Author Topic: Running Shoes - yes or no?  (Read 1976 times)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
Re: Running Shoes - yes or no?
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 07:38:52 AM »
Definitely invest in running shoes. You'll easily save what you spend by not having to have physio or osteopathic treatment. I was reading a running magazine where an expert said that 60%-80% of runners gets injured every years. It's a dangerous sport! From my own experience, you do not want to do anything other than prioritise your knees. They are sooooooo hard to improve once damaged.

Running on a treadmill should always have a slight incline BTW. If you don't it's like running downhill and hurts your knees in a different way. 1% is fine. Apologies if you know that already.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
Am I the only one here who thinks that a twinging knee is your body trying to tell you something?  I would check with the doctor to see if maybe running is not a good idea at this time.  As someone who had good knees I make that suggestion.

That was my first thought too, over and above the type of shoe.    I absolutely cannot do high impact stuff at all, and this was even before my hip replacement.

I took a boxercise class once that gave me horrible shin splints.  It was awful. Even aquasize using the concrete floor gave me problems.

I think we should trust the OP is listening to her body. Sometimes pain is a warning to stop doing something altogether, but sometimes its a sign to change how you are doing it. And that's what she is asking for here - advice on a possible way to change what she is doing, not confirmation to run through the pain.

Shin splints are a great example. When I started running I would get shin splints so badly I would limp. The pain was horrific. But I listened to my body and did some research and started a really diligent stretching routine, that focuses on the calf muscles (the tibialis, the gastrocnemius and the soleus, each individually and as groups) and now I don't get shin splints on my normal runs, only occasionally on very long runs.  And when I do I know how to alleviate them.

We need to trust Iris is listening to her body and is trying to fix the problem, not worsen it.

Where did I say she is trying to worsen her situation?  I just offered a suggestion based on my experience.  It may not be the shoes at all. 

katycoo

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 07:44:55 PM »
I'd recommend getting personalised orthotics made for your shoes over insoles in running shoes, but if your position is that running shoes are expensive, I suspect orthotics are definitely out of budget.

Yes, good running shoes are worth it.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 09:59:41 PM »
I'd recommend getting personalised orthotics made for your shoes over insoles in running shoes, but if your position is that running shoes are expensive, I suspect orthotics are definitely out of budget.

Yes, good running shoes are worth it.

I think it's possible that you can use your FSA or HSA to pay for insoles or orthotics. Obviously, you'd want to check with your provider, but I'm pretty sure ours will reimburse for them. I know they reimbursed me for my knee band thingies.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 10:09:49 AM »
I don't jog but i do walk (both outdoors and on a treadmill) and i workout on a cross trainer, combined with weights. I am mumble mumble 52 and overweight and i find that this is the best way to avoid back/knee problems. Jogging is a great way to exercise but it can put a lot of stress on your joints. So as a few PPs suggested, it may be that you are not doing the best exercise for yourself at this point. Having said that - shoes (whichever type/brand you buy) should be changed out every few months if you are exercising.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools