Author Topic: Having things I don't like for guests?  (Read 3659 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Having things I don't like for guests?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2013, 03:23:15 PM »
We are big coffee drinkers, so we have it on hand. When we weren't we kept the Folgers coffee singles handy for those that wanted coffee. We always have milk and sugar.

miranova

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »
I think enough people drink coffee that it is a good idea to have some on hand for overnight guests.  Drop in guests or dinner guests, not necessary.

This thread reminds me that I need to remember to bring some packs of instant coffee on our 2 week vacation this summer.  Staying with various family and I have no idea who has a coffee maker and who doesn't.  If I don't have some caffeine early in the morning, I will have a headache all day.  Yes, I know, this is an unhealthy addiction, yada yada, but I'm not going to choose the exact moment I'm staying with guests to quit drinking coffee cold turkey.  And for me, if I wait half the day and grab some the next time I'm out about about, it is not the same and only sometimes stops the headache. 

Snowy Owl

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »
For unexpected or occasional drop-in visitors, you have what you have. You no more need to keep coffee on hand than you need to keep diet cream soda, just in case that is someone's preferred beverage. You do not need to offer someone what they prefer when they visit you. Otherwise you would need to keep on hand three different types of coffee, three kinds of milk, and two low-calorie sweeteners along with sugar, just in case. "Coffee" isn't a single substance, any more than "soda" is.

If someone is staying with you overnight, it is considerate to have on hand something you know they like, if possible.

I'd agree with this.  I also think it depends who it is.  I don't drink beer because I can't stand the taste.  I do keep it in for my father because I know he likes it and I like him to be happy because he's my father and I love him to bits.  It gives me pleasure to be able to give him his favourite beer when he comes to visit.  I wouldn't be so careful to please everyone but in his case I make an exception.   
And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.

Friedrich Nietzsche

DavidH

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2013, 06:31:23 PM »
For a normal visit, coffee isn't necessary, although it is common after dinner beverage in many places.

For an overnight guest in the US, so many people drink coffee in the morning and count on the caffeine, that I'd either have some type available or let them know ahead of time that you don't so they can plan ahead. 

If you're morally opposed to it or the smell makes you ill, that's an entirely different issue.

Waterlight

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2013, 08:11:55 PM »
Since there is no such thing as a drop-in guest on my homeworld  ;D , anyone invited to visit me in my tiny apartment is probably close enough friend or family to me that I have a pretty good idea what they'd prefer anyway.  Though I don't usually keep soda around, I will buy it if I know a guest is a Diet Coke drinker, for example.

If we're ordering takeout (e.g. pizza), and one of the guests eats meat, I have no problem with their ordering a pizza with meat--but I will ask the omnivores to take the leftovers home, since I won't be eating them.

The only thing I will ABSOLUTELY NOT keep in my home for a guest is alcohol--I can't have it for medical and personal reasons, and it would be too tempting if I kept it around.

“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
Love coffee. HATE tea. However, I keep a box of assorted teas in my pantry for guests.  It takes up virtually no space, and I like to be able to provide for my guests.  I'd suggest that you keep some, along with a French press or chemex drip to make it. Both the press and the drip use less space than a coffee maker (and no electricity). I don't consider myself a coffee snob, but instant coffee is really beyond the pale. YMMV.

I'm a coffee lover, too. Instant coffee is very last resort, like during a zombie invasion! The last time I had instant coffee was after my power was knocked out by Hurricane Sandy.

nayberry

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2013, 02:38:11 PM »
i like tea and coffee,  and always have a variety of both (yes i'm in Caffeine addicts anonymous)  but a friend of mine doesn't drink tea, ever.  and yet as i visit fairly regularly (honourary auntie duties!)  she keeps a pack of tea bags in for me :) 
and she knows i adore her for it!

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2013, 10:37:41 PM »

For a parallel example...

I'm a coffee drinker, and I really like my morning cup.  But I'm not a breakfast eater, and I don't drink diet drinks ever, and rarely buy juice.

If someone stops by, I won't have diet pop for them - if they want something sugar free, it's going to be water or possibly some iced barley tea, if they stop by in the summer. If I'm having people over for dinner and I know they're a juice or diet pop drinker, I'll pick some up. If I'm having a party I'll provide a variety of drinks, including something sugar free.

If I'm having overnight guests, I'll go out and buy some breakfast foods - some bread for toast and a box of cereal, for example, so they can have breakfast even if I don't, and I'll stock stuff like diet pop or juice if I know that's what they like.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2013, 09:23:29 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm a non-coffee drinker but sometimes have overnight guests who are. I buy a bag of decent coffee, preground, that I leave in the freezer and have a French press in my cabinet. The French press doesn't take up nearly as much space as a real coffeemaker.

Is it the best cup of coffee ever? Probably not. But for my coffee addicted guests, it's better than nothing or instant.

bloo

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
For what it's worth, I'm a non-coffee drinker but sometimes have overnight guests who are. I buy a bag of decent coffee, preground, that I leave in the freezer and have a French press in my cabinet. The French press doesn't take up nearly as much space as a real coffeemaker.

Is it the best cup of coffee ever? Probably not. But for my coffee addicted guests, it's better than nothing or instant.

French press and 'decent' coffee? Almost the best cup ever!  ;D That is so generous if you're not a coffee drinker!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2013, 09:35:41 PM »
I neeeeeed my morning coffee, and many of my friends and family don't drink it. Those that don't, I actually prefer they don't try and "make" me some since quite honestly, I'm kind of picky about how I like it, the brand, etc. and would much prefer to just go out and get my own, if they can direct me to the nearest place.  I'd rather have none, and get my own later, than have to drink it not the way I prefer. But is usually close friends and family, so they're fine with that.  I've also brought my own coffee and stuff as I can make it if they can provide boiling water.

I stayed with a relative this weekend, and she is a coffee drinker. So we had our coffee every morning, which was lovely. My other relative, who I also saw, is not, but she literally lives within walking distance of a Starbucks, so I just trot on over whenever I stay with her.  Even my mom doesn't use the brand I like (Starbucks) so while I';ll drink the coffee she makes, and she is as big of an addict as I am, i will sometimes pop by Starbucks when I'm out and about, as hers isn't strong enough for me.

So while I think its nice to have it, even for overnight guests, I don't think you're obligated, but as long as there are options, such as a local DD, Starbucks or other coffee places, I think you're fine.