Author Topic: Camp NaNoWriMo 2013!  (Read 1749 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: Camp NaNoWriMo 2013!
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 12:23:57 AM »
I'm already in a cabin but i will be posting in this thread to see how everyone is doing... also: Just a warning, even if you request people you want you might not get them.

grrr, if I get place in a cabin with other people, I'll just ignore the whole thing completely and will just post here.

They won't place you in a cabin if you choose the do not want a cabin option. its just for like the lists and stuff to get in a cabin you might not get people on your lists, or instead of getting the same age group like you wanted you might get a bunch of 13 year olds. I think you are actually a-ok if you have the "do not want to be in a cabin" thing checked. If it does put you in a cabin you can always opt out.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 02:00:05 AM »
I'm already in a cabin but i will be posting in this thread to see how everyone is doing... also: Just a warning, even if you request people you want you might not get them.

grrr, if I get place in a cabin with other people, I'll just ignore the whole thing completely and will just post here.

They won't place you in a cabin if you choose the do not want a cabin option. its just for like the lists and stuff to get in a cabin you might not get people on your lists, or instead of getting the same age group like you wanted you might get a bunch of 13 year olds. I think you are actually a-ok if you have the "do not want to be in a cabin" thing checked. If it does put you in a cabin you can always opt out.

It's either/or.  You can choose to not be in a cabin (which is what I had selected) or you can click on the third option and input the usernames of people you want to be in a cabin with. I didn't select any of the other options like genre or age.  I just said I wanted to be in a cabin with certain people.

What would be nice is the possibility of creating your own private cabins

katiescarlett

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »
I want to do this, too!  I am Katiescarlett on there as well.  I am going to sign up for July right now.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 12:42:11 PM »
I want to do this now, too!  Do you have to sign up in a special way for this, or can you just enter your word count on your page?

PastryGoddess

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 02:51:42 PM »
yay!  More people

There is no special way to sign up.  Your Camp Nano sign in works for the main Nano site as well. 

I got put in to a cabin with a bunch of random people, so I opted out.  I'm working on my timeline now and hope to have it done by Sunday at the latest.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 02:59:18 PM »
NaNo in like... 2 and a half days... *flails* Oh and I am also doing flash fiction month... I think I am insane. Ehellions your opinions?

PastryGoddess

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 04:56:46 PM »
NaNo in like... 2 and a half days... *flails* Oh and I am also doing flash fiction month... I think I am insane. Ehellions your opinions?

You are insane :)  *ducks*

I'm actually pretty lucky in that I'm not doing a whole new story but am fleshing out and reworking my NaNovel from last year.  I had a bit of a breakdown when I read my work and realized I needed to trash about 90% of it.  I did a session with the Plot Doctor Martha Alderson and that was extraordinarily helpful.  I actually feel ready to write this time.  My timeline is giving me fits and starts though.  I've been working on it for about a week now and cannot get it right.

katiescarlett

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 05:18:23 PM »
I put the name of the novel I have been half-heartedly working on (I take the GRE in 2 weeks and have been busy studying), so I need to think up a whole new plot by Monday!  I will have a busy weekend.  If I can't, I will work on the one I have already started.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2013, 05:44:29 PM »
I joined today and haven't decided about the cabin thing, but I'm confused on what to do now.  They said you  have to have a story before you decide about a cabin? 
I wonder if they will let you do a series of essays instead of a novel.  I think you can do less than 50,000 words.  Does anyone know of a page that explains it all?
Thanks for any help.
Bijou (aka fillyloobird)
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

katiescarlett

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »
Ooh, I'm Mirabil. I'll put you in the requesty bit on the cabin settings page. Hee!
We are cabin-mates!

Pen^2

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2013, 06:14:56 PM »
I joined today and haven't decided about the cabin thing, but I'm confused on what to do now.  They said you  have to have a story before you decide about a cabin? 
I wonder if they will let you do a series of essays instead of a novel.  I think you can do less than 50,000 words.  Does anyone know of a page that explains it all?
Thanks for any help.
Bijou (aka fillyloobird)

I'm far from an expert, so take this with a grain of salt. But you don't need to put in a word-count goal at all, or you can just put whatever feels good, and not worry if you overshoot it. E.g. putting 10 000, or something. The same goes for genre: just go with the "your choice" option, which I think is pretty much "none of the above".

They don't check the content of what you write, so I don't see why a series of essays or short stories wouldn't count. I've bought novels that are collections of such things, anyway, so it's certainly a normal thing to do. If I were you, I'd put the word count at something pretty low, choose the "your choice" genre, and come up with whatever title for your collection of essays you like. I'm pretty sure you can change it later.

The NaNoWriMo forum has most of the info you'll need, but it's a bit hard to track all the stuff down: http://nanowrimo.org/en/forum_categories/517

Ooh, I'm Mirabil. I'll put you in the requesty bit on the cabin settings page. Hee!
We are cabin-mates!

Woo hoo!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 06:43:31 PM »
Thanks for any help.
Bijou (aka fillyloobird)

I'm far from an expert, so take this with a grain of salt. But you don't need to put in a word-count goal at all, or you can just put whatever feels good, and not worry if you overshoot it. E.g. putting 10 000, or something. The same goes for genre: just go with the "your choice" option, which I think is pretty much "none of the above".

They don't check the content of what you write, so I don't see why a series of essays or short stories wouldn't count. I've bought novels that are collections of such things, anyway, so it's certainly a normal thing to do. If I were you, I'd put the word count at something pretty low, choose the "your choice" genre, and come up with whatever title for your collection of essays you like. I'm pretty sure you can change it later.

The NaNoWriMo forum has most of the info you'll need, but it's a bit hard to track all the stuff down: http://nanowrimo.org/en/forum_categories/517

We are cabin-mates!

Woo hoo!
Thank you.  That helps a lot.  Maybe I can do this after all.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Pen^2

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 02:04:31 AM »
OK, I just wrote an 8000 word story as warm-up for tomorrow.

I can do this!

Good luck everyone!

PastryGoddess

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2013, 12:54:48 PM »
I'm still working on my timeline..but it's coming together quite nicely.  I have hope for July

Nikko-chan

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
1789 for day one, and FFM story day one down. YAY! *flops into bed*