Author Topic: Running Shoes - yes or no?  (Read 2100 times)

Iris

Running Shoes - yes or no?
« on: March 16, 2013, 05:04:49 PM »
[bg]In an effort to not be a pathetic middle aged woman who gets out of breath walking up 3 stairs and maybe lose some weight I have started jogging on a treadmill. However I am finding that after about 2 weeks of jogging one of my knees starts to twinge. I am pretty sure that this is because I hold my foot slightly wrong. [/bg]

Someone has suggested that I buy a good pair of running shoes for support. The sneakers I have are cross trainers and a few years old, though still in good condition. When I went looking at running shoes though the prices made me balk. We can afford them, and I certainly would consider avoiding future joint problems a wise investment but I'm not sure whether they are just a marketing con or not.

So, jogging e-hellions, can anyone tell me if dedicated running shoes are a wise investment, or are they just Nike and co.'s way of shilling the public? Any other tips would be lovely as well. I'm currently doing an interval training regimen, gradually increasing the time spent jogging and decreasing the breaks between. It seems to be working wonders fitness wise (though not so much on weight loss).
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Running Shoes - yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »
Cross trainers are just that - designed with a little support everywhere you might need it for numerous activities.  Good running shoes are worth it.  Take your current shoes with you so the clerk can see your wear pattern.  A good salesman will be able to steer you to the correct shoe for the way you walk, whether you supernate (lean to the outside), pronate (lean to the inside) or neither.  Different brands will fit differently; I can't wear Nikes at all because they are too narrow for me.

If you have the medical coverage, you could also look into getting orthotics.  They will analyze your gait and prepare insoles for your shoes that have good arch support, or not, depending on what you need.  I wear them; they make a difference, especially for sports.

Don't panic about the weight loss - it'll come.  Or even if you don't lose weight, you will decrease size because you are burning fat and building muscle.  1 lb of muscle takes up less space than 1 lb of fat.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 05:24:48 PM »
Go to a specialty running store. The one in my area will make all customers walk/run on a treadmill so they can watch your gait and see what your problems are and help you find a shoe that will work best for you.

If you don't know where there is one in your area, do a search for running store and your town, and if that doesn't work, search for running clubs in your area. The members of the club would be able to point you in the right direction.

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »
Sorry, no help on the shoes. I just want to commend you on your new found fitness training. Encouraging you to "Keep it Up!";D

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 05:32:45 PM »
Absolutely. The right shoes for your feet are very, very important.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

otterwoman

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 05:37:41 PM »
I agree that going to a specialty store that has you get on a treadmill is a great idea. I did that years ago. They recommended a pair of shoes that would work with my flat feet. Just changing to those shoes made my feet hurt less and almost doubled the distance I was able to go. Seriously. I was stunned.

Running shoes should be replaced after 500-600 miles, due to the supports wearing down. It is an investment.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 05:42:35 PM »
Yes!  A good pair of running shoes are vital to keeping you safe and from getting hurt. 

I second going to a specialty store.  DSW or Foot Locker are fine if you are used to buying specialty shoes.  But nothing beats the expertise of a good running store.

Your ankles, calves, knees, thighs, hips, and back will thank you :)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 05:44:37 PM »
They are more than worth it. Go to a good running store (Google "good running store [name of your city]" and find a place that does gait analysis and looks at your feet. If they try to sell you insoles, it's not necessarily a scam. Even with decent shoes for my feet, the arches aren't high enough. I know the prices are horrible, but it's worth the life of your joints. If you don't find anything at a shoe store within your price range, do keep track of the shoes that you try and that feel comfortable; then start looking online for good deals on them, or maybe on the same shoe from the year before.

One other thing that's really helped me is patellar stabilizers for my knees. I don't need them anymore for running, but I still do for squats and lunges.

ETA: If you're going for weight loss, add in some strength training. It doesn't have to be a lot. Running is great for your heart and lungs, but it probably won't help you lose weight unless you're very strict about your diet.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:47:04 PM by MrsJWine »

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 06:03:46 PM »
Just another jogger chiming in on new, running, shoes. the reason I love jogging as an exercise is that I don't need a membership or to follow a class schedule or to have much equipment - but one does need good shoes. That's all you need, but their importance should not be under estimated.

As for price, yes, spending $100 on sneakers seems outrageous at first, but break it down like this: perhaps you are doing 6 miles a week. And a conservative mileage on running shoes is 300 miles. That's 50 weeks, so ok lets just round up to a year. Are you willing to pay $2 a week for your fitness? That's still cheaper then any gym or fitness class out there. And $2 a week, or even $4 or $8 a week (as your distance improves) to protect your knees as you age - not too bad really and still cheaper then a gym membership!

Library Dragon

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 06:40:30 PM »
One more vote for the good running shoes.  Your feet are too important to wear bad shoes.

DS2 has wide, flat feet.  New Blance analyzed his feet and he finally had shoes for running that he needed.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Iris

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 06:49:17 PM »
Thanks guys - I'm taking it as a "yes" then  ;D Will take myself out shopping later.

Sorry, no help on the shoes. I just want to commend you on your new found fitness training. Encouraging you to "Keep it Up!";D

Thanks. To fit this in I'm having to get out of bed earlier so as winter approaches I need all the encouragement I can get. I'm planning to go overseas next year so many, many morning see me lying in bed, internally chanting "You don't want to be fat in Paris. You don't want to be fat in Paris." to get myself out of bed.

ETA: If you're going for weight loss, add in some strength training. It doesn't have to be a lot. Running is great for your heart and lungs, but it probably won't help you lose weight unless you're very strict about your diet.

That's next on my to-do list, but I want to feel fit first. I find that feeling of being able to run upstairs a big motivator. Thanks for the tip, though.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Belle

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 07:17:08 PM »
I know I'm a little late, but yes, they are definitely worth the money. I've learned that you can either pay for the more expensive shoes or pay for a physical therapist to fix the problems caused by not wearing running shoes that are designed for your specific foot and gait. (Been there, done that.) Buying the running shoes is much more pleasurable than enduring the therapy!

And congrats on the new exercise regimen! I started jogging a few years ago (mid-30s at the time) to get into slightly better shape. I found that social support really, really helped. I joined a group of other runners through an employee wellness program, and running with them keeps me exercising on days when I don't want to run. It's part exercise, part socializing with friends.  :)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 07:28:07 PM »
If you haven't bought any yet, I highly recco you buy RYKA runners. They are made by women for women.  They fit a woman's arch much better than a man  All those Nike's are made for men and just in smaller sizes for women's small feet.

Also, your knee may be bothering you because running is too high impact for you.  If the new runners don't work, I suggest you use a different machine... either walk on the treadmill or use the illiptical.

Definitely stop that high impact activity if your knee continues to hurt.  Damaged knees are painful and difficult to fix.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 07:52:09 PM »
Well fitting, appropriately laced running shoes are a must.  It helps prevent injuries and unnecessary pain (foot, ankle, knee, hip, lower back).

Go to a speciality store.  The sales person should watch you walk and run to analyze your gait.  Depending on your arch you may still need inserts.  I personally have to special lace my shoes and usually have to get inserts as I have a wide feet, thin heel, and high arches...it makes shopping difficult as I simply cannot wear New Balance or Reebok.  I usually get Asics gel Kayano, though they usually have some less expensive models that are fine as well.  To save money, try looking at last years models.  Many times the only difference is color or slight variations to the shoe.

Depending on how much you run, you should replace them every 6 months or every 300-400 miles.  Even if they look fine, the cushioning and support breakdown.  You can keep running shoes good by wearing them only for running, taking the time to untie and loosen laces before slipping your feet out, NOT RUNNING THEM THROUGH A WASHING MACHINE.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Amara

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 07:54:55 PM »
If you are up for it, I have always found that swimming laps after running (or walking) is a great way to prevent injuries to my knees and shins. Of course, I love to swim and love laps so that may make a difference too, but it really does work.