Author Topic: No sample for you!  (Read 1842 times)

MOM21SON

No sample for you!
« on: March 15, 2013, 08:44:29 PM »
What do you all think of this policy?

Today DS and I went to warehouse store.  The sampling was heavy.  I got a sample of awesome fried shrimp.  DS didn't want one.  He must have seen the shining in my eyes and decided he wanted one.    The lady told him that his parent had to get it for him.  So he came and got me. When I went, she was very nice and said they have to do that due to kids that have allergies just taking food. 

I was fine with the explanation she offered.  I did not ask for one.  But I was wondering if kids just run around and grab things like that???

I guess I don't get out much.

delabela

Re: No sample for you!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 08:51:58 PM »
Yeah, I could see that - especially for things like shrimp were there are dietary restrictions or allergies. 

My kiddos (who are awesome in many ways) are still in the process of being civilized, so they might need a reminder not to just dash over and grab, but they are young enough that I know I need to be close enough to intercept. 

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 08:52:40 PM »
Last time I was at Costco there were little kids (as in, shorter than my elbow, so I'm guessing under 10 - I suck at estimating ages!) running around pretty much unchecked grabbing at every single sample set out. The poor workers were all looking run down about it and kept telling kids 'no' but none of them listened.

With regards to things like shrimp and peanut products, though, I can certainly understand having a parent collect it for a kid - how old is your DS? If he had an allergy then the store could be liable if they gave him the sample and he ate it and had a reaction. If they're able to restrict possible allergens then it's a sensible policy.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 08:54:31 PM »
At our Sams's club, the demonstrator always asks children where their parents are. They usually just point, and the person lets them take a sample of whatever. One store that is farther away has customers who will push each other out of the way to get the samples. I never go to that store on sample day.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 08:57:28 PM »
That makes sense to me. My older two are likely to just grab (still working on them with their manners) rather than ask and then take and aren't always good at knowing how much is a polite portion to take. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 09:01:21 PM »
At all the costcos I've shopped at (4-5) the employees always ask or make eye contact with me before they allow the kids to have a sample. My kids (9, 11 and 12) would never take one without asking or saying thank you so it works. I don't know what the poor people would do with kids who'd just run up and grab a sample despite being told they can't have one until an adult approves it.

bloo

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 09:38:12 PM »
When my kids were younger (younger than 13 or so) I had to be with them at Sam's Club, Costco & BJ's. I was startled the first time it happened, but the vendor politely explained that they needed the parents permission first. They didn't explain why, but it hadn't occurred to me until that moment that maybe kids ran around grabbing samples or maybe they were concerned about allergic reactions.

My kids are 17 & 15 and no denies them samples now if they ask for it.

Off-topic a bit but it still tickles me:

I was at Sam's Club in Erie, PA with my kids, DH & MIL. My kids asked if they could grab a sample of something and I reminded them, maybe a bit sternly, to remember to say 'please' and 'thank you'. They came back with their sample while I was chatting with my MIL about something, when an older lady came up to me and asked, "Are these your children?" pointing to my two rugrats.

(My MIL was hysterical with laughter because I verrrrrrry hesitatingly said, "...uh...yes?")

The older lady said to me, a little sternly, "I just wanted you to know they said 'please' and 'thank you' and were very polite to the sample vendor!"

Me (meekly): Oh...thanks for letting me know.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 09:46:04 PM »
I can't believe parents let their kids run around grabbing samples.  My daughter always stayed next to me in stores, and I monitored everything she did. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 09:51:48 PM »
When my kids were younger (younger than 13 or so) I had to be with them at Sam's Club, Costco & BJ's. I was startled the first time it happened, but the vendor politely explained that they needed the parents permission first. They didn't explain why, but it hadn't occurred to me until that moment that maybe kids ran around grabbing samples or maybe they were concerned about allergic reactions.

My kids are 17 & 15 and no denies them samples now if they ask for it.

Off-topic a bit but it still tickles me:

I was at Sam's Club in Erie, PA with my kids, DH & MIL. My kids asked if they could grab a sample of something and I reminded them, maybe a bit sternly, to remember to say 'please' and 'thank you'. They came back with their sample while I was chatting with my MIL about something, when an older lady came up to me and asked, "Are these your children?" pointing to my two rugrats.

(My MIL was hysterical with laughter because I verrrrrrry hesitatingly said, "...uh...yes?")

The older lady said to me, a little sternly, "I just wanted you to know they said 'please' and 'thank you' and were very polite to the sample vendor!"

Me (meekly): Oh...thanks for letting me know.

LOL!! Yeah, I'd answer like that too if someone came up to me like that!  That's still funny that she used that tone to praise your kids!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

shygirl

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 09:52:48 PM »
At our Sams's club, the demonstrator always asks children where their parents are. They usually just point, and the person lets them take a sample of whatever. One store that is farther away has customers who will push each other out of the way to get the samples. I never go to that store on sample day.

At BJs one day, I excitedly approached a sample lady who was handing out samples of ice cream.  She asked me where my mother was.  I stared at her in shock and my mouth was no doubt open.  I was 30 years old and 5 months pregnant.

The samples lady noticed my shock and said "sorry, you look like a little kid!".  I patted my belly and said I was going to be a mom soon!  She handed me a sample and I went on my way.  I realized later that I didn't actually clarify my age.  Oh well!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »
I think all sample people in the US do this now. And I prefer it to the lady from Lays that chased me and Mom around Rice trying to give me a sample because Sis got one and I didn't. Mom explained repeatedly that the chips had peanut oil (They don't have peanut oil now but this was the 70's and they had a mixed bag of oils back then) in them and would kill me. The manager had intervene and tell her to leave.

Honestly think of all the SS parents out there. What would happen if some kid came up and got a sample of x that had something s/he was allergic to? SS parent would be screaming  bloody murder why didn't they ask if child was allergic to ingredient. I can hear it now "Why didn't tell my 10 yo child that there is corn in corn chips? I'm going to have your job"

Not all parents of kids with allergies are like that - but enough are that the manufactures and stores have to get parent permission before handing a child food. My own parents, after I was safe, would have taken me to task with a What the Hell were you thinking. By the time I was 3 or 4 I refused to eat food unless certain people in my life gave it to me. By a month into kinder - I was reading labels for the word peanut. I was well trained to look after myself even if that meant telling adults no.

Also processed food vendors don't always know what is in their food. Dad got into a conversation with the Lays guy in charge of Houston about what happened. Dad knew him because of his job. The guy in charge of distributing Lays in Houston didn't know there was peanut oil in their chips. Back then the label would say vegetable oil (List of 6-7 different oils). I suspect they were buying what ever was cheapest at the moment and mixing them together. Now they tend only list one oil usually Canola or Peanut.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 11:03:01 PM »
It's a good policy. Businesses have to cover their behinds nowadays; people sue over everything, it seems.

Even a young child can be taught to not grab samples. And what if the samples are hot (temp wise), and a lot of the samples are on toothpicks. A very young child with a toothpick...scary.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
Kids running around unchecked at my local BJ's is so bad I've wondered if I was on a secret camera show. If sample people didn't require parents around I have no doubt kids would grab samples by the huge sticky handful and not leave.

Aside from the allergy issue -which is very legimate - there's alo the reality of what samples are: sales incentives. Making sure a parent aka the actual paying customer is aware what the product is is required for the sample strategy to be effective.

bloo

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 12:02:05 AM »
LOL!! Yeah, I'd answer like that too if someone came up to me like that!  That's still funny that she used that tone to praise your kids!

;D Yeah, I'm thinking she was busting my chops a little about jumping on my kids for manners before they'd had the chance to show good or bad ones!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »
I remember when I was a kid that we just walked up for a sample.  In my 30's, I still looked young and was asked my age before one lady gave me a sample of hand lotion.  I think it's important to get parent's permission nowadays given how attitudes/culture have changed.