Author Topic: Last Birthday Bucket List  (Read 15119 times)

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
Re: Last Birthday Bucket List
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2013, 03:21:44 PM »
On a serious note. Patti is worried about Lola going to see her / setting up camp in the Palliative hospice home once it gets to that point.  We are working on a plan for when that happens, so we can be proactive.

Working with the staff at the hospice and informing them of this "friends" tendencies would probably be the best course of action.

Remind your friend that she can restrict who comes to see her. All she needs to do is give the hospice/palliative staff the information. She doesn't even have to wait until she's at that point. It's much easier to bar someone from entering than it is to kick them out after the fact.
Utah

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2013, 09:32:18 AM »
Everything I have heard about hospice staff tells me they are amazing, compassionate and take no nonsense. They would be able to control visitors in a fashion that meets with the patients wishes and interest.

I am glad that you had a wonderful birthday party with your friend and the antics of the strange woman were just background noise.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2013, 03:21:26 PM »
I'm so sorry you and your friend(s) had to deal with Lola being such a PITA when it should have been about Patty having a great last birthday.  I had been hoping for a happier update, but such is the way of life...

I've heard some really great things about Hospice and I'm sure that if Patty requests it that Lola can be banned from seeing her.  It sounds like it's for the best unfortunately.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2013, 05:35:52 AM »
Curious - why has this been made a sticky-post?

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2013, 03:36:08 PM »
I can only assume that, as mentioned in the first post, there is something mentally wrong with Lola, because carrying on with "I CAN'T WALK - SOMEONE HELP ME!" in front of someone who is seriously ill goes above boorishness.

I would have hospice given strong warnings to keep her out, and call security/police if she doesn't leave immediately.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Calistoga

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2013, 10:59:08 AM »
Does Patty have a legally appointed person who can say that under no circumstances is Lola to be allowed on premises?

I ask because my great aunt was put in to a hospice about a year ago. She was a a very well known member of the community and constantly had little old ladies coming to visit...but because they didn't wash their hands enough, she kept getting sick from the visits. They also kept coming when she was asleep and waking her up, and my aunt was old and ill, so this was terrible for her. My mother was appointed as her...well, not sure the legal term, but essentially she was in change of managing affairs along with my aunts nurse, and she ended up working with the hospice to do away with visits unless my aunt requested to see someone.

It may be enough just to have Patty tell the staff that Lola is kookoobananas and she doesn't want here there. If not, talk to her about appointing someone to handle that kind of stuff.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2013, 04:36:18 PM »
Calistoga, that sounds like a good plan. It may be that Lola deals with the stress and fear of a friend dying by reverting to childishness and attention-seeking. However, none of that helps Patti, and Lola's needs shouldn't take priority over hers.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."