Author Topic: Neighborhood noise in the morning?  (Read 3245 times)

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: Neighborhood noise in the morning?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 10:58:12 AM »
I agree with others...find out the noise ordinance for your community.  If they are within the time frames in the law, then you have to put up with it. If they aren't, then talk to the workers.

laceandbits

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 11:27:02 AM »
"I'd be really angry to be blasted awake like that at 7:30 AM on a weekend. On a weekend, I think 10 AM is reasonable, or I'd possibly accept 9, grudgingly, but before 9 is really, really inconsiderate. It's aggravating enough on a weekday (not everyone works a 9 to 5 job and gets up at 7 every morning) but I'm willing to accept that that's the way things are during the week. On the weekend I expect to be allowed to sleep in a bit."

But on the other hand, if it was your roof and not starting until 10 meant you had to have the builders there for another day, and the risk of a heavy snow fall on an unfinished roof, wouldn't you want them to get going as soon as possible. 

A thing like this is a one-off event, not continuous every-single-day noise, so shouldn't we all be understanding of the situation and cope with being woken a little early for a few days.  Just get up and enjoy the extra time, or put on some music and roll over and go back to sleep.  Quite honestly I can't see that there's a lot of difference in feel between waking at 7.30 and 8 so for half an hour's sleep it's a bit petty, and of course you could always go to bed a little earlier if that 30 minutes is so important to your wellbeing.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:29:04 AM by laceandbits »

CluelessBride

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 11:32:57 AM »
Strictly speaking personally, for me the earliest on a weekend is 9. I'd prefer it to be even later but whatever. On weekdays I guess my earliest could be 8. I'd still be annoyed at hearing such noise at those hours, but I'm better at accepting it at that time than an hour earlier.

Doesn't mean it's rude of them of course as I assume etiquette here would just follow whatever the legal hour is in that neighborhood.
But I would personally consider someone a really poor neighbor if they made noise before those hours unless it's an emergency.

The problem with the bolded is that everyone is on a different schedule. There is absolutely no time you are guaranteed to bother no one. Which is why most cities establish a time that appeals to most and designate quiet hours. I wouldn't consider someone a poor neighbor just for following city ordinance guidelines on noise levels. Any more than I'd consider someone a poor neighbor for mowing at 3pm when it wakes me up because I was up working all night. I do think it could be okay to politely inquire if it were possible that they do their noisy yardwork at a different hour as long as it was done in such a way that it was clear it was okay for them to decline.

As a reference, the ordinance in my city says 7am to 9pm on weekdays and Saturdays but 9am to 9pm on Sundays. So I think 7:30 is fine (and I say that as a late sleeper/night owl).

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 12:15:24 PM »

I feel your pain. I used to get off work at 4am, and the business next door had people putting a roof on one of their outbuildings, hammering away and blasting fire & brimstone religious radio at 6am right by my window. At least roof building is temporary, and not something they will be in the habit of dong every morning forever and always. I second looking at your area's noise ordinances. I think in most areas 7am is the earliest stuff like that can start.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 12:20:18 PM »
7:30 seems very reasonable. I'd check your local noise regulations, but you probably just have to accept it as something that may be annoying, but that is neither rude, nor illegal.
Utah

Fleur

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 01:49:53 PM »

7.30 on a weekday? Annoying but probably not rude. On a weekend? No way, no how and I'd be surpised if it was legal. I'd look into it and if it isn't legal, speak to the neighours. I value my weekends and I'd be livid.

Jones

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 02:02:01 PM »
City ordinance says no construction work without a noise permit between 10 PM, to 7 AM, in my area; no difference between weekdays and weekends.

MindsEye

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 02:48:05 PM »
Where I live the "quiet hours" are from 10pm-7am on weeknights and from 11pm-8am on weekends. 

There are also decibel levels mentioned in the ordinance... above a given decibel level, you must comply with the quiet hours.  Below that decibel the quiet hours don't apply.

Cosmasia

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 03:16:11 PM »
Strictly speaking personally, for me the earliest on a weekend is 9. I'd prefer it to be even later but whatever. On weekdays I guess my earliest could be 8. I'd still be annoyed at hearing such noise at those hours, but I'm better at accepting it at that time than an hour earlier.

Doesn't mean it's rude of them of course as I assume etiquette here would just follow whatever the legal hour is in that neighborhood.
But I would personally consider someone a really poor neighbor if they made noise before those hours unless it's an emergency.

The problem with the bolded is that everyone is on a different schedule. There is absolutely no time you are guaranteed to bother no one. Which is why most cities establish a time that appeals to most and designate quiet hours. I wouldn't consider someone a poor neighbor just for following city ordinance guidelines on noise levels. Any more than I'd consider someone a poor neighbor for mowing at 3pm when it wakes me up because I was up working all night. I do think it could be okay to politely inquire if it were possible that they do their noisy yardwork at a different hour as long as it was done in such a way that it was clear it was okay for them to decline.

As a reference, the ordinance in my city says 7am to 9pm on weekdays and Saturdays but 9am to 9pm on Sundays. So I think 7:30 is fine (and I say that as a late sleeper/night owl).

Of course everyone has different schedules. That's why someone who makes noise that early is a poor neighbor for me - it's not a commentary on them as a person. I just mean that they aren't the type of neighbor I appreciate living next to.
Da hun kom tilbage, havde hun hundrede ting at fortælle.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 03:29:34 PM »
I definitely think you have every right to be annoyed. However, I'd assume that this is a matter of some urgency, as this type of construction would usually occur during the summer months. Check the noise ordinances in your area, but be understanding. So long as the construction workers are putting in a full day (rather than starting at an ungodly hour so they're done by three in the afternoon), I wouldn't take any action.

If it does seem that they take off early in the afternoon, I don't think it would be out of line for you to ask your neighbors to see if they can start later in the day or save the noisier jobs (those involving a table saw or air compressor, for instance) for when most people are up and about.

Try to have some sympathy, though. Having a giant leak in your roof is bad anytime, but it would be particularly troublesome during snow storms.

In my area, the typical work day for construction workers is 7 am to 3 pm. They tend to arrive at the work site at 7, get ready for the day and then the noise starts around 7:30. Road crews, roofing crews, general house construction, office buildings--it's all 7-3.

I have no idea why this is, but it isn't a case of the workers trying to end their day early. It's just the way the system works.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 03:35:29 PM »
For me, I think whether or not the repairs/construction/whatever was an emergency would make a difference.  If someone's roof is leaking, I would certainly understand them wanting it fixed as soon as humanly possible.  That new deck project?  I think that can wait until a reasonable hour on the weekends.  To me, reasonable on a weekend would be after 9 or 10 a.m.