General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Duplicating work (a bit long) Update #10

<< < (2/4) > >>

Onyx_TKD:

--- Quote from: Katana_Geldar on March 16, 2013, 09:31:43 PM ---The usual procedure is this:

1) Student is added to the school database.
2) Student comes into library to get their ID done and they enter our details into our database, to be approved by us.
3) The student is checked against the school database. They are then assigned a number by us for library purposes.
4) The library then records the students borrowers number on the school database.

Except, it's not working. Admin are either not entering students in to the school database or they aren't coming up when they come in. We aren't sure why.

So, we assign the number for our system and wait for it to come up on the database.

But, my boss has started assigning numbers to new students that are coming up on the library database not knowing that some of them have already been in to see us and have been given a number.

Basically, it's a break in the chain that never happened before: students have not been appearing on the student database.

Also, I'm fairly junior down the line and it's not my place to raise issues with anyone but her. She's just as pissed of about it as I am.

--- End quote ---

So numbers are usually assigned after the students physically come into the library to be added to the library database? And your boss is assigning numbers when they show up in the database when she thinks they haven't even come in yet? So she isn't even following the normal procedures?

If she is your boss, then it is your place to ask what procedures you are supposed to follow when the school database isn't up to date and how you should document changes from the normal procedure so other employees will know what has been done. Documenting it properly is especially important since you're not working every day. If she won't follow her own procedures, then there's nothing you can do. But asking her to spell out how she wants to you to adapt the procedures to handle the database issues will at least make sure that everyone is on the same page. If you can get the instructions in writing, e.g., an email, so you can refer to them later, then when conflicts come up, you'll at least be able to show that you were following your instructions.

GreenHall:
I keep getting distracted by the students coming thru of rnumbers again.  I don't know how long the process is for assigning a number, but I would like to believe that a college student would remember. "Oh I got a library number in my morning class, so don't need to get one in my afternoon class".  Is there a way to make an announcement when a batch show up along the lines of "if you have already worked with the library/gotten a library number, you do not need to do this again"?

Katana_Geldar:
Students have no idea this is going on, all they know us to pick up their cards today. They cone in once,not twice. My boss is the one giving them the number after I did.

Last term she started entering students in who didn't come to see us into the system. I'm not sure why, possibly something to with the e-learning.

And, since she again broke procedure and we didn't type up their ID cards, I wonder what in earth is going to happen today when the studebts expect their cards.

Lynn2000:
So, it sounds to me like your boss is the one not following procedure, and thus making more work for others. I think I would send Boss an email asking for clarification, and copy anyone else who would be affected as well--like the other person who does your same job the other days of the week.

Something like, "Boss, these database problems have got me really confused. I've been doing XYZ, but I see an increasing number of duplicate entries in the system, which will take a long time for Betty and I to correct. [without mentioning Boss is the one causing those] Is there something else I should be doing, other than XYZ, to prevent this issue?"

Boss might thus realized she has caused the duplicate entries by interfering with the XYZ steps; or, if totally clueless, at least she will be perplexed as to why your perfectly appropriate XYZ steps are "causing" this problem and might ask you to investigate, so at some point you could say, "Oh, it looks like someone was doing ABC at the same time I was doing XYZ." At which point Boss should remember she was the one doing ABC. And stop doing it.

Or, if Boss thinks you should not be doing XYZ at this time, this is her opportunity to clarify that in writing to both you and Betty. If Boss is more the type to tell you something verbally, you can always send her a follow-up email saying, "Just to clarify, today we discussed that I should do ABC instead of XYZ until further notice, correct?"

I'm imagining that since you work side by side with Boss, and you felt comfortable correcting her verbally and also leaving her a note explaining that she'd done something wrong, it would be perfectly appropriate for you to send her an email on the same subject. But with the email you could copy other affected people, too, so everyone is on the same page; get Boss's response in writing for future reference; and have documentation to pass along to others should things continue to be messed up.

Katana_Geldar:
I'll see how we go tomorrow when I'm there. I did get a call yesterday asking about student cards and if I had done them. I told her I hadn't because she had told me nit to and never said any different.

I suppose I should ha asked her, but we were both stressed from the week and my new medication was making me have strabge ,old swings, so it was all I could do to keep my mind on task.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version