Author Topic: Jewish funeral and pregnancy  (Read 4806 times)

gellchom

Re: Jewish funeral and pregnancy
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 06:47:51 PM »
Thank you for the clarification, strangetimes, and I absolutely apologize for offending you.  As I said, I had never heard of the custom, so I was just reacting to the post that says it is about "bad luck."  I assume you would agree that that would, by definition, be a superstition.

I am curious; what is the reason for or origin of the custom, if you know?  And I hasten to add, even if you don't, that certainly doesn't mean it isn't a real custom.  I happen to be performing in "Fiddler on the Roof" right now, and as I am sure you are aware, one of the first lines in the show is Tevye saying, regarding men's keeping their heads covered, "You may ask, 'How did this tradition get started?'  I'll tell you: ... I don't know.  But it's a tradition!"   :)

Also, in your community, would it be okay for a non-Jewish female guest to wear an otherwise appropriate pants outfit to a funeral?  I'm not sure what type of community you are in.  I know that here, even at Chabad, where all the women wear long skirts and sleeves and wigs, non-Chabad women (including me) wear pants and even jeans to events like parties or speakers and nobody bats an eyelash.

kglory

Re: Jewish funeral and pregnancy
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 04:10:33 AM »
I think you are fine to wear the black pants.  In addition to what the others have stated, there is also the fact that in Judaism, burial is as soon as possible after the death, so there really is not time to go shopping for a funeral outfit, especially for those who are grieving.  And it would be understood that a heavily pregnant woman might not have a black skirt that fits on no notice.   

The others are right that different branches of Judaism are different -- my family is Conservative and Reform, and this is what my relatives would think.  The fact that you cared enough to come would be the most important thing.