Author Topic: Good ideas turned bad (Inventions) Take 2  (Read 3213 times)

Mikayla

Re: Good ideas turned bad (Inventions) Take 2
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
The other problem with cellphones is the potential for distraction, and I'm not even talking about the obvious one with driving and texting.

I live in an area with lots of middle and high school kids, and when the bus drops them off, or I see them in outdoor malls, every single one is walking along staring at that little device.  I've seen near misses with autos, I've seen at least one nasty fall when someone tripped on something, and a ton of person-to-person collisions. 

And, in the interest of full disclosure, I've been guilty of it myself in a crosswalk.  You just can't do that.

Library Dragon

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 11:45:05 PM »
A slightly obscure one that I learned about today.

Plastic catsup bottles.  It's almost impossible to recycle them.  There are layers of nylon within the 7, yes 7, layers of plastic that make up the bottle.  The layers cannot be separated.  I always knew catsup was evil.  ;)

Today I toured a company that recycles plastic bottles into pellets for reforming into other products.  One of the other culprits is PVC shrink labels on bottles.  The labels cannot be chopped up with the other plastic. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

whatsanenigma

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »
Another one from the medical field: the use of forceps during childbirth.

At the time they were invented, c-sections were not possible yet, so they were literally a life-saving invention.  If a baby was stuck, it just was stuck, and both mother and baby were likely to die.

The use of forceps saved the lives of many women, and even the lives of some babies.  With the state of medical care at that time, it was the best that could be done, and a huge advance over what happened before.

But then they began to be overused, even after other medical care advanced (such as the availability of c-sections) and caused a lot of unnecessary problems.