Author Topic: Cheap laptop recommendations, please. (Chromebook?)  (Read 1229 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: Cheap laptop recommendations, please. (Chromebook?)
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 09:42:43 AM »
FWIW I have an inexpensive Acer netbook that I absolutely love. I've had it for more than 2 years now and it's great. I would definitely buy Acer products again in the future.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Bright

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 01:56:06 PM »
If the lack of clicking is the only problem I was also going to also suggest trying a new mouse or a trackball. It would be a lot cheaper than buying a new computer. Or try assigning one of the keyboard keys to act as a mouseclick. I'm not sure how you'd do that on a Mac, on a PC it's pretty easy though.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 02:05:12 PM »
Please forgive me in advance, because I suspect I am about to ask the "stupidest" question of the day, but there's absolutely no doubt that the problem is in the computer itself and not in the mouse itself?  (I'll bet it's not the mouse itself, or you would have just replaced the mouse, but when I read the OP I couldn't help wondering if it was a broken mouse button.)

But then we have PCs, not Macs, so maybe that's why I didn't understand!  (My wife has a six year old Acer laptop and I have a four year old Acer laptop.  They've worked pretty well for us so far.)

Absolutely not the stupidest question of the day! ;D

It's probably the easiest solution. She doesn't have an external mouse. It's the click-button on her keypad.

In fact, that epiphany came to me after I posted. I called her and suggested that she find someone (maybe the computer lab) who has a USB mouse that she could plug in just to see if that "fixes" the problem. I'm betting it will. A $5.00 mouse is a whole lot cheaper than a new computer.

She called the Apple store and they told her that she could set up an appointment and bring it in, but they don't do repairs on that model any more. They won't even open it up. So what's the point of bringing it in? ::)

Of course, this being St. Patrick's Day weekend, pretending to be Irish for the day is more important than silly computer problems ::) She probably won't worry about it until she has class Monday morning. I'll let you know what she finds out.

In the meantime -- nrb80, and anybody else, feel free to threadjack. I'm still learning and anybody's input is greatly appreciated because sooner or later I will have to get her a new computer.

Oh, and yes. In the beginning of her college career MS Word was a requirement for e-mailing her papers. I don't know if this has changed.

Thanks, all!

Thanks, Bright. You posted while I was typing. It's possible to reassign the click button? That's a great thought. I'll do some research.

Bright

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 02:22:54 PM »
It is with the PC. I have my number pad set so when numlock is off it acts like a mouse.

I'm not sure how it would work with a Mac although a quick yahoo search suggests you might need to download a small programme to do it it is possible to assign a hotkey to act as a mouseclick.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 02:59:07 PM »
DD#1's very old (all of 5 years ::)) MacBook has a problem where she can't "click" on anything. The mouse moves, but the clicker seems to be broken. Since her computer is considered "antiquated" (a term used by the Mac store when we tried to get DD#2's computer fixed) it's highly doubtful that they will fix this problem at a reasonable rate, if at all.

Sadly, I simply cannot afford (nor can she) the luxury of a new MacBook.

So, I'm in the market for a Windows laptop, which I know nothing about.

What about this:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/features.html

The Acer is even cheaper.

A question about the Chromebook: One of the features is "100 GB of Google Drive free for 2 years" Does anybody know what this means?

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions? Anything to completely stay away from?

(DD#1's computer usage is mainly for fun I meant schooling -- taking notes, writing papers, internet research, etc. She doesn't have any high-end programs except for the Word package.)
I don't know what you consider cheaper but my Acer was not at all in that category, and it's just a plain old computer with Windows 7.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.