Author Topic: Camp NaNoWriMo 2013!  (Read 1823 times)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
Camp NaNoWriMo 2013!
« on: March 14, 2013, 03:37:56 PM »
So Camp NaNoWriMo is starting up again, and I was wondering if any Ehellions would like to do this as well.

For the people who don't  know what this is, you write a novel, normally defined as 50,000 words on the WriMo site. However, Camp NaNo is making it easier this time around to write a novel. You can set a goal as small as 10,000 words or as large as 999,999 words. Also, there's an option to have a cabin of similar writers. I would be willing to get an Ehell cabin together for a July writing session. I would do April as well, but seeing as I'm graduating in May, I need to focus more on school then.

Please post if you're interested in doing this with me!

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Nikko-chan

Re: Camp NaNoWriMo 2013!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 11:26:10 PM »
I am doing this, and I am having so much trouble getting into a cabin. I got put into one, and no one talked, so I opted out, and got into another one with a friend of mine. We both checked the Age Range box. Friend is 21 and I am 24... we were in a cabin with 14 year olds! Not so bad but it kinda changes the tone of the room, KWIM? Hopefully third times the charm!

katiescarlett

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 11:55:06 PM »
I would.  I am in a cabin already for April, but may opt out as I am in school as well, and extremely busy.  And as an English major, I am constantly writing papers already, and they consume a lot of my time (plus with a full time job!)  I definitely want to do it in July, though.  We need our own cabin!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 07:47:42 PM »
Second cabin... 13, 15, and a 16 year old... even though my profile says I am 24 and should be placing me with other 20ish year olds

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »
Anyone still doing Camp Nano in July? this year.  I'm gearing up for the start on Monday.  I chose not to join a cabin so I'll be on my own. 

eta.  I just noticed that you can request specific cabin mates.  The next assignments will happen in about 13 hours
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:16:01 PM by PastryGoddess »

Pen^2

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 06:50:15 PM »
I'm still on the fence about whether to start in July (e.g. next week) or wait until November. I was going to do it last year but chickened out at the last minute. I really lack confidence  :P

daen

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 07:56:24 PM »
I'm still on the fence about whether to start in July (e.g. next week) or wait until November. I was going to do it last year but chickened out at the last minute. I really lack confidence  :P

My advice would be to start in July.

If you only write a hundred words, a) you've written a hundred words more than you would have if you hadn't tried, and b) it will tell you something about what you need (or don't need) to write.
Maybe you need more planning.
Maybe you need less planning.
Maybe you need a writing buddy who can give you a pep talk once in a while.
Maybe you need a writing buddy who seriously annoys you so you have to write more than s/he does. 
Maybe it's discovering that you can't write in your house.

A "failed" attempt gives you another piece of what works and doesn't work for you to write. So it's not a win or lose situation, it's a win or win bigger situation.  8)

Pen^2

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 08:23:11 PM »
Rightio then, I'll give it a whirl. We'll see what happens.

I like how ludicrously optimistic you are, Daen :)

Anyone want to be in a cabin with me? I'll pass my user name to anyone who requests it.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 08:36:15 PM »
I'd be interested in a private cabin, not one automagically sorted.  My username is Courtney T

Pen^2

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 09:10:27 PM »
Ooh, I'm Mirabil. I'll put you in the requesty bit on the cabin settings page. Hee!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:15:00 PM by Pen^2 »

PastryGoddess

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 09:25:01 PM »
Ooh, I'm Mirabil. I'll put you in the requesty bit on the cabin settings page. Hee!

Ok sounds good.  For those of you seeing this later, the next cabin assignments will be Friday night.

Pen^2

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »

Ok sounds good.  For those of you seeing this later, the next cabin assignments will be Friday night.

I'll smuggle pizza and piles kittens into our cabin in the meantime.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 11:04:05 PM »
I'm already in a cabin but i will be posting in this thread to see how everyone is doing... also: Just a warning, even if you request people you want you might not get them.

Foureyesonemouth

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 11:30:58 PM »

My advice would be to start in July.

If you only write a hundred words, a) you've written a hundred words more than you would have if you hadn't tried, and b) it will tell you something about what you need (or don't need) to write.
Maybe you need more planning.
Maybe you need less planning.
Maybe you need a writing buddy who can give you a pep talk once in a while.
Maybe you need a writing buddy who seriously annoys you so you have to write more than s/he does. 
Maybe it's discovering that you can't write in your house.

A "failed" attempt gives you another piece of what works and doesn't work for you to write. So it's not a win or lose situation, it's a win or win bigger situation.  8)

That was inspiring. I'm in as FourEyeOneMouth and I'd like to be in a cabin if possible.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 12:16:56 AM »
I'm already in a cabin but i will be posting in this thread to see how everyone is doing... also: Just a warning, even if you request people you want you might not get them.

grrr, if I get place in a cabin with other people, I'll just ignore the whole thing completely and will just post here.