Author Topic: Good ideas turned bad (Inventions) Take 2  (Read 3719 times)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Re: Good ideas turned bad (Inventions) Take 2
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 04:06:26 PM »
Pregnant women having chest x-rays in the1950's.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 04:30:14 PM »
I'll suggest a triple-surprise: nuclear power.

In the Eisenhower era, nuclear power would make electricity so cheap that it would just be given away.

Then, twenty years later, the people who were in the know were seen to gather in large groups with protest signs and chants of "no nukes!"

Now, in a sudden left-turn since the Fukushima disaster (Three Mile Island didn't turn the tide of public opinion enough, not did Chernobyl), nuclear power is touted as being the only wise answer for global warming.

I was too young to be aware of Eisenhower's prediction, but I was old enough to wonder why the majority of people weren't alarmed by the deadly dangers posed by radioactive waste, and now my children tell me that new generations of reactors have solved many of the problems. Me ... I dunno.

Nuclear waste could be a problem.  Oil and coal smoke IS a problem.

Iris

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 04:54:28 PM »
I'll suggest a triple-surprise: nuclear power.

In the Eisenhower era, nuclear power would make electricity so cheap that it would just be given away.

Then, twenty years later, the people who were in the know were seen to gather in large groups with protest signs and chants of "no nukes!"

Now, in a sudden left-turn since the Fukushima disaster (Three Mile Island didn't turn the tide of public opinion enough, not did Chernobyl), nuclear power is touted as being the only wise answer for global warming.

I was too young to be aware of Eisenhower's prediction, but I was old enough to wonder why the majority of people weren't alarmed by the deadly dangers posed by radioactive waste, and now my children tell me that new generations of reactors have solved many of the problems. Me ... I dunno.

Nuclear waste could be a problem.  Oil and coal smoke IS a problem.

I was going to post another opinion but instead I'm just going to ask can we please not go here? Nuclear/greenhouse gas/renewable energy debates are getting just as heated as religion and politics these days.

CFCs in fridges and lead in petrol.

Unfortunately, both were thought up by the same man - Thomas Midgley, Jr.

I was going to say that  :). When I first heard that I felt sympathy for the poor guy, assuming that he'd tried to help humankind and it had all gone horribly wrong. But when I heard how the petrol companies trotted him out as a PR stunt to show how safe lead in petrol was and how he participated willingly despite knowing the dangers were very real aa lot of that sympathy evaporated clean away.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Wench

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »
I hope this is not controversial but antibiotics.  The discovery and usage of antibiotics was a wonderful thing for modern medicine especially for operations and to allow people to have chemo and radiotherapy treatment for cancer.  The use of antibiotics for meat production and mild infections such as earaches not so good.  I am a regular sufferer of outer ear infections and used to get antibiotics but now don't bother as I fight them off myself.  I know of people who take antibiotics on holiday "just in case."

Luckily scientists have found that manuka honey may be able to fight antibiotic resistant infections such as MRSA!

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
Pretty much every time someone has decided to introduce a new species of plant or animal to an area in order to fix a specific problem. The new plants or animals always end up causing new problems.

Such as:

Rabbits in Australia
Kudzu vine in the Southeast US
Beavers in Tierra del Fuego
Starlings in most of the US

Environmental altering has always been a peeve of mine.  Adding powerlines so Ravens, a bushbird, could have an advantage, and both overeat the Desert Tortoise AND be out of reach of their natural predator, the coyote?  Yeah.  A little late to change that now, though...

On a smaller extent, importing burros into an area where the mountain goat is native.  We now lack goats... but have plenty of burros.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 06:09:36 PM »
Introduced species.
GMO foods, especially corn and soybeans.
Artificial hormones given to cattle.
Heelies
Hydrogenated oil

CharlieBraun

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 06:21:54 PM »
Cocaine in the original original coke

Can't imagine how that was bad.  See, the cocaine would help you burn off the calories from the Coke.

Sigh.  The good old days.
"We ate the pies."

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »
And, because life is always more complicated: thalidomide has been reintroduced, with strict controls, for the treatment of HIV and certain cancers.

Also, what counts as an introduced species? Sure, starlings have altered the landscape and ecology of North America, but much less so than wheat and the common housecat.

Headphones: the advantages are obvious (including that I can listen to music without bothering you, and vice versa), but the disadvantage is that they can lead to hearing loss.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 06:45:22 PM »
GMO crops. For so many reasons. To skip over some of the more controversial, just the idea of super weeds is a problem now. Tons of fields were planted with round-up ready crops and for years it worked, the Round-Up killed the weeds and the crops lived... but plants are highly adaptable, and the weeds are now resistant to the Round-up themselves... and we're stuck with the uselessly altered crops!

Another: single serve water bottles for sale. Sure it seemed great at first - great for companies (talk about easy water, most bottled water is just tap water!) and great for people - drink more calorie free, hydrating, healthful water... until the landfills started overflowing.

Amara

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 07:50:48 PM »
Bottled water. (In my opinion.) People used to drink from the tap and from public fountains. No one felt the need to carry around numerous plastic bottles. Now ... the landfills are full of them despite recycling encouragement.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 07:55:47 PM »
Bottled water. (In my opinion.) People used to drink from the tap and from public fountains. No one felt the need to carry around numerous plastic bottles. Now ... the landfills are full of them despite recycling encouragement.

Then of course there were those of us who instead of buying bottled water brought along our Nalgene bottles filled with tap water (or the beverage of our choice) to avoid the landfill issue.  Of course, then they decided that the BPA in Nalgene was bad for you.   :-\

Jules1980

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 11:02:19 PM »
Cocaine in the original original coke

Can't imagine how that was bad.  See, the cocaine would help you burn off the calories from the Coke.

Sigh.  The good old days.

Actually it wasn't taken out because of they thought it had adverse effects on the population, cocaine was a popular medicine then, but because they could make more with it as a refreshment than as a headache cure.

Ohjustlovely

• Myspace
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 11:15:29 PM »
Rogaine for women. Help for hair loss on the head.
But now hair growth on the upper lip, chin, cheeks,...

Edited because darn keyboard!!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 11:20:20 PM by Ohjustlovely »

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 01:30:09 AM »
I'm on the fence about GMC in general, but I do have a problem with the modifications where the seeds are sterile.  It's to the company's advantage - the farmer has to buy new seeds from the company every year instead of saving some seeds to re-plant the next spring - but then the wind blows and cross-pollination means that nearby farms lose half their crop.  (And worse, there have been cases where farmers are successfully sued because their neighbors' modified plants pollinated their own, so they're not only unable to replant their own seeds the next year, but they have to pay a fine to a company they didn't deal with in the first place!)

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 03:23:59 AM »
Pregnant women having chest x-rays in the1950's.

Unfortunately I can top that- x-rays to confirm pregnancy.
NE England