Author Topic: Lines to stop the salespeople, UD#17  (Read 4335 times)

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
Re: Lines to stop the salespeople
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 10:08:14 PM »
I've never had a massage, so might be barking up the wrong tree here. But is it possible the massage place was asking for health reasons? I mean, if you'd been to a different place, and they'd somehow stuffed up your back, might the current place want to know about it so they could adapt their massage techniques if required? (Or disclaim liability, if you tried to sue them down the track, for an injury sustained at a different massage parlour?)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 11:12:47 PM »
I've never had a massage, so might be barking up the wrong tree here. But is it possible the massage place was asking for health reasons? I mean, if you'd been to a different place, and they'd somehow stuffed up your back, might the current place want to know about it so they could adapt their massage techniques if required? (Or disclaim liability, if you tried to sue them down the track, for an injury sustained at a different massage parlour?)

It's very common to be asked "when is the last time you had a massage", probably partly for that reason. But it's usually part of the written health & info form you fill out at the beginning of the appointment. I've rarely had it asked during the massage, unless maybe the therapist hits a particularly nasty spot and asks if I've had anyone working on it. In either case, it should be a single question and move on if the client doesn't want to talk about it, not "grilling" on it like the OP says.

OP, I think you need to cut it off up-front. When you check in, mention "I usually get a lot of questions whenever I come about when I want to book another massage, and it really stresses me out. I'd like to stay relaxed, so please let me just focus on this massage."

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 09:32:01 PM »
OP here with an update.

I had my massage. I was anxious, not wringing hands anxious, but still mentally prepared to shut down a ton of sales tactics. I was thinking of ways to preemptively tell the massage therapist to not use marketing techniques.

When I spoke to my DH about how I called to book the massage and how the owner of the place was really pushy, DH said that he expressly told the lady at the desk when he bought the gift certificates that I didn't want any pushy sales tactics.

I got to my appointment and was waiting in the lobby. Several people came out after their massages and paid. I overheard one of the ladies at the front desk launch into what probably was supposed to turn into a pushy sales technique. She asked one of them "Do you know about our wellness program?" He slumped his shoulders in exasperation and let out a huge frustrated sigh and said "yesss" in an angry tone. That shut her down and she didn't continue.

I figured that was a good way to shut that down but I didn't think I had it in me to produce such a frustrated sigh. But I was prepared to just say "yes" when she asked if I were familiar with the wellness program.

Luckily, the massage therapist was wonderful. I had a relaxing massage. He wasn't pushy at all.

When it was over and I went to the front desk to produce my gift certificate and the lady asked if I were familiar with the wellness program, I just said "yes." And as she inhaled and seemed like she were going to continue, I added "luckily, I have gift cards!" So she stopped trying to sell me things. I'll use that tactic next time too, even though it will be my last gift card.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
Re: Lines to stop the salespeople, UD#17
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 09:54:29 PM »
Glad to hear it went well!  Pushy sales techniques are a huge turn-off for me too so I sympathize. 

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
Re: Lines to stop the salespeople, UD#17
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 10:41:42 PM »
Glad you had a relaxing time.   But sorry you had to shut down the sales pitch.