Author Topic: Running Shoes - yes or no?  (Read 2018 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Running Shoes - yes or no?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 08:23:55 PM »
If you haven't bought any yet, I highly recco you buy RYKA runners. They are made by women for women.  They fit a woman's arch much better than a man  All those Nike's are made for men and just in smaller sizes for women's small feet.

This would really depend on the OP's feet.  They wouldn't work for me because I have very wide feet with a very low arch.  And hence, why getting a consult at a running store is a good idea.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Iris

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 08:50:50 PM »
OP here. If it makes a difference I have flat feet. I know my ankles tend to roll inwards as a result of this. It's never been an issue before, even when I was doing high impact stuff back in my younger days. Though when the doctor told me she said that weight was a big factor in joint problems and I've always been very slender and usually underweight until the last 5 years. I'm nowhere near obese but definitely in the overweight weight range so that may be causing previously unknown problems too.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 08:59:07 PM »
asics!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
OP here. If it makes a difference I have flat feet. I know my ankles tend to roll inwards as a result of this. It's never been an issue before, even when I was doing high impact stuff back in my younger days. Though when the doctor told me she said that weight was a big factor in joint problems and I've always been very slender and usually underweight until the last 5 years. I'm nowhere near obese but definitely in the overweight weight range so that may be causing previously unknown problems too.

I also over-pronate and I have to use a combo of well fitting running shoes and inserts as well.  It makes a huge difference

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 09:35:34 PM »
My sister, who's in her late 30s, just a started running this past fall. We've had the conversation about running shoes a dozen times since then and two weeks ago she finally broke down and bought a good pair. Today we had a conversation about how much she loves these shoes and what a difference they make.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 10:21:43 PM »
I also highly encourage you to go to a running store and get a good eval done and try out some shoes. Then go online and search the make and model  ;D

I bought the most awesome, comfy, cooly cool shoes online for $17 as opposed to the $$$ that they wanted in store. 6pm.com was the site, but I just Googled and that was the lowest price that I found for that particular shoe model.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
Am I the only one here who thinks that a twinging knee is your body trying to tell you something?  I would check with the doctor to see if maybe running is not a good idea at this time.  As someone who had good knees I make that suggestion.   
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 10:59:27 PM »
Sometimes twinging knees are just the body getting used to a new activity. I wouldn't push it for too long without getting it checked out, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you're injuring yourself. In my case, my knees hurt because I have wide hips, knock knees, and I over-pronate. It can cause discomfort, but with proper gear I'm not injuring myself. However, I know this because I went to my doctor and asked him. So if it doesn't let up soon, or with good shoes, you should go see one.

I have a similar problem. I'm *supposed* to have high arches, but for some reason I started pronating a few years ago. My current pair of running shoes are Brooks.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 11:59:27 PM »
If you haven't bought any yet, I highly recco you buy RYKA runners. They are made by women for women.  They fit a woman's arch much better than a man  All those Nike's are made for men and just in smaller sizes for women's small feet.

This would really depend on the OP's feet.  They wouldn't work for me because I have very wide feet with a very low arch.  And hence, why getting a consult at a running store is a good idea.

Probably not.  However, they are made for the unique aspect of the woman's foot compared to men's feet.  They also come in regular and wide widths.  The point of the shoe is they are made for women by women, not just a different, smaller size than men.  For me, RYKAs are the best fitting shoe and I also have a small arch and very wide feet.  I wasn't saying not to get a consult at a show fitting store.  I just suggested a possible brand.  That's all.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 12:04:15 AM »
Am I the only one here who thinks that a twinging knee is your body trying to tell you something?  I would check with the doctor to see if maybe running is not a good idea at this time.  As someone who had good knees I make that suggestion.

That was my first thought too, over and above the type of shoe.    I absolutely cannot do high impact stuff at all, and this was even before my hip replacement.

I took a boxercise class once that gave me horrible shin splints.  It was awful. Even aquasize using the concrete floor gave me problems.   

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 01:55:47 AM »

That was my first thought too, over and above the type of shoe.    I absolutely cannot do high impact stuff at all, and this was even before my hip replacement.

I took a boxercise class once that gave me horrible shin splints.  It was awful. Even aquasize using the concrete floor gave me problems.

I think we should trust the OP is listening to her body. Sometimes pain is a warning to stop doing something altogether, but sometimes its a sign to change how you are doing it. And that's what she is asking for here - advice on a possible way to change what she is doing, not confirmation to run through the pain.

Shin splints are a great example. When I started running I would get shin splints so badly I would limp. The pain was horrific. But I listened to my body and did some research and started a really diligent stretching routine, that focuses on the calf muscles (the tibialis, the gastrocnemius and the soleus, each individually and as groups) and now I don't get shin splints on my normal runs, only occasionally on very long runs.  And when I do I know how to alleviate them.

We need to trust Iris is listening to her body and is trying to fix the problem, not worsen it.

Iris

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 02:15:54 AM »

I think we should trust the OP is listening to her body. Sometimes pain is a warning to stop doing something altogether, but sometimes its a sign to change how you are doing it. And that's what she is asking for here - advice on a possible way to change what she is doing, not confirmation to run through the pain.

Shin splints are a great example. When I started running I would get shin splints so badly I would limp. The pain was horrific. But I listened to my body and did some research and started a really diligent stretching routine, that focuses on the calf muscles (the tibialis, the gastrocnemius and the soleus, each individually and as groups) and now I don't get shin splints on my normal runs, only occasionally on very long runs.  And when I do I know how to alleviate them.

We need to trust Iris is listening to her body and is trying to fix the problem, not worsen it.

Thanks, WillyNilly. I think this is one of those things that will be skewed by people's personal experiences. All I can do is thank people for their concern and reassure them that while at this stage all signs point to it being a foot position issue, if I start getting other symptoms I will certainly rest until I can consult a doctor.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Redsoil

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 02:32:13 AM »
Treadmills do tend to be somewhat unforgiving surfaces, and the "jogging" isn't necessarily as natural gait as it would be off the machine.  I wonder if perhaps fast walking might be an option for a little while?  Less jarring on what is a very hard surface.  The very nature of the machine tends to force an unnatural position/gait.  However, properly fitted running shoes are well worth looking into.    Hope it all goes well for you Iris, and WOOHOO! for Paris!  :)
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 05:28:17 AM »

Also, your knee may be bothering you because running is too high impact for you.  If the new runners don't work, I suggest you use a different machine... either walk on the treadmill or use the illiptical.

Definitely stop that high impact activity if your knee continues to hurt.  Damaged knees are painful and difficult to fix.

I generally like Nike's fit because i have high arches, but if RYKA are comparable i'll look at them, too. I don't run, but i love the way running shoes fit.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 06:57:48 AM »
 I used to work for a catalog and online sportswear company and I have taken a few things to heart:

1) It is worth every penny to go to a specialty store. A *good* specialty store. One that will sell you what you need, not one that tries to sell you a popular brand/style just cause.

2) Most serious runners whether competiting or not find the right shoe manufacturer for them and stick to it. We were told if the customer's history only ever showed,  say,  Saucony,  don't suggest a different brand if the Sauconys were out in her size.

3) This is no time to be stubborn about shoe sizes.  Nikes are -or were notorious for being 1/2 size small and running narrow, tor example.  So if you find Nike to fit you best don't have a "no! I'm always size 8!!!!" moment when the sales clerk fits you in an 8 1/2.  I used to hear store clerks (certain stores could order through us) having battles and the too vain female screeching about how she ALWAYS wore a 6 and she wasn't going to order a 6 1/2.