Author Topic: You helped me out and now I'm taking it back?  (Read 4508 times)

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
Re: You helped me out and now I'm taking it back?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 04:57:40 PM »
That's very strange. If Barb is salaried, then she did not make any extra money by taking Anne's shift. Unless there is some kind of rule where she must work XX hours per week to maintain her status. I think Anne should clarfiy the policy with the boss in any case.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 05:15:02 PM »
Thank you for the replies everyone!  There is not policy that shifts must be traded.  Barb is salaried whereas Anne is paid by the hour. I hope that Anne approaches our boss with this. Unfortunately, I think this may come back to bite Barb as it seems Anne indicated to me she may not be so agreeable to covering for Barb again if in the end there is no monetary benefit for her.

Oh really? Then Barb is stealing from Anne. Barb will be paid whether she works that shift of not, but Anne won't work it and won't be paid. Time to go to a supervisor.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 11:49:38 PM »
Thank you for the replies everyone!  There is not policy that shifts must be traded. Barb is salaried whereas Anne is paid by the hour. I hope that Anne approaches our boss with this. Unfortunately, I think this may come back to bite Barb as it seems Anne indicated to me she may not be so agreeable to covering for Barb again if in the end there is no monetary benefit for her.

Wow, that really screws Anne over, doesn't it?

Barb was out of line. She could have ASKED, if she needed to replace that shift for some reason, but to announce, and pressure her?

tiggnduff

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 12:52:50 PM »
Just to clarify, Barb is entitled to "x" number of holiday / sick days. Barb has quickly been using and may actually have used all the days she is entitled to at this time. Therefore, she wanted the Sat. shift so that she would not be docked for the 2 full days. She would only be docked for one day as she made up one day on the Saturday.  (Hope that makes sense)

Barb called Anne today to see if she could cover a day for her in April due to an appointment.  I happened to be in the office at the time. Based on what I did hear Anne replied no and since Anne is the only part time employee available during the day I'm not sure what Barb is going to do now?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 02:42:40 PM »
Just to clarify, Barb is entitled to "x" number of holiday / sick days. Barb has quickly been using and may actually have used all the days she is entitled to at this time. Therefore, she wanted the Sat. shift so that she would not be docked for the 2 full days. She would only be docked for one day as she made up one day on the Saturday.  (Hope that makes sense)

Barb called Anne today to see if she could cover a day for her in April due to an appointment.  I happened to be in the office at the time. Based on what I did hear Anne replied no and since Anne is the only part time employee available during the day I'm not sure what Barb is going to do now?

Aha - that makes much more sense. But Barb was still in the wrong. Itís one thing to ask someone to cover for you if you canít work, but then to just assume you can take their hours, esp. since itís only to HER advantage is selfish, and wrong.  If she needs 2 days off, and has no time off left, well, then thatís her problem. Now if Ann was asked, and willing to give up her shift, fine, but she wasnít.

I know at my PT job, I'm often asked if I can either work for someone, or switch with someone, depending on who's asking, and so on.  I find that those who ask if I can switch Iím more likely to agree too. Partly because this is my second job, and working an extra day on top of my FT and this job is a lot for me to handle, and partly because a lot of those who ask me to work FOR them donít ever reciprocate when I need to switch. Those who ask me to switch with them generally are willing to do the same for me.  I will always try and switch first if I need time off when Iím scheduled, and if all else fails, ask someone to work for me.

But Iím also pretty proactive, and try and ask for any time off I know I have something going on, well in advance. Sounds like Barb didnít plan too well, and maybe just assumed that Ann would be able to cover for her.