Author Topic: Car dealer kerfluffle...did I go too far? Updates in #18, #38, #75, #77  (Read 12954 times)

Please pass the Calgon

Re: Car dealer kerfluffle...did I go too far? Updates in #18, #38, #75
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2013, 09:57:30 PM »
OP again:

I came home from work to find the following message on my Facebook account...

Honda: We're terribly sorry for the treatment you've received from this dealership. We'd be glad to document this matter in full and make the dealer aware of the complaint we've received. If you'd like us to do so, please give our Customer Service department a call so a bit more information could be gathered. 800-XXX-XXXX between Mon - Fri, 6 AM - 5 PM PST.
3 hours ago · Like

And so I called them. Explained the whole situation, offered to forward all my emails, and received validation from them that what happened way not how they want to hear about the dealers behaving. Unfortunately since the dealerships are independently owned, they can't force the dealers to do anything, but it sounds like those who get too many complaints lodged start to lose out on incentives they can offer to customers or premium choice of vehicles to sell. The man who helped me said that I probably wouldn't hear anything back but that it was all documented and he'd forwarded it to his boss as well.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Car dealer kerfluffle...did I go too far? Updates in #18, #38
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2013, 10:02:47 PM »
That is good.  I am sure they are unhappy to heat about what happened - for a lot of people that would end their relationship with Honda.

Please pass the Calgon

Re: Car dealer kerfluffle...did I go too far? Updates in #18, #38, #75
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2013, 12:04:48 AM »
Thanks to some of your advice, I followed up w/ our credit union and Costco to see what their programs offer. I have info out to 2 other dealerships via those programs, and we're going to visit the one 3 hours away on Sunday. I really like the sound of no haggle - fair pricing at this point.

lovepickles

Re: Car dealer kerfluffle...did I go too far? Updates in #18, #38, #75, #77
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2013, 02:23:47 AM »
Oh my dear you MUST haggle. It is not rude. Do not let this dealer get you down. I went to over 8 different dealerships before I bought my ideal car. Get them down to the lowest possible number then say you'll think about it and walk in with that number to the dealership the next town over. If they say no then say you'll just go back to the other guy because he was such a nice fella and he worked really hard for the sale.  When calling another dealer NEVER ask a dealer if they have x color in stock if you want it. Ask for y and then see if they mention having x. Appear to be flexible even when you are not. Expect to spend 4 hours AFTER you agree on a price and reject any other sort of fees they like to add in. Be willing to walk away after sitting there for 3 hours. That is how the game is played. Also walk in with your own financing and don't fall for the after business hours financing and they'll fix it on Monday scam. Major banks give pre-approval letters and if they are a dealership like Honda they must honor them. Also find out the TRUE cost of the car to the dealership. I used a GREAT worksheet when i bought my Toyota a few years ago: http://www.carbuyingtips.com/download.htm the buyers offer was right on. Dealers wouldn't go below.

My major statement here is do not be afraid to say "no thanks" to unreasonable offers. Some dealers will turn you down. The true trick is to find a dealer with duplicate cars and often that is in a kind of remote area. I knew when i rolled up and saw the dealer had 3 cars in x color that he was more likely to make a deal. Also if it has features you don't want you don't have to pay for them ... ask them to take them OUT and not charge you for them. God knows I can't stand car alarms so I had them rip that out.

Best of luck dear! Buying a car can be empowering. Don't let those nasty dealers get you down.

xoxox

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2013, 01:40:20 PM »
Thanks for the worksheet- I'm thinking about buying a car in the near future myself.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

miranova

« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2013, 01:58:14 PM »
Oh my dear you MUST haggle. It is not rude. Do not let this dealer get you down. I went to over 8 different dealerships before I bought my ideal car. Get them down to the lowest possible number then say you'll think about it and walk in with that number to the dealership the next town over. If they say no then say you'll just go back to the other guy because he was such a nice fella and he worked really hard for the sale.  When calling another dealer NEVER ask a dealer if they have x color in stock if you want it. Ask for y and then see if they mention having x. Appear to be flexible even when you are not. Expect to spend 4 hours AFTER you agree on a price and reject any other sort of fees they like to add in. Be willing to walk away after sitting there for 3 hours. That is how the game is played. Also walk in with your own financing and don't fall for the after business hours financing and they'll fix it on Monday scam. Major banks give pre-approval letters and if they are a dealership like Honda they must honor them. Also find out the TRUE cost of the car to the dealership. I used a GREAT worksheet when i bought my Toyota a few years ago: http://www.carbuyingtips.com/download.htm the buyers offer was right on. Dealers wouldn't go below.

My major statement here is do not be afraid to say "no thanks" to unreasonable offers. Some dealers will turn you down. The true trick is to find a dealer with duplicate cars and often that is in a kind of remote area. I knew when i rolled up and saw the dealer had 3 cars in x color that he was more likely to make a deal. Also if it has features you don't want you don't have to pay for them ... ask them to take them OUT and not charge you for them. God knows I can't stand car alarms so I had them rip that out.

Best of luck dear! Buying a car can be empowering. Don't let those nasty dealers get you down.

xoxox

I know that some people truly enjoy the haggling game etc and I'm not saying it doesn't work but I just refuse to participate in that.  I HATE IT.  I will not spend my time doing something I hate in order to give someone a LARGE amount of money.  If a dealership doesn't want my money unless I'm willing to play the game, they just won't get my money.  I have managed to buy multiple cars in my lifetime without haggling.  I know what I want, I do research ahead of time, I know what I am willing to pay and what I'm not.  I won't go back and forth with games.  The smart salesmen out there can tell who has this attitude and who doesn't like "the game" and will adjust accordingly.  The less intelligent ones just lose a sale when they fail to realize what type of customer they are dealing with and won't adjust their techniques.  I have bought several cars that involved no haggling or games whatsoever, because I just leave when that stuff starts.  I am honest about what I want and whether or not I'm serious about buying that day, and if they can't give me what I want, no problem, have a nice day and thanks anyway. 

After the bad experience with the car dealer that pulled the bait and switch, I had a different car within 2 days at a different dealership and it was more car for the same amount of money.  I walked in, signed the papers that were ready for me, handed over the cashier's check, got my keys and drove away.  You really don't HAVE to haggle.  It's not necessary, it's just one of many strategies.  If you manage to find an intelligent dealership that can see that you are serious as a heart attack when you say what you want to pay and not a dollar more, you will find that those dealerships will cut straight to the chase and tell you their best offer immediately.  It's refreshing when you find one. 

ettiquit

« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2013, 09:17:20 PM »
I have a somewhat similar story, though it happened after the car was purchased, papers signed, and the car was brought home.  The dealer called because the bank didn't give us the interest rate we had agreed to.  The difference amounted to something like $420 total - so, $7 more a month.  I said "no", and since I knew we'd have to sign new papers for this to happen, I told them I'd just drop the car off the next morning and that they could keep it.  They were astonished, and to be fair, I don't think they were scamming me.  But when I decide on a monthly payment, I never budge..not even a dollar.  They found another way to make up the difference and we kept the car at the same price.

MrTango

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2013, 12:07:31 PM »
I have a somewhat similar story, though it happened after the car was purchased, papers signed, and the car was brought home.  The dealer called because the bank didn't give us the interest rate we had agreed to.  The difference amounted to something like $420 total - so, $7 more a month.  I said "no", and since I knew we'd have to sign new papers for this to happen, I told them I'd just drop the car off the next morning and that they could keep it.  They were astonished, and to be fair, I don't think they were scamming me.  But when I decide on a monthly payment, I never budge..not even a dollar.  They found another way to make up the difference and we kept the car at the same price.

My response would have been that it's their problem.  They signed the papers agreeing to a given monthly payment and interest rate, and it's not my concern that they didn't confirm it with their bank before the transaction was finalized.

lovepickles

« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2013, 03:33:30 PM »
Miranova I totally agree with your approach. I actually call THAT haggling by not accepting a price. When I "haggle" I name a reasonable price and deny any add-ons and circular logic that confuses the buyer. My version of haggling involves lowering an offer given to me and walking away if it doesn't suit me. It is sad that I actually refer to it as haggling, now that I think of it. But in this day and age if you don't accept a price given to you by a seller it is viewed as haggling. Perhaps referring to it as a counter-offer is more respectable. Unfortunately dealerships use the negative description of a respectable counter-offer by referring to it as haggling-- most likely to discourage the buyer from presenting a reasonable offer.

My apologies for the use of the term "haggling" it is decidedly inaccurate. 

miranova

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2013, 06:00:27 PM »
Miranova I totally agree with your approach. I actually call THAT haggling by not accepting a price. When I "haggle" I name a reasonable price and deny any add-ons and circular logic that confuses the buyer. My version of haggling involves lowering an offer given to me and walking away if it doesn't suit me. It is sad that I actually refer to it as haggling, now that I think of it. But in this day and age if you don't accept a price given to you by a seller it is viewed as haggling. Perhaps referring to it as a counter-offer is more respectable. Unfortunately dealerships use the negative description of a respectable counter-offer by referring to it as haggling-- most likely to discourage the buyer from presenting a reasonable offer.

My apologies for the use of the term "haggling" it is decidedly inaccurate.

Oh, no apology necessary! 

I see what you mean.  What I picture as haggling is what my ex does that makes me cringe.  He NEVER stops pushing.  He pushes and pushes and pushes and pushes the salesmen for hours and when they finally agree to something, he adds another condition. I used to HATE being in the same room with him when he did it.  I know he got some good deals, but I also know that when we left everyone was like "what a jerk".  He had no instinct for how off-putting he was to other people.

Me and Dh on the other hand, well the deal is either on or off in about 5 minutes.  Which is the way we like it. I don't know if over time we pay a lot more but if it's only a little more, it's worth it to me.  I've done my research so I know I'm not getting totally scammed, and I don't have to spend hours doing something I hate. 

Sounds like you and I are in agreement!