General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Phone Conference Etiquette

(1/4) > >>

MamaMootz:
I'm currently attending a training via a website and conference call where the organizers have repeatedly asked participants to mute their phones.

There is a participant that obviously has a cold and is coughing, sneezing, and hacking every 2 seconds. Obviously, Hacky has not muted her phone.

I know the organizers don't want to call Hacky out specifically (huge throat clearing just now), but would it be rude for me as a participant to say, Hey Hacky, I can't hear the presenters over you when you cough and sneeze and clear your throat. Can you please hit *6 to mute your phone?

MrTango:
If I knew who it was, I'd send them an email/IM asking them to please mute their phone as we can all hear them hacking.

If I was the person "hosting" the conference call, I'd either call them out address them directly (by name), or if it was within my technical abilities, boot them from the call.

Auntie Mame:
At one of my jobs I had to take minutes for a weekly conference call.   We just call out a general "Could someone mute their phone please, we are hearing a lot of noise".

My favorite was my coworker and I barely containing our silent laughter when we started hearing meowing in the background. 

Moray:

--- Quote from: Auntie Mame on March 14, 2013, 02:41:10 PM ---At one of my jobs I had to take minutes for a weekly conference call.   We just call out a general "Could someone mute their phone please, we are hearing a lot of noise".

My favorite was my coworker and I barely containing our silent laughter when we started hearing meowing in the background.

--- End quote ---

This is our preferred method, too. It eliminates embarrassment, and if they don't do it, I just shoot a quick "Hi, sounds like you forgot to mute your line. It's option 6!" email or IM.

I see no value in essentially saying "Hey, you're gross!" when a simple request to mute the line will do.

LazyDaisy:
I wonder if Hacky knows they mean her office phone that she/he is connected on and not her cell phone. Maybe it's because announcements have become so necessary in live performances, classrooms, theaters, etc. but "turn off or mute your phone" has become associated with eliminating the disruption of ringing phones. If someone made a general announcement on a conference call to please mute all phones, I wouldn't automatically assume they meant the speaker on the phone I'm connected with.

An email or IM would be a good idea but maybe be specific about the speaker, not the ringer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version