cars though.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2013, 09:16:27 PM »
OP I think you were fine. I find this extremely hard to swallow - that there was an "internal mistake" and the GM "refuses to wear the cost".

And even if it was a genuine mistake, that absolutely doesn't excuse the GM's rudeness over the phone. 

Arrynne

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2013, 09:19:33 PM »
We bought our last three cars using Costco's special pricing. You get fleet pricing, which is usually either a few percent or a few hundred above or below dealer invoice...plus you get to see the invoice. Dealer or manufacturer incentives usually still apply. You still have to (get to) haggle on protection plans and after market add-ons. It's specific to new cars.

Minmom3

Re: Car dealer kerfluffle...did I go too far?
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2013, 09:38:05 PM »
I think that you've been fair in your dealings with them.  You didn't misrepresent what they did anywhere.  Review sites are fair game.  I have no patience for reviewers who slam businesses online for non-legitimate complaints, like the jerks who reported me to the BBB for enforcing the contract that they signed, or a friend who was dogpiled on yelp and FB because the hipsters thought that his business should provide free parking for nearby restaurants.

Heh.  There's a lumber hard I pass on my way out of town that originally put up a chain at each side of their parking lot, to keep out bar patrons from the bar next door.  Apparently, that chain wasn't doing the job, because I drove by a week ago and there's a Large White Steel Pipe gate at each end of the parking lot, with big old printed signs that say "BarNextDoor patrons are not allowed to park here".  Mind you, the lumber yard closes at 6 at the latest (summer hours) and the bar is open until whenever the legal closing time is here in California (2 a.m.?), but the lumber yard does not want bar patrons parking on in front of the store.  They don't even block off the whole lot, they do leave nearly half of it available to the bar patrons, but what they block, they DO block thoroughly.  No place of business has to allow parking for other businesses in a privately owned lot...
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Promise

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2013, 09:52:39 PM »
I think they should have eaten the loss since they quoted it to you and you had it in writing. However, you said that you had another quote from another dealer. Why not just go to them now to purchase? Mistakes happen. Since no money changed hands and no contracts were signed, I guess they had the ability to back out of the agreement. it's unfortunate.

IMissItaly

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2013, 10:13:02 PM »
I can't remember how to quote, but for Scuba_Dog:
"You may have just saved what is left of my sanity after trying to work with dealerships over the last few months.

We've been thinking of leaving our "traditional" bank and going to a Credit Union for awhile.  If we can find one locally that offers this program - the deal will be done!

Thank you!"

You're very welcome. As I said, I swear by this program. My credit union is one of the top rated credit unions in the country and I don't hesitate to point people to them if they're qualified to join.

magician5

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2013, 10:28:18 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken, you don't have to leave your current bank (if you like it) in order to open a minimum-balance Credit Union account and borrow from the Credit Union.

And, to cut down any dealer's ability to confuse the deal by juggling trade-in values and financing rates, never finance with the dealer (Credit Union rates are much more straightforward) and shop your current vehicle around to simply sell it for the best price you can get. Than internet-shop for the exact vehicle you want, and buy it from the dealer that offers the best price.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2013, 12:42:33 AM »

We bought our Ford Escape last year via the USAA buying program. We got a huge discount. Costco also has one but we had far better luck with USAA. 

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2013, 12:59:51 AM »
I think they should have eaten the loss since they quoted it to you and you had it in writing. However, you said that you had another quote from another dealer. Why not just go to them now to purchase? Mistakes happen. Since no money changed hands and no contracts were signed, I guess they had the ability to back out of the agreement. it's unfortunate.

That's what we're planning to do now. The other dealer is 3 hours away, but we can combine it with a visit to see our brand new niece :) I confirmed the quote with this dealer again this afternoon and can only hope everything goes smoothly this time.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2013, 01:03:09 AM »
I second, third, or fourth the suggestion to open an account with a credit union