Author Topic: please just stop talking and my money  (Read 3475 times)

postalslave

please just stop talking and my money
« on: March 16, 2013, 04:58:42 PM »
I didn't handle this well I know.

I stopped at the pharmacy the other morning on my way to work for Advil. When  I got to the checkout the cashier on duty was finishing up another customers transaction.  They were rather chatty and taking a while to "mosey on." Typically this doesn't bother me but it was during rush hour, my work cell was ringing repeatedly (no, I did not answer, just sent to voice mail) and my head had some serious pain. I was feeling rather impatient but trying not to show it.

When my turn came up the cashier wouldn't. Stop. Talking. Not just pleasantries but random info about her life. How she was about to bean aunt, what she had left to watch on her DVR, the new diet she was thinking of trying. Keep in mind, this was rapid fire speech that did not stop. All the while, the Advil is rung through, its bagged, I just have to pay and go. I want to toss her the cash and just go to work already, but she has the bag in her hand and is gesturing madly with it.

No coffee in me yet, I did not handle the best. I yanked the bag from her, apologized and tossed ten dollars on the cash (came to 9 and change) and literally RAN out of there.

Two questions - should I go back and apologize or pretend it never happened and try to avoid that cashier in the future.

If something like this happens again what's a polite way to speed along the transaction/ stop conversation?

sweetonsno

Re: please just stop talking and my money
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 05:05:03 PM »
Q 1: Don't go back and apologize. I would try to avoid her in the future if you can, but if not, here's your line:

Q 2: "I'm afraid I'll have to cut this conversation short; I'm late for work." or "I'm sorry, but I don't have time to chat. I really need to take these meds ASAP."

Bees

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 05:11:01 PM »
All of my answers are rude..This must have pushed a memory button for stress that I had forgotten about. 
I don't think saying Please sharply with the Look is out of line. 

If you frequent that store I might send off a email to corporate to ask that the lines be kept moving more efficiently.
Mostly I find cashiers chatting about their diets and dates to other employees and ignoring you as a human so maybe the cashier thought she was providing 'exceptional' service.  Hope it didi not make your headache worse.

bloo

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 05:39:32 PM »
I read your post and can't quite see where you didn't handle yourself well.

I can barely function with a headache (I'm a real sissy about those) and don't think I would've been as nice as you were.

Maybe an improvement would be if you were able to yell, "Soooooooooooorry" as you ran out of the store?

Avoid her in the future, not because of how you acted, but because of how she acted.

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »
Honestly, I don't think you should apologize, and I say this as someone who loves to chat with the cashiers at my local (right across the street) pharmacy.

What I do suggest you do, though, is have a talk with the manager. Say something like "The other day I was in a hurry and the cashier just wouldn't stop talking. (Add more about your headache here if you want, but I don't think it matters *why* you were not available to talk to the cashier) Could you talk to her about paying better attention to the customer's needs?" Or you could send an email if you're not comfortable having a face to face conversation with her manager.

It could be that this is an ongoing problem and they know they need to do something about this cashier. It could be that they'll ignore you and that they don't see anything wrong with a cashier holding up the customers to have an overly chatty conversation. Either way, you can determine from their response whether or not this is a store you want to continue to give your money.

If something like this happens again what's a polite way to speed along the transaction/ stop conversation?

I think something like "I'm sorry, I'm in a hurry, could you just ring me up/hand me my purchases, please?" if she doesn't get the hint from that, I'd go straight to the manager.
Utah

Otterpop

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 06:27:30 PM »
It's a pharmacy.  It's part of the job to see people sick and in pain that need their meds.  Do not apologize, just act like nothing happened.  The cashier was way out of line and will learn her lesson soon enough (when someone really yells at her).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:29:09 PM by Otterpop »

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 10:26:31 PM »
I'm sorry your head was hurting so bad!

But whether you have a headache or whether you just don't want to lollygag at the store, you can always simply say--even when the checkout clerk is chatting with the customer in front of you--"Excuse me, could you check me out quickly please?"

Just ask. Ask right away. Don't wait until you get mad.

And be direct. You're not really asking any great favor, so don't bother being grovel-y. Just say:

"Excuse me, could you check me out quickly please?'/"

JustEstelle

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 11:43:26 PM »
I don't think you should apologize either.  I second going to the manager, and I would also stress to him/her that you were purchasing medication for a head ache and were in pain and that the cashier was holding you up and preventing access to your medication.

gellchom

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 01:03:58 AM »
I'm sorry your head was hurting so bad!

But whether you have a headache or whether you just don't want to lollygag at the store, you can always simply say--even when the checkout clerk is chatting with the customer in front of you--"Excuse me, could you check me out quickly please?"

Just ask. Ask right away. Don't wait until you get mad.

And be direct. You're not really asking any great favor, so don't bother being grovel-y. Just say:

"Excuse me, could you check me out quickly please?'/"

Perfect.  Especially the bolded.

I can certainly understand how irritating this was.  Of course she needs to stop doing that, and anyone can understand why you lost your temper a bit.  But I also think that it sounds like you are uncomfortable with your own behavior and wish you had been a bit gentler.  As Toots wisely suggests, it's much easier to be at our best if we don't wait until we are too angry or upset.

So although I don't think you must, maybe it will make you feel better to give her a little apology.   And I also think you might speak to the manager.

Need to Change

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 01:23:48 AM »
I don't see any rudeness on your part, OP.  I do know that if I'm feeling low, I tend to second-guess myself or let others roll over me because I don't trust myself to be civil, coherent or competent.

What I would try to do (if I can think straight-ish), is simply to say "Sorry, but I'm in a hurry," even if i must interrupt.

If the behavior persists anyway, I would complain to the manager ... later on, and at my leisure.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 01:34:17 AM »

"Just check me out, please. I need to get going."

Rhindle

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 03:57:37 PM »
Something similar happened to me. I was grocery shopping in the afternoon before my 4 pm shift. Time had gotten tight. The cashier was chatting with the customer in front of me. Finally the transaction was done, and she took her bags. I moved up.

Cashier: Hi, ma'am, how are you today.

Me (with a friendly smile): Just fine, thank you, and in a big hurry.

He got the point and checked me through nice and quick. No further speech except for the Thank you--You're welcome pleasantry at the end.

Gotta head it off at the pass.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 05:40:03 PM »
I like Ticia's suggestion.  It is tough but in a job like that they should be looking for nonverbal cues.  Body language, facial expression, maybe even the product being sold can all give a hint as to whether the customer can/will spend a few seconds chatting.  If they are buying Imodium and looking anxious, do not delay them.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 10:49:06 PM »
Something similar happened to me. I was grocery shopping in the afternoon before my 4 pm shift. Time had gotten tight. The cashier was chatting with the customer in front of me. Finally the transaction was done, and she took her bags. I moved up.

Cashier: Hi, ma'am, how are you today.

Me (with a friendly smile): Just fine, thank you, and in a big hurry.

He got the point and checked me through nice and quick. No further speech except for the Thank you--You're welcome pleasantry at the end.

Gotta head it off at the pass.

Beauty!

And in fact, I think that if the cashier is chatting with the person in front of you and NOT moving to help you when it is your turn, you are absolutely within proper etiquette to interrupt and say, pleasantly, "Excuse me--I'm in a bit of a hurry. Could you check me out right away?"

Just ask!