Author Topic: Good ideas turned bad (Inventions) Take 2  (Read 3639 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: Good ideas turned bad (Inventions) Take 2
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 03:32:15 AM »
White lead in makeup.

Using mercury to cure syphilus.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 07:23:03 AM »
African honey bees.

Pythons and anacondas in the Everglades.

Redsoil

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 07:50:16 AM »
Lions and tigers and bears...Oh My!

Some interesting bits and pieces so far.  :)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 09:31:54 AM »
And, because life is always more complicated: thalidomide has been reintroduced, with strict controls, for the treatment of HIV and certain cancers.

Also, what counts as an introduced species? Sure, starlings have altered the landscape and ecology of North America, but much less so than wheat and the common housecat.

Headphones: the advantages are obvious (including that I can listen to music without bothering you, and vice versa), but the disadvantage is that they can lead to hearing loss.

In the US, particularly the Southeastern US we have a significant problem with introduced species. Apple snails, kudzu, melaleuca, Brazilian pepper, Australian pine, hydrilla, Nile monitor, Burmese python, Monk parakeet, wild boar, and black rats. These species have adapted quite well to the climate and have encroached on the habitats of native species.

Our extremely endangered Florida panther is highly susceptible to trichinosis spread by the wild boar.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:34:56 AM by ladyknight1 »

Tea Drinker

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2013, 11:34:33 AM »
I know a lot of introduced species are a problem: but it's a bit like saying the problem is "drugs" when you don't mean to include most uses of antibiotics, or appropriate uses of pain-killers. I can object to English ivy all over my local park, without trying to root out every non-native plant in the neighborhood, and I like my post-Columbian-exchange varied diet, which lets me have (just for example) bell peppers and rice as part of the same meal, or chocolate cake.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2013, 05:16:04 PM »

In the US, particularly the Southeastern US we have a significant problem with introduced species. Apple snails, kudzu, melaleuca, Brazilian pepper, Australian pine, hydrilla, Nile monitor, Burmese python, Monk parakeet, wild boar, and black rats. These species have adapted quite well to the climate and have encroached on the habitats of native species.

Our extremely endangered Florida panther is highly susceptible to trichinosis spread by the wild boar.
You forgot the devil's own insect - The Fire Ant.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

JoW

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2013, 05:39:09 PM »
.....Headphones: the advantages are obvious (including that I can listen to music without bothering you, and vice versa), but the disadvantage is that they can lead to hearing loss.
Another problem with head phones is that they drown-out near by sounds.  Thats why New York City has banned them on people jogging out doors.  The joggers don't hear approaching traffic.   And thats why my employer is considering banning them except for people sitting at their desks.  Out in the manufacturing areas there is a danger of not hearing an approaching fork lift or other moving equipment.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2013, 07:28:31 PM »
Both from my former Brisbane, Qld days...

Cane toads.  Another introduced species.  Horrid, horrid things.  They'd crawl out of my potplants when I watered them, and I lived in terror of one of the cats trying to catch/play/eat one of the vile things.  And they played havoc with the local native frog population.

I was also lucky  ::) enough to  live in the fire ant affected area - fortunately I never saw one on my block, but the thought of them was enough.  Ugh.  But I believe these were an accidental introduction (via shipping containers) rather than deliberate, like the toads.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2013, 07:33:14 PM »
We also have bufo toads, which are native to South America.

cheyne

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2013, 08:45:55 PM »
Playing Devil's advocate here.

DDT-Saved inordinate numbers of people in the 1940's-50's by eradicating typhus spread by insects along with Malaria and Dengue fever.  Once the side effects were realized, DDT was banned for use as an insecticide.  However, there are many alive today especially in the Far East and Europe whose parents/grandparents would have succumbed to one of these diseases.

GMO crops-The weeds are resistant due to the farmers not applying enough Roundup (glyphosate) to their fields and killing all weeds.  If you lower the usage rate by 1/4 or 1/2 (original Roundup was put on at 32 oz. per acre and many farmers tried to get by cheaper by lowering the rate) you are not going to kill all the weeds in the field.  Weeds that are not killed can go on to reproduce seeds that have some resistance to the herbicide.  After several generations of this, the weeds have a tolerance for glyphosate and it does not kill them or even harm them.

-One other thing about GMO crops-food stays a lot cheaper.  Hogs, chickens and cattle are feed corn and soybean [mixtures] that are the cheaper GMO grain, besides the amount of corn used in meal, sweeteners etc...If we had to go back to non-GMO seeds and the herbicides that we used 20 years ago, you would see a substantial rise in food costs.  However, I do not agree with Monsanto successfully suing organic farmers whose crops were cross pollinated with GMO crops.

Library Dragon

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2013, 09:07:09 PM »
Playing Devil's advocate here.

DDT-Saved inordinate numbers of people in the 1940's-50's by eradicating typhus spread by insects along with Malaria and Dengue fever.  Once the side effects were realized, DDT was banned for use as an insecticide.  However, there are many alive today especially in the Far East and Europe whose parents/grandparents would have succumbed to one of these diseases.

Add my  >:D to the mix.  No, you shouldn't be having a picnic in the park where they are actively sparking DDT, but used appropriately it it would literally be a life saver.  Okay, Al Pacino is leaving now.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Editeer

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2013, 08:58:31 PM »
On a less serious note--how about flippin' *cell phones*? Yes, they're very convenient and helpful in an emergency and let you keep in touch with your kids and all that. But thanks to them, places that used to be fairly quiet are now full of people LOUDLY describing their bowel movements or fighting with their boyfriends. I am so sick of hearing half conversations of a personal nature. Oh for the good old days, when  walking around talking to yourself was considered embarrassing, so people didn't do it.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2013, 11:36:36 PM »
On a less serious note--how about flippin' *cell phones*? Yes, they're very convenient and helpful in an emergency and let you keep in touch with your kids and all that. But thanks to them, places that used to be fairly quiet are now full of people LOUDLY describing their bowel movements or fighting with their boyfriends. I am so sick of hearing half conversations of a personal nature. Oh for the good old days, when  walking around talking to yourself was considered embarrassing, so people didn't do it.

I'm right there with you on that.  The only conversation I have over the cell when I'm in public is "Uh-huh, yeah.  They're two for three dollars.  How many?  Six?  Got it."

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2013, 11:52:33 PM »

I'm right there with you on that.  The only conversation I have over the cell when I'm in public is "Uh-huh, yeah.  They're two for three dollars.  How many?  Six?  Got it."

Slightly introverted me has a serious distaste for them.  I can get having one for contacts, like groceries or emergencies, but there's that lingering thought where one can't have a nice, quiet evening with a few friends and not without someone yakking on the cellphone.  It kind of ruins the atmosphere of it, if it makes any sense?  I really, really don't like them, but I must begrudge them to their usefulness. :-\

As for introduced species, not *all* are bad.  But powerlines for ravens to sit on here and bullfrogs in Australia are horrible for the environment and the ecosystem, that they are, indeed, truly bad ideas.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2013, 12:04:00 AM »
.....Headphones: the advantages are obvious (including that I can listen to music without bothering you, and vice versa), but the disadvantage is that they can lead to hearing loss.
Another problem with head phones is that they drown-out near by sounds.  Thats why New York City has banned them on people jogging out doors.  The joggers don't hear approaching traffic.   And thats why my employer is considering banning them except for people sitting at their desks.  Out in the manufacturing areas there is a danger of not hearing an approaching fork lift or other moving equipment.

Huh? NYC has not banned headphone usage for joggers. Certainly most safety advocates and many running groups, such as NYC's Road Runner's discourage headphones, and some races ban them, but the city has not banned them.