Author Topic: What is "it" about eyes?  (Read 1424 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
What is "it" about eyes?
« on: March 16, 2013, 05:00:42 PM »
Many years ago I went to Graceland and there was a close-up picture of Elvis' eyes with the caption "The eyes are the window to a man's soul." I wish that I bought that photo because Elvis's eyes simply captivated me.

Perusing the net today I ran across this:

http://uberhumor.com/they-said-i-could-be-anything-i-want

Oh.my.goodness. Johnny Depp's eyes is the only thing I see in that photo.

What is it about the eyes that people are drawn to? Whose eyes do you see that makes the strongest impression on you? Why?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: What is "it" about eyes?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 05:46:10 PM »
hehe...Emo Wolverine :)

Amara

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 07:40:13 PM »
I recall Omar Sharif's eyes (around the time of Dr. Zhivago) being so liquid I could swim in them. I fell in love with those eyes!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 10:57:49 PM »
I don't know what it is, but know what you mean. 
I've seen pictures of someone smiling and when you cover their mouth the eyes are not at all smiling.  I always thought that was interesting. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 11:21:15 PM »
Ohhh I know what you mean about Johnny Depp's eyes!  There've been some movies that have closeups of his face and I get so caught up in those gorgeous eyes that it takes me a while before I get around to appreciating the rest of that lovely face.

The makeup artist that he takes along with him on every single movie once remarked that it is very difficult to make his eyes look dangerous because they're so big and doe-like.  Like turning him into Sweeney Todd was difficult because his eyes are so big and gentle-looking and she had to make him look menacing. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 05:45:09 AM »

Dang. I never remember that Johnny Depp played all those parts.

I had a big crush on Steve from "Blue's Clues" because of his crazy eyes. I don't even have kids  :P

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

StarFaerie

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 06:15:22 AM »
I believe studies have shown that humans perform facial recognition principally from the eyes, then the mouth and nose. Babies are drawn to look at people's eyes naturally as they learn to recognise faces. So our brains, more so even then other primates, are basically hard wired to focus on eyes to recognise firstly that it is a face, so it goes to the facial recognition part of our brain, and then whether it it a face that we recognise. So the eyes are, for humans, the most recognisable, and hence important, part of the face.

I've read various evolutionary and developmental reasons for all this.

TylerBelle

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 12:59:57 PM »
Yummy shot of Johnny there. ;D

I think Elijah Wood's eyes are quite nice.

Also, I remember long time ago watching "The Bad News Bears Go to Japan" and there was a nighttime scene where Jackie Earle Haley was sitting up on a fence talking to this girl and the light just hit his eyes and made them really illuminate. Don't remember much about the film, though evidently that shot  has stayed with me :o.

Not only the prettiness about them, but there's so much emotion in the eyes is a reason I think people are drawn to them. I mean,  you could be smiling, but your eyes could say something different.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »
I'm thinking about the iconic National Geographic cover with the (I think) Afghani girl on it.  Her eyes were very striking!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 02:57:48 PM »
I'm thinking about the iconic National Geographic cover with the (I think) Afghani girl on it.  Her eyes were very striking!

Oh wow, yes! Those are the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen!

And, in honor of St. Paddy's Day, I present the green/grey eyes of Mr. Tom Hardy: http://www.runningoffthereeses.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/tom-hardy.jpg
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Jocelyn

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 03:30:35 PM »
That was such an icon, they sent the photographer back several decades later to find her, and see what her life was like now. I don't remember much about the followup article, except that she had a fairly typical life (for a woman in that region) and she was amazed to learn that so many people around the world had been captivated by her picture!

Maude

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 03:33:44 PM »
The eyes of James Holmes (Colorado theatre killer) are really scary.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 05:41:55 PM »

Oh wow, yes! Those are the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen!

And, in honor of St. Paddy's Day, I present the green/grey eyes of Mr. Tom Hardy: http://www.runningoffthereeses.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/tom-hardy.jpg

You really are a giver aren't you :)

EmmaJ.

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 12:30:19 AM »
That was such an icon, they sent the photographer back several decades later to find her, and see what her life was like now. I don't remember much about the followup article, except that she had a fairly typical life (for a woman in that region) and she was amazed to learn that so many people around the world had been captivated by her picture!

I wanted to try to find the photo and Google located it immediately.  Here is a link of the before and after photo:  http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/enlarge/afghan-girl-before-after_pod_image.html 

She's 12 years old on the left, 30 years old on the right. 

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 12:44:39 AM »

I wanted to try to find the photo and Google located it immediately.  Here is a link of the before and after photo:  http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/enlarge/afghan-girl-before-after_pod_image.html 

She's 12 years old on the left, 30 years old on the right.

What amazingly intense eyes and what they probably saw in the 18 years inbetween.