Author Topic: Roller Coaster Lovers!  (Read 2738 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: Roller Coaster Lovers!
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2013, 10:08:35 PM »
My favorite amusement part is Cedar Point, and I have never met a rollercoaster I didn't like.  :)

My favorite coasters are the Maverick, the Millennium Force, and the Mean Streak - all at Cedar Point.
I usually hold my arms up when going down hills.
I have never said "no way" to a coaster.

I was just there Thursday :), and I agree with every word of this post (with the addition of GateKeeper and Blue Streak)

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2013, 10:18:17 PM »
I wouldn't consider myself a coaster lover, but I can certainly be talked into at least tolerating them!

I've only ridden one coaster in my entire life and that's the Mind Eraser at Six Flags/Elitch Gardens in Denver. I was so sure I was going to hate it, but my friend who I went to the park with insisted I HAD to try it, because clearly it was a travesty that I was fourteen and had never ridden a coaster. ::) I actually ended up having fun, except for nearly losing my glasses. (My head kept banging into the side of the seat - not hard - from the sheer force of the coaster. Only a very, very lucky grab with my teeth saved the glasses...)

I don't think I'd enjoy a wooden one too much, though, if only for the fact I'd come off it VERY sore.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2013, 10:20:48 PM »
I used to love roller coasters but as I've gotten older I really can't handle them anymore, throws off my balance. Which is such a bummer as my boys are turning out to be roller coaster fanatics at 4 years old. We go to a little kid's amusement park near us & I took my boys on the Balloon Race ride. Got off that sucker & nearly threw up!

But when I could ride them the only one I really didn't like was the Mantis at Cedar Point where you had to stand up to ride. I was just over the height limit, part of the ride I was practically on my tiptoes. I got off that thing walking bowlegged, it hurt so much.

Can't wait to take the boys to the Six Flags near us & a long weekend at Cedar Point, went there a lot when I was younger. For now they'll have to be content with going to the local carnivals & hoping there's a coaster there ;D

If anyone wants to know, Santa's Village Azoosment Park in East Dundee, IL is a great place to get small kids introduced to theme park rides. All the rides designed for little ones & there's a good mix of rides from a mini roller coaster to a Ferris wheel.

Lynnv

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2013, 11:10:18 AM »
I actually ended up having fun, except for nearly losing my glasses. (My head kept banging into the side of the seat - not hard - from the sheer force of the coaster. Only a very, very lucky grab with my teeth saved the glasses...)

When I worked at Elitches (the old park), we used to spend a lot of time "walking the coaster yard" looking for glasses and assorted other things that people lost during the ride.  You could usually, if you were willing to walk the yard (and only more senior employees got to do this), pick up enough change to buy your lunch if you were willing to spend most of your 1st break out there. 

There are some rides (and coasters are one of them) that just seem to pull stuff out of people's pockets.  The worst/best one was the Tilt A Whirl.  We used to call that one a change machine.  When I was a regular ride operator (before I was a breaker/trainer and before I was a supervisor), I seldom came home from a shift working that thing with less than $10 in loose change that people lost during the ride.  :>

Moral of the story-check your pockets a lot when you are riding rides at a fair/amusement park.  Otherwise you may end up buying lunch for the teenager running the ride without meaning to do so.  :>
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

redsfan

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2013, 11:26:14 AM »
The joke in our family is "We are coaster folk. Chain grease runs in our veins"  :)

Current family favorites are:

Kings Island (home park): Diamondback, Flight Deck, Racer, Adventure Express, Beast, Reptar/Snoopy's Flying Aces, Beastie/whatever they're calling it now, Flight of Fear (but only I like it), Invertigo (but only DH and I like it)

Coasters we don't especially like, mostly because they use restraints that bash your head:
Kings Island - Vortex, Firehawk
Parc Asterix - Gouderix

Have also been to and ridden coasters in lots of other parks, but I don't have access to my ride credits/stats list right now.

I had the same problem, but if you don't hold on to the restraints it's not as bad.  I still love the Vortex.  The Beast is still best.  I never rode Son of Beast because they were so insistent on that stupid wood loop that they ignored the best coaster builders and went with someone who could promise the loop.  When it blew over during construction, I knew I'd never ride it. 

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2013, 11:16:07 PM »
We love coasters! We are heading to Hershey Park in a few days.  My 10 year old wants to ride a few coasters but I don't want anything too rough.  Suggestions?  If it helps, he loves Rock N Roller Coaster at Disney Hollywood Studios and Big Thunder Railroad in Magic Kingdom.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2013, 09:11:35 AM »
We only got to go on one coaster at Hershey yesterday, "SkyRush", as the line was long.  My oldest wanted to go (he's 12) but once the harness was pulled over his head he panicked and was let off the ride.  That's one where the first hill takes you up vertically than drops you vertically.  Quite rough so I don't recommend it!

"Wild Mouse" is fairly tame, I believe, and there's Comet, a wooden roller coaster. I wanted to go on that one before we left but as it had started to storm, everything got shut down.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Stormtreader

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 12:03:48 PM »
Another UK person here! Alton Towers is my top UK coaster park, and favourite ride is Air - its almost not worth queueing if you DONT queue for the little extra bit at the end that means youre in the front row. It really feels like youre flying, I may have a photo of me and my then-boyfriend both doing superman arms :D

I also quite like Rita Queen of Speed just for the acceleration kick-off :)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 02:44:25 PM »
Does anyone remember these trucks with rides. that would go around neighborhoods? Each truck had one ride, like a little merry go round and all the neighborhood kids would ride them. ( lived in long island and then queens in the 1960s)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Mikayla

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »

If anyone wants to know, Santa's Village Azoosment Park in East Dundee, IL is a great place to get small kids introduced to theme park rides. All the rides designed for little ones & there's a good mix of rides from a mini roller coaster to a Ferris wheel.
Oh yeah!  This was one of the highlights of my childhood and an annual visit.  It was Santa's Village when I went, but it was magical.

Anyway, my only other comment is how does everyone remember the names of these rides?  The only one I ever remembered was Rebel Yell at King's Dominion.  And there's a reason for that that has nothing to do with the ride :)

Seriously, I've never met a roller coaster ride I didn't like, but I just don't focus on the names.   And in college, we were at King's Island every other weekend, it seems.

shadowfox79

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2013, 05:01:39 AM »
Another UK person here! Alton Towers is my top UK coaster park, and favourite ride is Air - its almost not worth queueing if you DONT queue for the little extra bit at the end that means youre in the front row. It really feels like youre flying, I may have a photo of me and my then-boyfriend both doing superman arms :D

I also quite like Rita Queen of Speed just for the acceleration kick-off :)

I agree. Taking DH on Rita was one of the funniest experiences of my life. And also a great demonstration of the Doppeler effect.

"Is that all it is? A fast coaster?" (queue, get on, sit down, blast off) "F-ing heeeeeeeeeelllllllllll...."

o_gal

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2013, 07:48:34 AM »
Anyway, my only other comment is how does everyone remember the names of these rides?  The only one I ever remembered was Rebel Yell at King's Dominion.  And there's a reason for that that has nothing to do with the ride :)

The parks make it harder because they'll use the same names as other parks. That's their right to do that, but then you end up with this (from the roller coaster database at rcdb.com):

Blue Streak at Cedar Point (still operating)
Blue Streak at California's Great America (still operating)
Blue Streak at Conneaut Lake Park (still operating)
Blue Streak at Meyer's Lake Park
Blue Streak at Riverview Park (listed twice with different dates)
Blue Streak at Willow Mill Park
Blue Streak at Woodcliff Pleasure Park
Blue Streak at Chester Park
Blue Streak at Robison Park
Blue Streak at Indianola Park
Blue Streak Racer at Pacific Park
Blue Streak Racer at Wonderland
Giant Blue Streak Coaster at New Rexford Park

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2013, 01:17:12 PM »
Well, you have to admit that Blue Streak is an awesome name for a roller coaster. 

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2013, 06:15:42 PM »
We were just at King's Island in Cincinnati on Monday.  My husband didn't even attempt a roller coaster until he was 40 years old.  40!  I, on the other hand, grew up an hour away from Cedar Point.  Roller Coasters are in my soul.

However, like many of you, I cannot handle every single coaster anymore.  For instance, I felt painfully jerked around on the Vortex.  The second time we rode it, I noticed that the overhead restraint left about four inches free above my shoulders, letting me bounce around during the entire ride.  My husband had no such issues.

I think my favorite has to be the Raptor at Cedar Point.  I love the feeling of dangling underneath the tracks.  Plus, it was the first coaster my husband would try.