Author Topic: Hosting question. Can I pull a Sheldon and claim my favorite spot?  (Read 4982 times)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
Re: Hosting question. Can I pull a Sheldon and claim my favorite spot?
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2013, 11:19:15 PM »
Toots..thanks for making me spit food on my moniter...I was wondering if this was a guy thing too.  I have not lived in my parents house for almost 30 years and I still will not sit in my dad's chair!  My exhusband had a chair, my FIL had  a chair.  I really think it is a guy thing.  As far as the best seat hogs, could you set up the 'best' seat as a throne each week and you pull a name to see who gets the throne?  That way everyone gets a chance to get the throne?

furrcats

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2013, 12:08:50 AM »
Have you got a cat? Just leave something on your prefered spot you know the cat will sleep on and nobody else will sit there because they'll have to move the cat and they can't move the cute little kitty. Then you move the cat and get your spot   Works in my house!

My DH and one of our cats constantly battle over who gets the ottoman.  I don't really understand why he (DH, not the cat) loves to sit on the ottoman so much, but he does.  However Clyde the cat loves it even more.  Every night, DH agonizes over whether to move Clyde or sit somewhere else.  My opinion is that a cat can sit anywhere, human choices are much more limited, so the cat needs to move.
To answer the OP's question, in this situation, I do think you have a right to your preferred seating since you are really doing your HBO-less friends a favor, not hosting in the traditional sense.  However, I think I would try to get to the seat first.  I would personally find it awkward to ask someone to move, although you would well be within your rights in my opinions.

I'd love to see that conversation cats aren't known for putting other peoples needs first why yes I have a cat.  :)

ClaireC79

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2013, 02:18:31 PM »
My two year old would defend your right to 'your' chair.  If someone sits in 'my' chair he'll pull them out of it and then lead me to it (and gets annoyed if I sit elsewhere) - I *think* he's ok with them sitting there when I'm not in the room

Possum

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2013, 11:55:28 AM »
The way I see it is this:  Primarily, it's the same as people have said above.  It's not fair for the same people to get the good spots to sit every single week!  Conspire with a friend or two to have them grab good spots first, to institute a pattern of rotation, or just openly start said pattern.

Now, as the host/ess, if this was the occasional one, it would be expected that you forgo having any sort of reserved seat.  But this is something that happens every week for what, ten weeks, more if you do a last-season recap?  And you're on your third year now?  It goes from just being you hosting a gathering, to you doing them a favor as well.  You provide them your home, a nice TV to watch it on, the use of your facilities, perhaps food/drink, and for some of them, the only legal way to watch the show, especially before they get spoiled by someone at work.

To say, "Guys, after three years, I declare myself the Queen Of This Seat, and y'all need to start taking turns in your peasant spots" is not unreasonable.  Although while my friends would enjoy the way I phrased it there, you might need to rephrase it. ;)

Summary:  Three years, and the same people are still sitting on the floor?  Start mixing it up.  And given the circumstances, I'd say you have every right to secure your favorite week every week.  Sheldon away, soft kitty.