Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Passover Seder with kids--what would you focus on?

<< < (3/3)

cicero:

--- Quote from: MommyPenguin on March 30, 2013, 11:51:52 AM ---Yes, we did!  We actually had it last night, so that my friend who was coming for a visit (she'd never been to a Seder) could come.

It went... okay.  Unfortunately, the kids got sick a couple of days ago, and while two of them are mostly better, one is sick and miserable.  Somebody sitting at the table whining about this and that definitely put a damper on things.

The kids also weren't really fans of any of the food (and I basically only did the Seder plate stuff, not all the other things like gefilte fish or pickled herring or matzoh ball soup).  Even the charoset!  Ah, well, lots of charoset for me.  :)  I do really like the Haggadah I was using ("Why On This Night?" which I got at my library), and I liked the explanations it gave for some things.

Also?  I tried having the kids hide the Afikomen, and then I'd ransom it (give each kid a quarter) to get it back.  It turned into a huge fight with screaming and crying over which kid actually got to pick the hiding place.  Probably mostly caused by the 4-year-old being sick and just sort of at the end of her tether and very prone to crying jags because she was feeling bad.

I think, though, that some of the issues were because the kids weren't used to doing something like this, and because of the sickie.  So I'm hopeful that next year, things will work out a bit better.  I might also try to involve the kids in prep a bit more next year.  This year it was a bit of a tizzy because my friend was visiting and I was trying to prepare for that, and we're also packing up our house to move, looking for a new house, etc.  So I didn't have a lot of time to devote to getting things ready.

--- End quote ---
glad it went ok. I think you are right, if you do this every year, the kids will get used to it and anticipate what is going on.

I guess because my own DS went to Religious schools and they had a lot of build up and mock seders in school, and also he was involved in the cleaning, shopping, prep etc, so he got more into things.

Moray:
Glad it went okay. In my family, the patriarch hides the afikomen and then the kids get to search for it. We always designated certain areas of the house "on" or "off" limits. Sibling squabbles were settled by making sure the prize was something the whole family could enjoy, like a board game or a movie. That way, the focus is on the thrill of the hunt :)

Also, I've found that most little kids go nuts for matzo ball soup. It tastes familiar to them, and the balls are fun to eat, especially if you make them small-ish. Your Emily and Jenny will probably be old enough to help roll the balls next year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version