Author Topic: Phone Conference Etiquette  (Read 2585 times)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
Re: Phone Conference Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »
OP again - the problem, I think, with not calling Hacky out directly is because organizers kept stating "mute your phones" every time she coughed and hacked. But she still didn't mute her line, which leads me to believe that she possibly thought she had already and didn't realize we could all hear every sniffle, sneeze, cough, and AHEM AHEM AHEM.

Or she was just so rude she didn't care.

I know I sound like I want a pass to be rude, but in this case, would it really be rude to call her out directly? Being indirect didn't work, and I ended up missing a lot of what the trainer was talking about because of it. And so did the other attendees who called in yesterday.

"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 11:42:01 AM »
OP again - the problem, I think, with not calling Hacky out directly is because organizers kept stating "mute your phones" every time she coughed and hacked. But she still didn't mute her line, which leads me to believe that she possibly thought she had already and didn't realize we could all hear every sniffle, sneeze, cough, and AHEM AHEM AHEM.

Or she was just so rude she didn't care.

I know I sound like I want a pass to be rude, but in this case, would it really be rude to call her out directly? Being indirect didn't work, and I ended up missing a lot of what the trainer was talking about because of it. And so did the other attendees who called in yesterday.

No.  This is a business meeting and you have someone that is disturbing the meeting.  Had this meeting been in person, I don't think anyone would think that it was innappropriate to ask whoever is making to much noise to stop so that others could hear what is being said (or in Hacky's case, to excuse herself).  Business etiquette, IMO, does not mean that we have to pretend that others aren't being unprofessional.  Hacky may not have realized that her phone wasn't already on mute, so saying 'excuse me, I'm having a hard time hearing what's being said.  Hacky, can you please mute your phone?' is not inappropriate.  And really, the organizers needed to do this, but considering their lack of control, I think it's ok for you to do so.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 11:36:41 AM »
Absolutely speak up. Even if the chair says "everybody go on mute," if someone doesn't then you have the right and responsibility to say "someone is still not on mute -- we're getting a lot of noise and I'm having a hard time following the discussion." You might also want to go to the chairs privately and emphasize how unproductive things are because of the noise.  I had a colleague who used a headset and kept the microphone too close to his mouth -- we could hear every breath he took. Urgh.

On the somewhat funny side, I work from home and do a lot of conference calling. Because of some changes I can no longer use a headset, so I use the speaker phone (which I hate, but that's a different story.) One of my cats likes to go up and down the stairs carrying a sock and singing to it, loudly. I've had to explain the background noise on several occasions. And yes, I keep things on mute as much as I can.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Minmom3

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 02:07:32 PM »
"Oh, don't mind the noise, that's the Singing Sock Cat"...  ;D   (cue snickers in back ground)
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 03:16:54 PM »
I was on a conference call once and I think one of the participants must have phoned in on his cell and then taken it outside to go for a smoke.  On a windy day.  And if it was who I think it was, he is a larger man that breathes loudly at the best of times.

I swear, it sounded like we had Darth Vadar on the line.  One of the organizers of the call asked the person who seemed to be outside to mute their phone.  He ended up hanging up because we got the automated '...Has left the call.'  Fortunately, he hadn't said his name when he signed on so he wasn't called out by name.

So yes, I do think you could ask one of the organizers to identify the person, 'Could the person who had the bad cold or allergies please mute their phone?  It's *6 to do so, if you don't have a mute button.'
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario