Author Topic: Baptism Etiquette  (Read 4241 times)

cattlekid

Re: Baptism Etiquette
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 04:41:07 PM »
We have been asked to be godparents for the first time this spring.  DH's family of origin is Orthodox Christian and they do full immersion of infants.  So tradition dictates that we provide:

1.  christening gown
2.  candle for church
3.  towel for drying off baby after immersion
4.  gold cross necklace

But this is from a culture where christenings are mini-weddings, complete with luncheons and live music afterwards.  I had to break it to my FIL that he is probably not going to be invited to the christening (the parents want it to be VERY small) and he looked like he was about to cry in disappointment.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Baptism Etiquette
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 05:19:24 PM »
I have a friend that's Greek Orthodox and when her sister's great nieces were baptized it was a small affair but it's also a small church and a small family. Plus the girls were older (older than 5, less than 10) so I don't know if that made a difference.

I'm trying to figure out a good present for my son's godmother.  I'm thinking a photo frame, and I could tuck in a picture of her and Piratebabe at the baptism into the frame.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata